Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center : Hurricanes Without the Hype since 1995

The 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season is officially over. June 1st-Nov 30th, 2014 for the next.
Number of days since last Hurricane Landfall in US: 534 (Sandy) , in Florida: 3096 (8 y 5 m) (Wilma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2006 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Great Lakes 45.95N 84.55W
Re:Dr. Gray's Oct forecast/Sept review [Re: cieldumort]
      #73940 - Thu Oct 05 2006 01:08 PM

Couple of interesting things to watch for out there in the near-future...but I don't think anything out there right now is all that threatening. The feature near the Bahamas has a lot of deep convection, but it is fairly disorganized at the moment and largely driven by upper diffluence. I think once the shortwave trough it is associated with either lifts out or hooks up with a feature projected to cut-off along the east coast, this area will look a lot less favorable. (Having said that, somehow you get the feeling that if this were 2005, it might've popped out here already...)

That cut-off low referenced above and the non-tropical low NHC says may form out of the mess by the Bahamas are the two areas of primary concern in the week ahead, I think. It's not all that often that you see cut-off lows at upper levels dive south along the Atlantic coastline like is widely projected by the model guidance for the next 3-5 days -- it's more of a west coast thing -- but this feature could be a prime candidate for tropical transition in the 5 day time period. As it cuts off, if it can get out over the Gulf Stream, the upper level feature should gradually erode, perhaps leaving behind an incipient low pressure area at the surface under favorable conditions for development. It needs to get reasonably far south (probably SC/GA border) to not be caught by an amplifying trough in the east at later times, though, and have enough time to develop. None of the models are showing any more than a weakness at low levels plus an interesting evolution at upper levels right now, but it bears watching -- it's an ideal, if oft-seen, scenario for tropical transition.

The second one has a bit more model support, but in an odd location. The FSU MM5 and NOGAPS (both 00Z runs) show a low pressure system gradually forming out of the mess by the Bahamas, but not for a few days and initially of a cold-core (baroclinic) structure. After accelerating to the east into the open waters of the N. Central Atlantic, however, both of these models show the system trending toward a deep warm core structure at the end of the period (~5 days) per the cyclone phase space. Looking at the MM5 output grids, it shows a vertically stacked area of low pressure somewhat cut off from the predominant steering flow. The cold temperatures aloft with the upper level low feature plus the ~23-24C SSTs in the region could potentially lead to a tropical-type of development not unlike last year's features in the north Atlantic, but I wouldn't put heavy odds on it right now. Note that the 06Z GFS showed purely cold-core development out of this one, while the 00Z UKMET didn't really capture anything out there. Still, potentially interesting to watch.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas 30.40N 97.80W
Re:Dr. Gray's Oct forecast/Sept review [Re: Clark]
      #73941 - Thu Oct 05 2006 07:09 PM

I have to say, I am - a little bit surprised - that we do not have Invest tags up in the vicinities of 21N 96W and also 27N 67W. Both locations now have multiple disorganized LLCs. Admittedly not very impressive at this time, but certainly every bit as impressive as those seen with many other Invests.

Take a look:
SW GOM Disturbance
Bahamas - Bermuda area Disturbance

Suffice it to say, if these features persist overnight, and especially if they also organize just a little bit further, I will *really* be surprised not to see them tagged.

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: New Port Richey, Fl 28.27N 82.65W
99L [Re: cieldumort]
      #73943 - Fri Oct 06 2006 09:01 AM

99L is up.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

Another one for the fish!

cieldumort

Loc: Texas 30.40N 97.80W
Re: 99L [Re: Hootowl]
      #73945 - Fri Oct 06 2006 11:21 PM

Looks like all it needs is a little more and somewhat *deeper* convection to hold close to and/or over the center to be classified STD, IMHO. Scatterometer really shows off the primary LLC tonight(can be seen here).

Pressures do seem to be dropping (99L was most recently analyzed as 1007MB).
Nearby ship just reported 29.75" at 00Z

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
Re: 99L [Re: cieldumort]
      #73946 - Sat Oct 07 2006 04:10 AM

that thing (99L) is under too much shear and already headed out. the globals show the intense upper cutoff low dropping south and then opening into a shortwave trough and whipping east as the flow becomes progressive again early next week. it doesn't look like the sort of thing that would persist enough to transition.
there are some sharp troughs and cold air outbreaks coming down into the eastern u.s. later this month, but none have the staying power or blocky tendencies that tend to force pressure falls in the tropics. harder to say how things will look later in the month, with the MJO predicted to come east. the look of the pattern is one of an el nino-carved autumn, with strong westerlies and an active storm track from the plains into the northeast. things will have to relapse back towards summer briefly to squeeze another storm out of the basin... hard to see much happening with the current pattern.
HF 2010z07october

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 28036

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center