Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 44 (Nate) , Major: 62 (Maria) Florida - Any: 72 (Irma) Major: 72 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2011 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland 38.98N 76.50W
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: StrmTrckrMiami]
      #92041 - Mon Aug 29 2011 05:39 PM

Lost power about 8:00pm Saturday. Just got power back today (don't know when, I was at work). Still over 300,000 from my power provider (they serve about 1.2 million), including almost everyone in my immediate area.

Storm was really violent from about 11pm to 3am - guessing that is when we got the 50-60mph winds. More to come.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland 38.98N 76.50W
Re: Irene Conditions/Observations in Your Area [Re: Random Chaos]
      #92042 - Mon Aug 29 2011 06:57 PM

Some data from my area, per NWS:

Nearest buoy to me read 49mph gust at 9pm. The storm did not get intense until about 11pm. In fact, there are no strongest readings during the 4 hour period that I had the strongest winds: 11pm to 3am.

Looking at other nearby reports, the highest value on a buoy around 6 miles south of me was a 69mph gust. Again, not when I had the strongest winds.

I had no house damage other than a few shingles. One decent sized tree limb came down (about 4-5" diameter) but hit nothing. A shed that was ready to fail did (it was already having issues before the storm, and was well rusted). Down the way from me, though, quite a lot of trees went over, including some blocking roads. Luckily none of them hit power lines, meaning our outage was further up the system (the entire substation was out).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 14763

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center