F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Bryan

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: byrdlh]
      #82663 - Thu Aug 21 2008 05:44 PM

It's gotten fairly nasty here in Maitland in the past 30 minutes. Windy/gusty and heavy rain.

--------------------
If everyone posting here donated $5-$10 would we get to enjoy faster servers and help more people with vital information?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
angelhologram

Reged: Mon
Loc: Jacksonville, Florida USA
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: angelhologram]
      #82691 - Thu Aug 21 2008 11:40 PM

UPDATE:
It's definately picked up here. Consistant wind of about 35-40mph with much stronger gusts. I sat in a chair on the porch and a gust moved the chair with me in it (135lbs + chair). I saw the sky lighting up pale yellow, blue, pink, lavender several times before realizing it was transformers blowing.
School closed in Duval, Nassau, Clay, Putnam, St Johns tomorrow.

Bill_hawe

Reged: Sat
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: angelhologram]
      #82700 - Fri Aug 22 2008 07:42 AM

Here in Tallahassee, Leon County has shut down the schools, but state offices are still open, The kicker, you only come into work, if you live in the county. Go figure.

Sky is heavy overcast, and we're getting the first rain bands shortly. We've locked down best we can and can only hope the water rolls downhill into the drains like they say it will.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: Bill_hawe]
      #82710 - Fri Aug 22 2008 11:01 AM

More wind and rain than we've seen around here this week, but that's to be expected with the westerly fetch from the gulf. Some periods of calm followed by 15 - 25 MPH winds with slightly higher gusts. Light to moderate persistent rain. I'd expect heavier t-storms later tonight and tomorrow when the wind becomes southwesterly.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

angelswatch
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Loc: FL
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: Bill_hawe]
      #82713 - Fri Aug 22 2008 11:43 AM

Here in Homosassa Springs we have had 8 inches of rain since midnight and more still coming. Rain is falling lightly with sporadic down pours and large gusts as storm bands move through.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: angelswatch]
      #82715 - Fri Aug 22 2008 12:11 PM

Still getting feeder bands with rain and storms in Naples with more on the way. She was here early Tuesday morning. She should be long gone.

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: KC]
      #82729 - Fri Aug 22 2008 01:50 PM

Finally getting some heavier bands of squalls now. Looks on radar like the COC is drifting south west as if drawn toward the waters of the GOM. I am a bit concerned about what we get overnight and tomorrow here if she picks up that warm moist air over the Gulf and flings it back on us like in Melborne. Coastal flooding will probably be the main concern, but there are a host of other potential probs as we have seen occur elsewhere. Batten down the hatches in the Tampa-St Pete are. I think it will be the proverbial 'Dark and Stormy Night'!!

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Re: Fay's New Love Affair - New Orleans? [Re: MikeC]
      #82731 - Fri Aug 22 2008 02:09 PM

getting a light show down here from a feeder band now. Hard to beleive Fay is over 300 miles away and it is still making our weather.

(Post moved to the apropriate Forum)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 23 2008 10:10 PM)

ZooKeeper
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Loc: Live in Chiefland & work in Ce...
Re: Preparations, Closings and Conditions in Your Area [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #82751 - Fri Aug 22 2008 08:36 PM

It's been pretty quiet for the last couple of hours but it's starting to pick up again as we're bordering on the back wall of the storm. Winds picking up to about 20-22mph and just starting a hard rain. I'm in between Chiefland and Cedar Key and have seen some local flooding of a few area streets and the main county road that runs between these two areas have rain standing in the ditches about to overflow onto the road. We live on 40 acres with a small pond that has tributary flow from the Suwannee and the water has risen significantly so far today and expect quite a bit more tomorrow.

--------------------
The storm that began a lifelong facination: Donna 1960 (Eyewall)

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #82769 - Sat Aug 23 2008 08:45 AM

no rain yet here in Pensacola..but it is coming. Winds at 25mph with gusts to 35. It will definately not be a golf day.

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 23 2008 10:04 PM)

Trekman
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Fort Walton Beach FL
      #82772 - Sat Aug 23 2008 09:21 AM

It has rained a little bit here. The winds are around 10 mph, with a gust of about 21 mph. So far the impact in Okaloosa has been little if any. The winds are pushing the waves in the bay towards the island. And as I turn around and look outside the door, the rain is coming down a little harder now.

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 23 2008 10:41 PM)

Fla. native in Ala.

Loc: Montgomery, Al.
Re: Fay & Future Features [Re: MikeC]
      #82798 - Sat Aug 23 2008 07:50 PM

Well, here in South Central Alabama, we are getting a fair amount of wind (enough to make the power blink a bunch and bring tree branches down) and a lot of constant steady rain. While the rain is great, we really hope we can avoid tornado activity (although there are warnings in four nearby counties) and the flooding everybody in Fla. has had. Be happy for the "dud" on the coast. Hope N.O. is as lucky!

(Post moved to the appropriate Forum.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 23 2008 10:32 PM)

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Fay's New Love Affair - New Orleans? [Re: pcola]
      #82814 - Sun Aug 24 2008 05:37 AM

The white area is equal to 8 + inches of total rainfall. I know the WFO at FSU has had better than 11 inches. The west panhandle of Florida got real lucky with Fay. Some have made some comments about Fay not being "bad"... just a few miles made the difference here In NW FL as to what was bad or not... Please pay attention to the past couple of days, this is no joke.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Edited by Storm Cooper (Sun Aug 24 2008 05:45 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 54145

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center