F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Forecast Updates
      #75740 - Thu Jul 05 2007 08:27 AM

Yesterday (07/04) TSR issued their revised forecast of seasonal activity in the Atlantic basin and lowered their expectations to 15/8/4. Given what is now expected for ENSO conditions, it would not surprise me at all to see them further lower their expectations again next month.

This morning NCEP issued their updated 6-month forecast of anticipated SST conditions. They now (once again) anticipate a strong La Nina to be in place by August and maintain it at strong to moderate strength for the remainder of the year. The forecast also continues the trend of slightly cooler than normal conditions off the southeast U.S. coast and in the eastern tropical Atlantic.

Latest 6-month SST Forecast

Coupled with a resultant increase in tropical trade winds, this usually translates to an active season - but not a highly active one. If the strong La Nina materializes, statistically there is only about a 12% chance for a highly active season.
Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HURRICANELONNY
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: HOLLYWOOD,FL.
Re: Forecast Updates [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #75745 - Thu Jul 05 2007 01:33 PM

It seems every year TSR starts dropping there #'s. Now I'm worried I'll get hit again.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Forecast Updates [Re: HURRICANELONNY]
      #75759 - Fri Jul 06 2007 09:52 PM

Boy, it's been a while since I've posted here, I don't know where I've been lol

IMHO, I don't see any sort of strong la nina during the summer. The CFS has had trouble with the SSTA magnitude, and with recent SOI trends, that could continue longer, it would seem to run counter to what the model is showing. The SOI has been slightly negative of late, but was very negative just recently (after a string of very strong positives).

I did a study last year that showed that the teleconnection pattern that favored the most activity, and landfalls of named storms on the east coast, happened with a -PDO, +AMO, and neutral-cold ENSO conditions. Some of that is common sense though, as there should be more activity with a +AMO, and neutral-cold ENSO.
One thing that I found most interesting was the AMO/ENSO numbers. A -AMO/+ENSO averaged about 7 named storms per year, whereas a +AMO/+ENSO averages about 11 storms per year. That was the biggest difference in combinations that was seen, 4 extra storms over the -AMO is huge. Last year, 11 named storms. (I still think one should have been named). That showed me the importance of the AMO, which is running postive.

A couple months ago, I went with 16/9/4, and I will stay with that for now.

Jack

HURRICANELONNY
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: HOLLYWOOD,FL.
Re: Forecast Updates [Re: MrSpock]
      #75762 - Sun Jul 08 2007 10:58 AM

I never knew about the AMO and the #'s. Good to know. As for 16 names that sounds about right. As for landfalls. Who knows. No 2005 and no 2006. Other then that. I'd be the first to say I have no clue. This year has got me a little baffled.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6474

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center