Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center : Hurricanes Without the Hype since 1995

The 2014 Atlantic Hurricane season is over. 2015's run June 1st-Nov 30th, 2015.
Number of days since last Hurricane Landfall in US: 171 (Arthur) , in Florida: 3346 (9 y 1 m) (Wilma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2009 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL 28.49N 81.47W
Conditions Not Good for Development
      #86934 - Tue Sep 15 2009 06:02 PM

Conditions are not good for development, these are good words to hear in mid September, and this year we have seen the overall poor conditions for development across the Atlantic basin persist. There are three areas worth watching, one is a wave just west of Africa that has a low chance for development, if it does, it is likely to weaken well before land and possibly go out to sea.

Another wave is actually the remnants of Hurricane Fred, still moving westward, it could redevelop, it has a low chance of redevelopment as well. It likely will enter an area more favorable for development in a few days. But again, this will likely not affect land with any real threat. It could get close if it stays weak, but its more likely to be picked up and dragged out to sea by a front if that happens. Time will tell on that.

Another area east of the Bahamas is a stalled out front, this has a low chance to develop as well, but even this is not likely to affect the United States.

None of the above are being tracked as invest areas at this time.

Hopefully the rest of the season remains quiet.

TD#8 Event Related Links

Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of TD#8

stormplotthumb_8.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page
Clark Evans Track Model Plot of TD#8 (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of TD#8 (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of TD#8

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for TD#8
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on TD#8 -- RAMMB Info

Floater Satellite Images: Visible (Loop), IR (Loop), WV (Loop), Dvorak (Loop), AVN (Loop), RGB (Loop), Rainbow (Loop), Funktop (Loop), RB Top Loop)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Lexington, Ky 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Conditions Not Good for Development [Re: MikeC]
      #86938 - Wed Sep 16 2009 04:06 AM

Models have been re-initiated for 07L (Fred).

07L appeared very nearly to be on the way to wrapping itself up in deep convection late last night, but as has often been the case these past 48 hours or so, this attempt was once again deflected to the north and northeast. Fred currently appears as one might expect a highly-sheared former major hurricane that still retains a potent surface circulation to appear. Scatterometer picked up some arguably legit 40+ knot vectors Tuesday, and a fairly tight LLC still exists within the center of the stripped cyclone.

Invest Fred may very well have a real chance of regaining some of its former glory, but any path to such an upgrade still seems slow, as the ULL to Fred's WSW continues to inject just a ton of dry air into the system, while also shoving each and every blowup of deep convection to the north, south, and east. It almost seems as if Fred may have a better shot of reorganizing into a hybrid cyclone, until or unless the ULL appreciably fills. Truly, the number of ways Fred can earn his name again are not limited, but each avenue remains fraught with difficulty. Nonetheless, the weekend might become a lot more interesting given Invest Fred's most likely future track and several potential opportunities for further organization.

hogrunr
Weather Guru

Loc: Spring, TX 30.07N 95.51W
Re: Conditions Not Good for Development [Re: cieldumort]
      #86939 - Wed Sep 16 2009 10:53 AM

Considering Fred's Surface circulation is still well organized, we might actually be able to believe the models somewhat with this re-developing system. HWRF, CMC, and NGP all have the system crossing or just south of Florida at about the 5-6 day mark as a strong Tropical storm to Cat 1 storm. The intensity plots also almost all agree to strengthening to more than Cat 1 in that same time period.

Also the wave just south of Puerto Rico is looking better this morning, some convection that is off center from the surface circulation, but worth watching.

Edited by hogrunr (Wed Sep 16 2009 11:03 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Conditions Not Good for Development [Re: hogrunr]
      #86940 - Wed Sep 16 2009 02:17 PM

I've been watching Ex-Fred and the area south of Puerto Rico for the past few days. They are persistantly persistant. Pardon the English...

I was looking around at some super extended text model output for Key West and I did appear that some type of Low Pressure system would be in the are in the next 5 days or so.
Slowly falling barometer and wind directions consistant with a Low passing thru the area.

However the forecast wind speeds at Key West over the next 16 day 12Z forecast weren't in the tropical depression range. Mostly in the under 20 knot range.

Cool wave progged to pass into the Lower Mississippi Valley over the weekend should kick the remains of what could have been the "G" storm that spun up in the NW GOM last week. Question is, will the cool/ long wave be enough to boot Ex-Fred off to the NE before nearing Florida. Have to wait that one out.
Another really potent longwave/ cold front lies offshore the Pacific Northwest at this time. Probably be late next week before it could make to the N GOM area.
While the cool waves don't really have a lot to do with the tropics, they may be just strong enough to deflect anything that might move into the area.

Keep an eye on the Bay of Campeche. Nice cluster of heavy thunderstorms popped up there earlier. Appear to be on the very southern end of the inflow to the cutoff upper Low over the ArkLaTex.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL 27.20N 80.30W
Re: Conditions Not Good for Development [Re: danielw]
      #86941 - Wed Sep 16 2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Question is, will the cool/ long wave be enough to boot Ex-Fred off to the NE before nearing Florida.

This is the 2nd poster that's eluded that a system [maybe just good ol rain?] will be around Florida soon.
Any idea when Florida might be affected?

cieldumort

Loc: Lexington, Ky 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Conditions Not Good for Development [Re: MikeC]
      #86942 - Wed Sep 16 2009 09:09 PM

Well, what was just yesterday looking like almost getting ready to make a real comeback, Fred has been disassembled by its nearby ULL into an ever-weakening open wave today. If its chances for any near-term revival were low before this happened, they seem practically non-existent now. Short of writing xFred off altogether, at best over the next few days, odds probably favor that the remnants of Fred may continue to interact with the ULL which has engulfed it, and, at best, the duo may still transition into a hybrid of sorts (nameable or not).

It hardly looks like mid-September out there.

docrod
Weather Watcher

Loc: Florida Keys, Key Colony Beach 24.72N 81.02W
Re: Conditions Not Good for Development [Re: cieldumort]
      #86945 - Thu Sep 17 2009 04:04 PM

Fred seem to be making one more go of it this afternoon (9/17)

link

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: Lauderdale-By- the- Sea,Fl 26.19N 80.10W
Fred not dead! [Re: docrod]
      #86946 - Thu Sep 17 2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Fred seem to be making one more go of it this afternoon (9/17)

link

Amazing!Fred will not die.
http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/SATATL_FLOAT2/anim8vis.html

--------------------

Survived:
Gloria,Bob,Katrina,Wilma and a bunch of tropical storms.

Edited by ftlaudbob (Thu Sep 17 2009 06:07 PM)

docrod
Weather Watcher

Re: Fred not dead! [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #86947 - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Fred seems to be making one more go of it this afternoon (9/17)

link

Amazing!Fred will not die.
http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/SATATL_FLOAT2/anim8vis.html

Indeed - btw I wish I could type (e.g. "seem" should be "seems" in my earlier post)

The convection is still holding up ... somewhat ... the NHC now rates it "Yellow"

I'm by no means concerned here (some shear evident north to south in the latest ir), but I intend to keep my powder and humor dry.

- take care

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: 36.02N 75.67W
Re: Fred not dead! [Re: docrod]
      #86949 - Fri Sep 18 2009 08:52 AM

Fred didn't have a good night, but it looks now like the circulation and convection are trying to get on the same sheet of music http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/flash-rb.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: Fred not dead! [Re: Ed in Va]
      #86950 - Fri Sep 18 2009 10:13 AM

Yes, Fred is looking like he's trying to organize again. Warmer SSTs ahead. Shear is still impinging on him from the NE. This will need to slacken in order for him to get his act together. Ships now brings him to 59 knots, and the BAMs show him getting close to anywhere from south Florida to SC. We'll see how he does today. Cheers!

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Loc: Opelika, AL 32.71N 85.23W
Re: Fred not dead! [Re: Steve H1]
      #86951 - Fri Sep 18 2009 05:22 PM

There's an upper ridge forecasted for the Southeast USA and quite strong next week. Shear continues to lighten in the whole region. I haven't looked at anything yet other than a zoom up on visible satellite and tops being sheared away to the SSW, but a tight little swirl nevertheless approaching the Bahamas. NHC had dropped it altogether for one forecast cycle and it appeared again this morning and their outlook speaks of lesser shear. If it continues west, it will have to cross FL and then into the GOM, but that's at least a couple days away. Upper low expected to cutoff as a strong shortwave drops out of Canada into the South Central US. Anyway, more on that later when I have time to look at the big picture.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"To work in the service of life and the living..." - John Denver

docrod
Weather Watcher

Re: Fred not dead! [Re: berrywr]
      #86952 - Fri Sep 18 2009 09:38 PM

Or maybe a stall/slow-down ?? At any rate, the NWS Key West is starting to introduce uncertainty on Fred-Ex's passage over S Florida.

NWS EYW

btw - today is the anniversary of the 1926 Great Miami storm.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Loc: Central Florida 28.12N 81.99W
Re: Fred not dead! [Re: docrod]
      #86957 - Tue Sep 22 2009 04:41 PM

Umm, is the circulation of Fred right over Central FL right now? I seem to see a spiral pattern within the thunderstorms popping up this afternoon. It seems to be a nice big circle. Could be coincidence I guess.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator

Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Fred not dead! [Re: JoshuaK]
      #86958 - Tue Sep 22 2009 08:50 PM

Actually the low-level center of Fred (or what is left of it) was located by radar 80 miles east (092 deg) of Melbourne at 8pm ET moving to the west southwest at about 8-10mph. The wave axis should reach the coast before sunrise with showers and a possible thunderstorm for the Wednesday morning commute along the east central Florida coast.

Even with all of the pockets of windshear, the low level circulation made quite a lengthy journey across the pond.
ED

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL 27.83N 82.69W
Re: Fred not dead! [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #86959 - Wed Sep 23 2009 08:26 PM

What's going on in the Western Caribbean tonight?

--------------------
Michael
2014: 8/2/0
2014 Actual: 8/6/2

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Re: Fred not dead! [Re: MichaelA]
      #86960 - Wed Sep 23 2009 08:33 PM

I noticed that and came on here to comment about it. It seems an area of convection is developing and wrapping around an upper level low just to the NE of the Nicaragua/Honduras border in the Western Caribbean, with the entire system seeming to be slowly drifting torwards the north.

rgd
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Fred not dead! [Re: JoshuaK]
      #86961 - Thu Sep 24 2009 10:21 PM

We had a Thunderstorm over my house tonight the cable went out.

Black Pearl
Weather Watcher

Loc: Mobile Bay
Re: Fred not dead! [Re: rgd]
      #86963 - Fri Sep 25 2009 12:58 PM

NRL posted 99L

Floater One

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Re: Fred not dead! [Re: Black Pearl]
      #86967 - Fri Sep 25 2009 05:18 PM

It's official. 99L has formed into Tropical Depression Eight, as advisories have now commenced. Forecasted to be a little like Fred was originally, strengthen into a Tropical Storm, then curved up and dissipate because of increasing wind shear, and not a threat to land at all it seems so far.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19881

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center