F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane History

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Low Latitude Tropical Cyclones
      #87550 - Mon Jun 14 2010 01:04 AM

A central Atlantic tropical cyclone in June is a rare event but Invest 92L seems destined to develop into one. Clark has pointed out how unusual it is for a tropical cyclone to develop in the middle of the basin in June at such a far eastern and far southern location. I examined all of the seasons since the start of the satellite era in 1964 to see just how often a tropical cyclone forms at a latitude of 10 degrees North or less in any month. The historical record was limited to only those storms that eventually became at least a tropical storm.

Those 46 seasons produced 494 tropical storms/hurricanes and subtropical storms with 18 Tropical Depressions forming at a latitude below 10 degrees (3.6% of the total number of storms). Four of the 18 became a tropical storm at or below 10 degrees North latitude. In 1990, Fran became a tropical storm at 9.0N 53.6W. Also in 1990, Isidore became a tropical depression at 7.2N 23.4W and a tropical storm at 10.0N 32.7W. In 2002, Dolly became a tropical storm at 9.7N 32.2W and in 2004, Ivan became a tropical storm at 9.7N 35.0W. Ivan was unique in that it dipped south of due west and became a 50 knot TS at 8.9N 36.5W, a hurricane at 9.5N 43.0W and reached a sustained wind of 115 knots at 10.6N 48.5W. Joan (1988) gets honorable mention with TS status at 10.1N 45.0W.

Invest 92L has a chance to join this short list if it should attain TD status while still below 10 degrees in latitude.
ED

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Low Latitude Tropical Cyclones [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #87551 - Mon Jun 14 2010 03:06 AM

Context is everything, and the more intensely I review records going back even just a few short years ago, the less faith I have in the historical records. Nonetheless, a bona fide early season tropical cyclone formation south of 10N.. east of 50W still has to be quite a feat, especially, especially this early in a season, however imperfect the records may be.

Having said that, it looks as if 92L may be trying to recenter its LLC more closely aligned with the deepest convection tonight, which has been existing to the north of the old center. A similar event taking place last overnight appeared to help cause the entire feature to temporarily shift track a little more to the northwest, than wnw or w.

In some regards, 92L is tonight reminding me of pre-Hurricane Humberto (2007). With its persistent, healthy surface low encountering some exceptionally low shear and within very favorable TPW, while over fully supportive SSTs - I do see a real chance for fairly rapid development up until 92L bumps into the shear monster still at least a day or two away.

The largest inhibiting factors until that encounter would be its size, followed closely by its closeness to the equator.

As for position, if re-centering concludes, my best guess puts the coc now closer to 9N 38.5W as of 6 UTC.

--------------------
Fully vaccinated as of May 2021
(Moderna x2)

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Low Latitude Tropical Cyclones [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #87559 - Mon Jun 14 2010 10:48 AM

Invest 92L continues to consolidate but additional organization near the center is still required before the system can reach TD strength. Approximate satellite position estimate puts the center near 10.2N 40.8W at 14/14Z. Movement is now more to the west northwest rather than northwest - at about 18 knots.
ED

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4913

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center