F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
jkapust

Reged: Fri
Potential Northeast Storm
      #94245 - Sat Nov 03 2012 11:17 AM

For those still in the dark or reading this thread per the 5 day outlook I am concerned

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/day5nav_pre.html

992 mb shows intense deepening on or about 11/8, a pressure low enough to correlate with a few weak hurricanes or strong tropical storms. While this is not tropical in nature, and more of a noreaster, a pressure at 992 can still cause a minor storm surge. With steering and high pressure blocking still in play, where this storm lands is important, It will hit somewhere between NJ and Maine.

Structures are already weakened, trees that survived, may have endured strain on their roots, and may be weakened, where power is still being restored, a direct hit on or along the nj coast, could re-establish damage to the area, worsening things.

(Edited and moved to the appropriate Forum.)
Am I over-hyping this
You may choose only one
yes
no
perhaps

Votes accepted from (Sat Nov 03 2012 11:17 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

Edited by Ed Dunham (Mon Nov 05 2012 12:36 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Potential Northeast Storm [Re: jkapust]
      #94247 - Sat Nov 03 2012 11:12 PM

Not really the place for this, but given it's potential affect on NY/NJ recovery, I feel I should respond to jkapust's question:

All major long term global models are now showing a major Nor'easter developing off the coast next week and affecting the recovery area. ECMWF looks like it could have an eye-like structure in the core, similar to what has been seen in some of the more powerful extratropical cyclones, such as the 2006 Blizzard. GFS and ECMWF are showing the potential for significant snowfall on the landward side of the system, though it's too far out to say for certainty what might happen and where a rain/snow line might develop. I do not have a source to look at the CMC and UKMET models in the ways needed to evaluate snow potential.

Definitely something that people living in the areas hit by Sandy need to keep an eye on over the next few days.

--

Edit: Update follows:

ECMWF Wind Field - 12Z model on 11-4-12 at 81 hours:

SLOSH model - 11-4-12:

Edited by Ed Dunham (Mon Nov 05 2012 12:37 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3195

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center