F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Doombot!
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
Freeze Watch
      #90076 - Fri Nov 05 2010 10:38 PM

Semi-related. Can anyone recall seeing a freeze watch / wind chill warning in the same general area as a hurricane warning?

Edited by Ed Dunham (Fri Nov 05 2010 10:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Freeze Watch [Re: Doombot!]
      #90077 - Fri Nov 05 2010 10:45 PM

I noticed that same pattern earlier today, but its got to be a software color-coding error?
Ed

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Freeze Watch [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #90078 - Sat Nov 06 2010 02:23 AM

Due to the current long wave/ cold front moving though the SE US it is entirely possible. Actually it is probably the main reason that Tomas didn't make it into the GOM or the FL Straits.

It has to do with the zones in the warning below. Offshore waters are beyond 20nm offshore so anything beyond the 20nm limit would be highlighted as the watch or warning area. The highlighted area is a false highlight due to software design, as ED pointed out, or the way the coastal and offshore marine zones are set up. Again software/ human interface.

AMZ080-060930-
SW N ATLANTIC S OF 31N W OF 65W INCLUDING BAHAMAS
1130 PM EDT FRI NOV 05 2010

...HURRICANE WARNING S OF 23N FROM 70W TO 73W...
...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS EXPECTED SUN...

berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL
Re: Freeze Watch [Re: danielw]
      #90079 - Sat Nov 06 2010 03:31 AM

Daniel and Ed are both right, though Ed will think I'm off my meds tonight, the trough is a full latitude long wave trough and slightly negative tilt which means the flow on the back side is straight out of Canada almost straight south and deep into the Caribbean.

Shear analysis has indicated the GOM has been closed for business the entire week. The pattern over the US was not as amplified as it is now. Two things had to happen before this scenario would be in play; one, the jet maxima that carved a cutoff low over E TX and moved into the GOM; the second another piece of energy that carved out a deeper low over Southern Ontario. The ULL in the GOM would phase (merge) with the primary low and set the stage for a cold few days over the east. One other feature that is not on the US charts is an omega block near 38N and 16W which will gum things up for awhile which has led to two schools of thought with Tomas future track this evening.

In the month of November and given Tomas' location is when you see some really goofy things that defy the norm and conventional reasoning. A trough like this forces you to think outside the box because we're not dealing with strictly Tropical entities and thought processes.

There's no probably, you're in fact...you both are correct.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

srquirrely
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: SARASOTA
Re: Freeze Watch [Re: berrywr]
      #90100 - Thu Dec 09 2010 11:29 AM

An article about our exceptionally cold weather in yesterday's paper said (roughly) that the record fall ice-melt in the arctic over the last four years has resulted in an altered jet stream pattern which is allowing frigid weather to engulf the CONUS east coast instead of pushing it out past Greenland. If so, this is NOT GOOD NEWS for those of us who suffer the breathless summers here in order to enjoy the mild winters!

I'm guessing that this same phenomenon may also be responsible for the "invisible protective shield*" all but preventing land-falling tropical cyclones over the gulf states and SE coast in recent years. You think?

Personally, I'd MUCH rather live with the occasional threat of a hurricane than any more winters like last year's!
*(read: 'shear')

bjh

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Unofficial Florida Record Low Temperatures 14Dec10 [Re: srquirrely]
      #90102 - Tue Dec 14 2010 10:31 AM

ID; City; Country; Type and unofficial status; CurrentTemp.(°F); Unofficial Daily/Monthly Record (°F); Margin of Daily Record (°F); Year of Daily Record; Database Length (years)

KNRB Mayport, FL United States LOW: TIE 28.0 28.0/17.1 0 1962 54
KEYW Key West, FL United States LOW: TIE 51.1 51.1/44.1 0 1962 58
KPAM Tyndall Air Force Base, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 29.1 29.3/11.3 -.1 1962 67
KOCF Ocala Municipal, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 28.4 29.3/19.4 -.9 1962 44
KMLB Melbourne, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 34.0 35.1/23.0 -1.1 1989 41
KFMY Fort Myers, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 37.9 39.0/27.0 -1.1 1988 55
KCOF Cocoa / Patrick Air Force Base, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 32.2 33.4/24.3 -1.2 1962 62
KVRB Vero Beach, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 33.1 37.9/23.0 -4.8 2004 43
KPIE St. Petersburg / Clearwater, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 37.9 43.0/28.2 -5.1 1989 36
KCRG Jacksonville, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 27.0 33.1/14.2 -6.1 1988 35
KFLL Fort Lauderdale / Hollywood Intl Arpt, FL United States LOW: BROKEN 39.0 46.0/30.2 -7.0 1988 37

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Re: Unofficial Florida Record Low Temperatures 14Dec10 [Re: danielw]
      #90103 - Tue Dec 14 2010 11:25 PM

Here are some more records that were set today in east central Florida - and others that are likely to fall by the wayside tonight (courtesy of Melbourne NWS):

.CLIMATE...
RECORD LOWS

DEC 15TH
DAYTONA BEACH 29/1962
ORLANDO 33/1968
MELBOURNE 33/1968
VERO BEACH 35/1962

ALL CLIMATE LOCATIONS BROKE THEIR PREVIOUS RECORD LOW HIGHS THIS
AFTERNOON.

RECORD LOW HIGHS TODAY DEC 14...

HIGH TODAY PREVIOUS RECORD
DAYTONA BEACH 48 52/1962
ORLANDO 49 54/1962
MELBOURNE 52 55/1962
VERO BEACH 53 56/1962

Note that the low today in Key West was actually 50 and they only got up to 54 today. Temperatures in east central Florida are currently about two degrees colder than they were at the same time yesterday evening so more new records are likely by Wednesday morning. If this is global warming, I've had quite enough of it
ED

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8196

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center