Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 40 (Nate) , Major: 58 (Maria) Florida - Any: 68 (Irma) Major: 68 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2012 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
berrywr
Weather Analyst

Reged: Fri
Loc: Opelika, AL 32.71N 85.23W
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #93879 - Tue Aug 28 2012 11:51 PM

Issac could actually gain strength over the marshes; I have no idea where NHC has a NW movement...radar shows Issac moving west and I don't have a complete 500 millibar upper air chart to analyze with a chunk of the Gulf coast missing upper air observations this evening but it appears there is a ridge axis in place from west to east along 35N latitude and no break in the ridge except to the east over GA and SC; LA is in for a long, long night.

--------------------
Sincerely,

Bill Berry

"Survived Trigonometry and Calculus I"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ranger01

Reged: Tue
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: berrywr]
      #93880 - Wed Aug 29 2012 12:11 AM

Is that a southerly component on the N.O. Long Range Radar??

???slightly oval appearance due to steering currents- possibly start N.E. mvmt??

Edited by ranger01 (Wed Aug 29 2012 12:26 AM)

cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: ranger01]
      #93881 - Wed Aug 29 2012 01:27 AM

Isaac has been wobbling very slowly to the west-northwest to northwest, with wiggles north and south along the way. Some of what is seen on radar reflects these bounces.

It appears that the High to Isaac's north is indeed having an impact on his course, and it would not be surprising to see that Isaac skirts along the coast, just barely offshore and/or just inland, more than expected, prolonging the surge, wind and rain, and increasing the risks.

OrlandoDan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Longwood, FL 28.69N 81.44W
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: cieldumort]
      #93882 - Wed Aug 29 2012 06:10 AM

Good deal of convection flaring up up on the satelittle loops time of 0945. Isaac is over an area of very swampy terrain and is not showing rapid significant signs of weakening yet.

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017)

Edited by OrlandoDan (Wed Aug 29 2012 06:10 AM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL 28.49N 81.47W
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #93883 - Wed Aug 29 2012 06:14 AM

Recon has the center just over Timbailer Bay (Back over water). It's making multiple landfalls and just hanging out. SSE Of Houma, LA. Pressure is still about the same, and the storm hasn't weakened (or strengthened)

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: MikeC]
      #93884 - Wed Aug 29 2012 01:38 PM

Issac is flooding parts of the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
Currently the water depth at the I-10 Miss Hwy 603 appears to be 2 to 4 feet deep. The area south of the interstate is under water.

Biloxi,MS at the US Hwy 90 I-110 interchange on the Beach is under water but appears to be receding at this time. East of the 90/ I-110 interschange the water is over Hwy 90 going toward the Biloxi to Ocean Springs Bridge.

U.S. Hwy 90 from bay St Louis to Biloxi is closed per the MS Dept of Transportation website.
http://www.mdottraffic.com or http://mobile.mdottraffic.com

OrlandoDan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Longwood, FL 28.69N 81.44W
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: danielw]
      #93886 - Wed Aug 29 2012 06:04 PM

Solid presentation on radar. When will his forward speed pick up?

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #93889 - Wed Aug 29 2012 08:07 PM

Currently forecast as 5mph ... they keep going down in forward speed not up. And, he seems to be just sitting.. moved a little but...

Then again the NHC did forecast him to stall out a while ago and sadly...they were right on that.

He looks as if he is trying to bust through the ridge which is bending a bit on the water vapor. A new wrinkle i have not seen before.

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv.php?inv=0&t=l12&region=ea

A note to Berry... several storms have intensified over the Everglades in Florida, the same set up is possible there.. though there is friction from land it is not the same when there is a large swampy area or low country.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

bostonjay

Reged: Tue
Re: Isaac a Very Large & Dangerous Hurricane [Re: LoisCane]
      #93890 - Wed Aug 29 2012 09:45 PM

Looks to be stalled if not pushing backward back to the sea. While the ridge of dry air is bending due to Isaac, I also see it intensifying (the dry air), and i think either Isaac will stay stalled, dropping its load of water over SE LA, or moving back to sea, perhaps heading SE, changing to NE, where it has less to fight with and can be taken by the upper level winds (and yes i realize there really isn't much of those either)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24899

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center