F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2010 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Area of Interest - Richard
      #89933 - Thu Oct 21 2010 12:14 AM

Invest 99L develops into Tropical Depresion 19, currently quasi-stationary and located about 125 miles south of Grand Cayman Island. Slow intensification and a slow anticyclonic turn are probable over the next day or two. Weak steering currents will gradually become southeast as a ridge builds to the north to northeast of the system, however, based on the timing for the developing ridge, the long range track is still uncertain. The next name deep into this year's list is Richard - like Paula, another name that has never been used before.
ED

Edited by Ed Dunham (Thu Oct 21 2010 10:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator

Re: Area of Interest - Richard [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #89941 - Thu Oct 21 2010 10:12 AM

NRL has upgraded their site to reflect 'Richard' so it looks like NHC is indeed going to name the system this morning. A little surprising since the recon only found maximum flight level winds of 30 knots. I'd also anticipate a more northerly adjustment to the long range track. Note that the GFS depicts a significant upper level pattern change in the GOM in about 4 days. If that pattern change verifies, the wind shear in the Gulf will decrease considerably as the speeds decrease and the direction becomes more southwesterly.
ED

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
      #89942 - Thu Oct 21 2010 10:25 AM

Ed, there will be a change in the weather pattern as the trough over the east lifts out and is replaced with a strengthening upper ridge; a pattern typically seen in the middle of summer and something we haven't seen around here in a while...a "Bermuda" ridge. I'm not going to speculate on track until it clears the Yucatan. I do believe a more northerly track is likely given the strength of the ridge in the upcoming days. As of this typing, I haven't looked at the entire 12Z ensemble; I'm out of town this week, however I will look at today's and tonight's data and get with you later. Now...everybody else...please keep all the nightmare scenarios to a minimum. I have no idea where it's going when at best we're still several days away from grasping when and where. Is it likely there will be a landfall in the USA; yes! It has to be remembered that the SE USA and FL have been quite cool of late and dry with many areas are experiencing varying levels of drought. It is expected SSTs near the coast will be equally cool. We're about 72 hours away from knowing when and where in broad strokes.

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: Area of Interest - Richard [Re: berrywr]
      #89946 - Thu Oct 21 2010 11:44 AM

It is true that air temps have been a bit lower than normal and we have definitely been drier here in Central Florida the past several weeks, but there is still heat in the water. Just checking a couple of buoys with water temp in the Gulf shows the following:

Station 42036 (106 miles WNW of Tampa water temp 77.5 F
Station 42003 (208 miles W of Naples water temp 80.2 F
Station ID: 8724580 in the Keys has a water temp of 79 F
Station 42039 (115 miles ESE of Pensacola has a water temp of 78.1 F

These are borderline hurricane temps, but with the right weather pattern, they can support a decent system over the short term. And temps/humidity have been on the rise this week and will continue into the weekend. (highs in the mid/upper 80s through mid next week).

We could actually use a good rain event as these has been almost zero rain for the past month. Keep us posted as this seems to be developing into something we need to watch closely (no doomsday here...just caution).

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2023 Season Prediction: 17/6/2

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Area of Interest - Richard [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #89947 - Thu Oct 21 2010 11:53 AM

Yes, Central FL needs some rain. In the Tampa Bay region, we are on the negative 7" side of normal since the beginning of September. A strong TS or weak hurricane would bring some much needed precip to the region and still be mostly an inconvenience for a couple of days. It's still too far away, timewise, to get overly concerned, though. Just need to be aware and watchful.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Ed DunhamAdministrator

#89963 - Sat Oct 23 2010 10:29 AM

TS Richard located near 16N 83W at 23/14Z moving slowly to the west with sustained winds of 45 knots. System is slowly becoming better organized and central pressure is down to 1000MB. Richard should move along the north coast of Honduras toward Belize with landfall likely later Sunday evening either as a strong tropical storm or a weak Cat I hurricane. High pressure to the north should maintain a track to the west to west northwest - it is becoming less likely that the storm will make it into the Gulf. I suspect that a Hurricane Warning will soon be issued for Belize.
ED

Weather at Belize City

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6184

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center