F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Turba

Reged: Sun
Re: Naples Information [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #62597 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:04 PM

Newbie here, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great info. I've been reading all day. I don't live in FL but my In-Laws do, on Marco Island. They did leave the island, but only went to Naples to a hotel 3 miles from the beach. We tried to talk them into going much, much further north, but they wouldn't. Anyway, of course we are worried about them, but they seem to think that Naples will be OK. I'm not so sure, but all I can do now is wait and hope they come through OK.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
3rdGenFlaNative

Reged: Thu
Loc: Polk County, FL
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: Colleen A.]
      #62598 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:04 PM

OK Colleen - am taking deep breaths as requested... alright, that's better. Thanks so much for the support. Kids are asleep (AND HUBBY! - unbelievable!). Instead of subjecting them to constant tornado warnings on local tv, they watched dvd's until they fell asleep. I've been online, and haven't shown to them any of the panic that I was beginning to feel. So I think you're right, just gonna let everyone else sleep.

Sorry to have sounded like such a lunatic. I've lived here all my life, and have always handled hurricanes, tornado warnings & severe t-storms quite well - no, really! But it seemed like in the period of about an hour the weather service announced several strong tornado warnings for my specific area, while at the same time I watched in disbelief as Wilma started to explode! Guess it just got a little overwhelming. Of course I know that landfall will be well south of me. The unusually severe threat of strong, long-lasting tornados was what really freaked me out. But I do feel better now, and will just continue monitoring the situation, as that's all I can do. I'm truly as prepared as I could be, and I've trained my children well. So, thanks again to everyone for your support, and here's hoping for the best for all of us.

Chelle

--------------------
28.0 N 81.9 W
Inland Tropical Storm Warning
Tornado Watch

Began my entrance into this world during Hurricane Dora, 1964 - Have since experienced effects from: David ('79) - Irene ('99) - Charley, Frances, and Jeanne ('04)

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged: Tue
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Max Mayfield Just Said.. [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #62599 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:06 PM

20' storm surge in the Keys all the way up towards Naples..

Instead of isolated tornadoes in Florida, he now says scattered tornadoes from Northern Central Florida to the Keys - that is a significant change.

JG
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Max Mayfield Just Said.. [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #62600 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:08 PM

Quote:

Instead of isolated tornadoes in Florida, he know says scattered tornadoes from Northern Central Florida to the Keys - that is a significant change.

Because of the intrusion of the cold front, I'm not too suprised to hear the tornado statement. I fear that from Tampa to the Keys we'll be dealing with tornado watches and warnings until after lunch tommorrow if not later. Once the second front blows through, our air will finally get more stable.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Max Mayfield Just Said.. [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #62601 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:09 PM

Quote:

Instead of isolated tornadoes in Florida, he now says scattered tornadoes from Northern Central Florida to the Keys - that is a significant change.

I believe he said 8-17' foot surge.

Edit - Thanks.. that's what I though he said too but then the Met summarized and said 20' so I left it as that. In any case, high.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Sun Oct 23 2005 11:10 PM)

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Naples Information [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #62602 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:10 PM

Quote:

The Weather Channel is also reporting some surge on Key West.

Also saw earlier on TWC Steve Lyons said looks like landfall right now will be around everglades city.

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: MikeC]
      #62603 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:11 PM

Was just watching Melbourne radar (because my personal concern is for the Daytona area where my remaining family lives) and saw what appeared to be a severe tornado cross Cape Canaveral. Earlier this evening, I spent some time on the phone with my 80-something mom trying to convince her to close the roll-down storm shutters before she goes to bed. Now I'm glad I did.

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: 3rdGenFlaNative]
      #62604 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:14 PM

I am glad you are feeling better. While that information about the tornadoes can scare you, the meteorologists on CNN, MSNBC and FNC can freak you out even more because it's ANOTHER BIG HURRICANE STORY!! AGH! I know you said you didn't have cable (consider that a blessing in itself! ) but if you have a radio, tune into WFLA and let Steve Jerve calmly get you through the storm. He has got to be the most calm, down to earth guy I've heard on TV...and he and Jennifer Hill make a great team.
It's amazing how our adrenaline kicks in when needed, isn't it? Now, who's gonna watch the kids tomorrow when we fall asleep on our feet?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #62605 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:15 PM

URNT12 KNHC 240310
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 24/02:46:30Z
B. 24 deg 22 min N
083 deg 50 min W
C. 700 mb 2733 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 215 deg 105 kt
G. 123 deg 036 nm
H. 957 mb
I. 9 C/ 3037 m
J. 15 C/ 3048 m
K. 15 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C55
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 3 nm
P. AF305 2424A Wilma OB 20
MAX FL WIND 114 KT NE QUAD 01:04:30 Z
MAX FL TEMP 18 C 320 / 15 NM FROM FL CNTR

KikiFla

Loc: Miami, FL
Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: MikeC]
      #62606 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:16 PM

Forcast low for Miami on Tuesday morning...... 59 degrees! At least it will be nice to know that we won't be sweltering for once..... once the electricity goes out!

Turba

Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: KikiFla]
      #62607 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:18 PM

Can someone tell me if this site will remain up even if there are massive power outages in FL?

Thanks,
Doug

Edit: we'll do our best - but we are at the mercy of the datacenter which is in VA. We should be ok.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Sun Oct 23 2005 11:30 PM)

shrinkdoc weather watcher

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #62608 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:20 PM

Hi, "first time poster", long time admirer of those knowledgeable about weather. I too have family in Daytona area and fear that if I wasn't learning what was happening from you all, they would not have the foggiest idea of what they could be in for tonight/tomorrow! Thank you for the valuable info and good luck to you all down there, from the quiet West Coast.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: Naples Information [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #62609 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:22 PM

They said on CNN Key West hasn't been hit by a major hurricane since early 1900's. Wilma seems to be aiming
for Key West. Not surprised she is a cat 3 with the way this season has been. Hopefully, she will blow through quickly.
Looks that way. I am praying for everyone that she may affect.

Jonathan Franklin
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami, Florida
Pressure dropping as of 11:30 pm [Re: MikeC]
      #62610 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:23 PM

They're reporting that the pressure is now 957mb per air force reports at an updated 11:30 report.

Jonathan

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: Turba]
      #62611 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:23 PM

Quote:

Can someone tell me if this site will remain up even if there are massive power outages in FL?

Thanks,
Doug

Doing a traceroute on the site, it looks like their host is in Virginia, so it shouldn't have a problem remaining online.

Although there are a few moderators in the state of FL that could find themselves without power or internet access. Sorry to interrupt your post, but it seemed more prudent than doing a redundant answer. -Tom

Edited by tpratch (Sun Oct 23 2005 11:26 PM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: Random Chaos]
      #62612 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:26 PM

LAKE FL-
1112 PM EDT SUN OCT 23 2005

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1145 PM EDT FOR WESTERN
LAKE COUNTY...

AT 1107 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A TORNADO OVER SOUTH LAKE COUNTY. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED
EAST OF STATE ROAD 33 ABOUT 5 MILES SOUTH OF STATE ROAD 50 BETWEEN
CLERMONT AND MASCOTTE. THE STORM WAS MOVING NORTH AT 15 MPH.

THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...
MINNEOLA BY 1125 PM EDT
ASTATULA...HOWEY IN THE HILLS...LITTLE LAKE HARRIS AND 7 MILES
SOUTHEAST OF YALAHA BY 1145 PM EDT

WHEN A TORNADO WARNING IS ISSUED BASED ON DOPPLER RADAR...IT MEANS
THAT STRONG ROTATION HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE STORM. A TORNADO MAY
ALREADY BE ON THE GROUND...OR IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SHORTLY. IF YOU
ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS DANGEROUS STORM...MOVE INDOORS AND TO THE
LOWEST LEVEL OF THE BUILDING. STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS. IF DRIVING...DO
NOT SEEK SHELTER UNDER A HIGHWAY OVERPASS.

A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 AM EDT MONDAY MORNING
FOR EAST CENTRAL FLORIDA.

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: Random Chaos]
      #62613 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:28 PM

They are currently showing footage of the flooding in Key West on Channel 8 here in Tampa. It doesn't look good for them.

--------------------
Matt

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
      #62614 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:30 PM

Well, I'm off for the night. Time to unplug the computer and head out to the living room. It's going to be a long night...

I wanted to say thanks to everyone on this site for their insight and knowledge. To everyone in Wilma's path, stay safe!

Rebecca

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Category 3 Wilma, Strengthening, Moving Rapidly Toward Florida [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #62615 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:30 PM

Just added some Grlevel X images. They update every 5 mins.

http://hardcoreweather.com/showthread.php?t=4173

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Loc: New Orleans, La.
Key West [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #62616 - Sun Oct 23 2005 11:30 PM

Didn't see the usual press coverage of the evacuation of the Keys.
A report on CNN's coverage said that over half of the residents opted to remain.
Initially, the forecast was not for a healthy Cat 3 to hit, if I remember correctly.
Can anyone verify that Key West still has most of its residents??

Edited by BabyCat (Sun Oct 23 2005 11:33 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 121469

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center