Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 45 (Nate) , Major: 63 (Maria) Florida - Any: 73 (Irma) Major: 73 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2007 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk County, Florida
94L
      #78844 - Sat Sep 22 2007 08:05 PM

Ok, I have to ask. I have refrained from weathermongering since the onset of Cane season due to a variety of reasons, one mainly being the financial aspects of trying to call storms early. But, this one looks like its got Jerry's name plastered on it with a surprise visit by Monday morning through Tampa Bay area, with the look of an Erica, or another Cat 1 look to it. I think it will be just strong enough to let the Civil defense workers bust out their practice evacuation routes and/or spend the morning cancelling school and public services. It will give my work place the opportunity to cover up some work equipment in the morning in time for the evening shift to come in and uncover it......fun..... different for this season.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL 28.49N 81.47W
Re: 94L [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #78862 - Sun Sep 23 2007 10:11 AM

94Ls surface low looks like it'll encounter shear once it gets into the Bay of Campeche, so i'm doubting this will even develop now. Still worth watching, however. Conditions may become more favorable later still, and the fact it is in the Gulf makes it even more unpredictable.

This is probably the most likely to develop of the waves, but i doubt it'll get too strong.

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: SWFL 26.89N 82.29W
      #78874 - Sun Sep 23 2007 11:57 AM

Well, it's not Jerry. *LOL* The one in the north Atlantic received that designation. The models are showing it being a Tex-Mex storm. Why do you think it's going to be a FL storm?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: 94L [Re: madmumbler]
      #78875 - Sun Sep 23 2007 12:39 PM

A rose by any other name smells as sweet. Shakespeare

I did get the name wrong but I think they did not want a catchy name plastered to a threatening storm.
They used to not name nonthreatening storms, if my memory recalls. Ok lets name it the K name which I will have to look up.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida 30.51N 86.50W
      #78877 - Sun Sep 23 2007 01:29 PM

They used to not name storms, period, if you go back far enough. Then, they only named storms that they knew about, since it was pre-satellites when they began naming them I believe.

As for 94L... the actual LOW center is not likely to be much of a threat to anyone, but just looking at the continuous flow of moisture coming out of the system and into the central Gulf region, it's impressive in terms of the amount of rain it's going to provide. I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't be shocked if the LLC were to reform, either, close to the massive convection.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL 26.89N 82.29W
      #78884 - Sun Sep 23 2007 08:25 PM

But you didn't say why you think 94L is going to be a FL storm when the models are pushing it west? (With the exception of the CLP5 model, which has hooked EVERY single storm to the right of the track of all the other models. *LOL* )

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: 94L [Re: madmumbler]
      #78889 - Sun Sep 23 2007 10:42 PM

Lets not harp on the issue - remember, in the Forecast Lounge rationale is not required.
ED

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: 94L [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #78894 - Mon Sep 24 2007 08:42 AM

This system has gone from "most likely to develop" to least likely. It mostly avoided the Bay of Campeche and is in the Central Gulf now, it still could form, but chances are falling.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl. 30.16N 85.76W
Re: 94L [Re: MikeC]
      #78909 - Mon Sep 24 2007 12:52 PM

oh its got its act together this morning... just a little shear from the SW, but that should weaken.... looks to be heading WNW

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#78913 - Mon Sep 24 2007 01:09 PM

Quote:

This system has gone from "most likely to develop" to least likely. It mostly avoided the Bay of Campeche and is in the Central Gulf now, it still could form, but chances are falling.

Then they suddenly shot up after I wrote that. In fact it's doing all the right things, may be even called by 5PM if not sooner if recon gets in there.

This one is in light steering currents which most of the time would put it wildly tracking, but the high forecast to build north of it will push it generally west if not south of west into Mexico. Upper air seems to indicate it won't get to anything stronger than Tropical Storm strength, either.

srquirrely
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: SARASOTA 27.27N 82.53W
      #78914 - Mon Sep 24 2007 01:32 PM

Something that looks alot like a tropical wave seems to be wanting to form over Lake Okeechobee...
I know it's a big lake, but with our current drought conditions I doubt if it's big enough !
Is this possible? Is the Florida peninsula not big enough to be considered land ? :?:

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Georgia Tech 33.78N 84.40W
      #78943 - Tue Sep 25 2007 01:44 AM

Well, it feel apart in the afternoon but so far tonight it looks like it's building some moderate convection around the center the NRL site has sat shots from GOES-11 that isn't under blackout so you can see the developing convection to the SE of the center, to the North, and over the center. Looks to be a little shear over the storm, but less than before, the convection certainly isn't organized enough to call it a depression, but it should keep it around for a bit longer. (as the mantra of the ages, persistence in convection is the key)

If it has convection around the center in 12 hours... that's the key for development, otherwise it'll have to hope to pulse again. (it's moving slowly enough to have a few days to get it's act together, so maybe it'll be better for it to wait... heh)

I can't even hazard a percentage on development, I just know it's not there right now. but it could be in 24 hours.

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2018.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12504

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center