Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 48 (Nate) , Major: 65 (Maria) Florida - Any: 75 (Irma) Major: 75 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2014 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Gulf of Mexico Invest 98L
      #95277 - Tue Aug 26 2014 01:22 PM

An area of showers and thunderstorms currently stretched NW-SE across the Gulf of Mexico is associated with a "back door" cold front that pushed out over the open waters on Monday.

These showers and storms have started to organize a bit today, and there is a chance of further development, provided the area of low pressure remains over water.

Favoring chances for development, the Gulf of Mexico is currently running above its already toasty climatological norms, and so there is certainly sufficient oceanic heat energy for fuel. Additionally, regional barometric pressure is already somewhat low. Finally, shear over the disturbance itself is not at all prohibitive, with even an upper level high centered across the Gulf.

Detractors include some nearby moderate shear, abundant dry air, and proximity to land.

This is where to put our mid to long range thoughts on this system's potential for further development, intensity, and forecast track. Model output discussions are also appropriate here.

Title changed to reflect addition of Invest tag (98L)

Edited by cieldumort (Wed Aug 27 2014 12:08 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL 27.83N 82.69W
Re: Gulf of Mexico Invest 98L [Re: cieldumort]
      #95278 - Wed Aug 27 2014 10:03 PM

Looking at this evening's sat loops, the apparent CoC is just East of Brownsville, TX with no significant convection. Appears to be drifting WSW, so I say nothing is developing with this. The area in the Eastern Caribbean? Another "meh." The wave coming off the African coast? Wait and see on that. I'm not expecting much, though.

--------------------
Michael
2017: 15/9/4
2017 Actual: 17/10/6

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Loc: Central Florida 28.12N 81.99W
Re: Gulf of Mexico Invest 98L [Re: MichaelA]
      #95280 - Thu Aug 28 2014 06:58 AM

Looks like the CoC may not have moved that much with 98L last night, with a plume of convection firing up on the Eastern edge of the system this morning.

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Gulf of Mexico Invest 98L [Re: cieldumort]
      #95282 - Thu Aug 28 2014 03:30 PM

As of 2PM CDT Aug 28, the radar indicated center of Invest 98L was tracking across South Padre Island, just off the coast of extreme south Texas, in the vicinity of 26.5N 97.2W.

While it appears that the low will not have enough time over water to become sufficiently organized for classification as a depression, it will still bring rounds of squally weather to the region over the next few days with some of it even extending well inland, as rotation around the low is sending copious Gulf of Mexico moisture northwestward.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3377

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center