Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Atlentic Basin Remains Quiet and Next Hurricane Season Starts on June 1, 2017.
# of days since last Hurricane Landfall - US: Any 55 (Matthew) , Major: 4057 (11 y 1 m) (Wilma) Florida - Any: 91 (Hermine) Major: 4057 (11 y 1 m) (Wilma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2009 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Tropical Storm Erika Forms East of the northern Leeward Islands [Re: MichaelA]
      #86734 - Tue Sep 01 2009 04:50 PM

5:00 PM EDT Tue Sep 1
Max sustained: 50 mph
Moving: WNW at 9 mph
Min pressure: 1007 mb

Cheers,
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Evan Johnson
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Loxahatchee, FL 26.79N 80.28W
Re: Tropical Storm Erika Forms East of the northern Leeward Islands [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #86735 - Tue Sep 01 2009 04:55 PM

well the NHC pulled the trigger like we all figured as of 5pm update. seems like the model runs are agreeing on a more nw track. ill be curious to see if there are any westward tracks. i dont buy the nw movement yet.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Rhode Island 26.19N 80.10W
Re: Tropical Storm Erika Forms East of the northern Leeward Islands [Re: Evan Johnson]
      #86736 - Tue Sep 01 2009 05:18 PM

Well I was off by one day in pulling the trigger on Erica.I think we will have to wait till late tonight or till Wednesday for the models to get a handle on Erica.Right now they are all over the place.Some move the HIGH more west and block it from going north others do not.Erica is something to watch closely if you live on the east coast.This will be an interesting week.

--------------------

Survived:
Gloria,Bob,Katrina,Wilma and a bunch of tropical storms.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida 30.51N 86.50W
Re: Tropical Storm Erika Forms East of the northern Leeward Islands [Re: Evan Johnson]
      #86737 - Tue Sep 01 2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

well the NHC pulled the trigger like we all figured as of 5pm update. seems like the model runs are agreeing on a more nw track. ill be curious to see if there are any westward tracks. i dont buy the nw movement yet.

Me either. The system is so weak and sheared, that should keep it on a western track. Of course, models forecast it to become a hurricane. The official forecast has it weakening despite the model forecasts, yet moving more NW in agreement with them... which seems odd to me.

Edit:
Well, over the last few hours it seems Erika has gotten much better organized, to be at least. There is a big blowup of convection where I thought the LLC was.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Tue Sep 01 2009 06:21 PM)

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Loc: Opelika, AL 32.71N 85.23W
Re: HPC - Carribbean Forecast Discussion [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #86743 - Tue Sep 01 2009 06:35 PM

Ed's right. I've been looking at the Visible Imagery over the last few hours and there is a closed LLC right on the western edge of convection. If you draw streamers, it's elongated but there. I'm fine with NHC pulling the trigger on Erika. I can't remember the last time a depression was called looking like this, but they had to have debated about this, but adhering to the strict definition it's at least a depression, so I'm cool with it. I found some Navy forecast wind shear data and the US is closed for tropical weather for at least the next 4 to 5 days. This is a tough call one way or the other. Who knows they could go back out there and not find a center and then what, post Gale force warnings, not Tropical Storm watches; what's the difference to someone who knows the wind is blowing rather stiff?

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: HPC - Carribbean Forecast Discussion [Re: berrywr]
      #86745 - Tue Sep 01 2009 06:54 PM

Yeah, there's no real difference other than the fact that a tropical storm is likely to strengthen whereas an open gale wave is not likely to reach hurricane force winds (at least, I doubt it would).

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Hawkeyewx
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sun
Re: HPC - Carribbean Forecast Discussion [Re: Hugh]
      #86749 - Tue Sep 01 2009 07:28 PM

Brand new recon fix has the pressure down as much as 4 mb since the last fix two hours ago. It also found the center has moved slightly east of north.... which means the convection continues to try to suck it in.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: HPC - Carribbean Forecast Discussion [Re: Hawkeyewx]
      #86751 - Tue Sep 01 2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Brand new recon fix has the pressure down as much as 4 mb since the last fix two hours ago. It also found the center has moved slightly east of north.... which means the convection continues to try to suck it in.

Interesting, I'm looking at the HDOBs and seeing very high pressures, but I also saw a 1004 in a vortex. It's definately looking a bit better on satellite.

--------------------
Hugh

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 45170

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center