F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Thoughts on Tropical Storm Bonnie [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #88454 - Fri Jul 23 2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

C**interesting the second vortex fix was done over land by the Air Force before they departed and went home** Do you still drop a GPS dropsonde over land?

In that part of the Everglades? Why not? It is very sparsely populated, if at all, in that area.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Thoughts on Tropical Storm Bonnie [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #88455 - Fri Jul 23 2010 06:16 PM

Most if not all the moisture is NW , by quite a distance, from the center. The storm is drawing dry air into itself from the SW and that air is wrapping around, and has virtuallly killed any decent convection on the north and east sides. The "core" of the system,if that is what it is, does have convection immediately north, west and south. Everglades City had a pretty good shower recently which was contained in the SW band accompanying the center. The center itself should be exiting near the Lee/Collier (Bonita Beach) area soon. Looking out to the west however, there is little for the system to draw on to maintain itself. It will have to re-generate convection based on the GOM, or it will not survive.

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Thoughts on Tropical Storm Bonnie [Re: doug]
      #88457 - Fri Jul 23 2010 06:24 PM

I think Bonnie will make it into the GOM as a Tropical Depression since it will be hitting water in about 1/1.5 hours. We'll see what the 18Z models say but I don't see the system going any further east than Louisiana for its landfall. In fact, the 12Z ECWMF shows the system moving into Texas. Conditions will likely inhibit Bonnie from getting above Tropical Storm(if that-I even wonder) intensity before landfall. But from what I can tell, the center is moving nearly due west.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Thoughts on Tropical Storm Bonnie [Re: MichaelA]
      #88458 - Fri Jul 23 2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

C**interesting the second vortex fix was done over land by the Air Force before they departed and went home** Do you still drop a GPS dropsonde over land?
In that part of the Everglades? Why not? It is very sparsely populated, if at all, in that area.

Not normally... even over the Everglades. No drops over land and I believe water drops are announced over a common radio channel.. Marine Band and Aeronautical Band.

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: MikeC]
      #88460 - Fri Jul 23 2010 06:30 PM

I guess I stand corrected, the latest models move it northwest. I have a question, however. Since Bonnie is and will stay weak, what will take it to the northwest so quickly-I mean that is a sharp turn for a system that is currently moving nearly due west?

k___g
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Leesburg, FL
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: WesnWylie]
      #88461 - Fri Jul 23 2010 06:37 PM

I am surprised that we have just had our first wind gusts and rain related to Bonnie. Being in south Orlando I wasn't expecting anything. Mike should be seeing them also.

gsand
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay, FL 28.00N 80.38W
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: k___g]
      #88462 - Fri Jul 23 2010 06:48 PM

I'm in Palm Bay and we're having a pretty good little cell go through right now, moderate rain and winds around 20-25. 3rd one since around 1 pm. Melbourne radar shows some bands coming in off the water along the Space and Treasure coasts:

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hazel 1954 Camille 1969 Agnes 1972 Bob 1991 Erin 1995 Charley 2004 Frances 2004 Jeanne 2004 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017
2021 Forecast- 15/6/3

Edited by gsand (Fri Jul 23 2010 06:49 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: gsand]
      #88466 - Fri Jul 23 2010 07:14 PM

Convective cells are on the NW side of the Center. Easily seen in this visible satellite photo.

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: danielw]
      #88467 - Fri Jul 23 2010 07:18 PM

danielw, is it just me or does the center of Bonnie already seem to be turning to the northwest?

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
      #88469 - Fri Jul 23 2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

danielw, is it just me or does the center of Bonnie already seem to be turning to the northwest?

Haven't really looked at the direction. Based on where Bonnie made landfall and where she is now I would estimate a WNW or 290 heading.
I'm more intersested in what she does after the center moves offshore.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: danielw]
      #88470 - Fri Jul 23 2010 07:33 PM

Still a fairly well defined small circulation there with some convection trying to form within it. Could be interesting as it moves into the Gulf and gets some separation from land this PM.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: MichaelA]
      #88472 - Fri Jul 23 2010 07:48 PM

Personally, the radar presentation begs the question os whether this thing is over. Virtually no convection is occurring on the west as the center emerges into the GOM. The dense rain area north of the center is breaking up. The dry air is strangling the moisutre(energy) from the system. It is dying.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: doug]
      #88474 - Fri Jul 23 2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Personally, the radar presentation begs the question os whether this thing is over. Virtually no convection is occurring on the west as the center emerges into the GOM. The dense rain area north of the center is breaking up. The dry air is strangling the moisutre(energy) from the system. It is dying.

To paraphrase a line from Star Trek VI... I can confirm the location of Bonnie. I cannot confirm the existence of Bonnie. Tampa radar now shows no evidence of a spin. The visible satellite loop shows high clouds racing off to the northwest, with perhaps some very minor rotation around the coast. Infrared/AVN imagery shows a very disorganized mess, but no evidence of even a weak circulation, at any levels really. Other satellites loops show similar things... lots of clouds, but no longer any organization.

It's possible that there is a closed low somewhere in that mess, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the 5pm advisory declared Bonnie to be post-tropical (the new technical term for dead).

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: Hugh]
      #88475 - Fri Jul 23 2010 08:13 PM

Well I am sitting in my office in South Fort Myers, (about as close to where the "LLC" is supposed to be as possible, and we have dense overcast, light rain and NO WIND...These things are classified based on ground level wind speed and we have had no wind all day...nice rain storm however.

WesnWylie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: Ed in Va]
      #88477 - Fri Jul 23 2010 08:30 PM

Has anyone been looking at the Caribbean disturbance today? Its looking better than the past few days. I think the NHC will start keeping tabs on this area in the next day or two if the convection continues.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: Ed in Va]
      #88478 - Fri Jul 23 2010 08:34 PM

Well, the 5pm forecast is out and it still calls for restrengthening. Winds are estimated at 30kts now, making Bonnie a depression. I can wait for the discussion...

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: MikeC]
      #88479 - Fri Jul 23 2010 08:41 PM

part of 5pm... Based on models... shear just doesn't appear it will let up... very slim chance of returning to TS prior to landfall... it could happen.. but chances are low

THE OFFICIAL FORECAST CALLS FOR SLIGHT STRENGTHENING
BEFORE THE CYCLONE APPROACHES THE NORTH GULF COAST LATE SATURDAY.
HOWEVER...DEGENERATION INTO AN OPEN TROUGH IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Jasonch
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Texas
      #88480 - Fri Jul 23 2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Has anyone been looking at the Caribbean disturbance today? Its looking better than the past few days. I think the NHC will start keeping tabs on this area in the next day or two if the convection continues.

Now that bonnie is almost history is there anything else that will be brewing in the short term.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #88481 - Fri Jul 23 2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

part of 5pm... Based on models... shear just doesn't appear it will let up... very slim chance of returning to TS prior to landfall... it could happen.. but chances are low

Given that the satellite presentation just continues to deteriorate with what is left of Bonnie, I think it is highly likely that degeneration will occur in the next 12 hours. Even though the ULL has moved quite a ways away from Bonnie, the combination of shear and land interaction have just been too much for it to survive.

Ironically, I am seeing some thunder and light rain right now... the effects of the sheared off clouds from Bonnie.

--------------------
Hugh

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: TS Bonnie Makes Landfall Over Extreme South Florida [Re: Hugh]
      #88483 - Fri Jul 23 2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Well, the 5pm forecast is out and it still calls for restrengthening. Winds are estimated at 30kts now, making Bonnie a depression. I can wait for the discussion...

Personally I think its been a depression since the 2PM advisory. I can understand the guessing when the storm is over water, but they have plenty of land based data collection points and none of them supported a TS. Highest wind speed at Big Carlos Pass (S. Ft Myers) = 22 mph/ gust to 29. Marco Island 22 mph. Tampa Bay 25 / gusts to 35. West Palm Beach gust to 26. Belle Glade gust to 29 mph.

There is pretty much nothing left of Bonnie, its just moving too fast and get blasted by shear.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 47025

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center