Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Azores #96L fails to complete transition into a Sub-Tropical Storm. Elsewhere, weak low pressure in Caribbean may linger into next week.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 41 (Nate) , Major: 59 (Maria) Florida - Any: 69 (Irma) Major: 69 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives >> 2015 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Area of Interest - Hurricane Danny
      #95545 - Sun Aug 16 2015 09:03 AM

At 16/12Z, Invest 96L was located to the south southwest of the Cape Verde Islands near 10N 27W with movement to the west at 13 knots. SSTs are 29C and the system is located in an area of light windshear. 96L should continue on a west and eventually west northwest track for the next few days. Convection has been on the increase over the past 24 hours and this system has a good chance for additional development.
ED

(Title updated to reflect current system status.)

Edited by Ed Dunham (Thu Aug 20 2015 10:54 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Area of Interest - Invest 96L in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #95546 - Sun Aug 16 2015 12:39 PM

If it can make it past the negatives it's a system to watch. It has a nice spin. Andrew and Betsy both were in El Nino years. Numbers are often down, but that doesn't mean you don't get a few memorable hurricanes.

It showed green on funktop earlier, that has gone away however it has been consolidating it's energy and has a well defined low pressure system attached.

Once it's far enough West recon can go in and with good data from dropsondes we can get more reliable models. Add in like to see the Gulfstream Jet down the road.. if this gets a name and is still traveling west.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Ed DunhamAdministrator

Re: Area of Interest - Invest 96L in Eastern Atlantic [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #95559 - Tue Aug 18 2015 01:01 AM

At 18/04Z Invest 96L was moving west at about 10 knots and it has maintained that general motion for the past couple of days. The system is currently moving over an area of SSTs that are close to 30C and convection is firing again near (actually slightly over) the LLCC. The GFS has been slow to do much of anything with this system except keep it rather steady-state, however, the light windshear and warm SSTs should certainly prompt a slow but steady intensification over the next couple of days.
ED

Ed DunhamAdministrator

Re: Area of Interest - Hurricane Danny [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #95604 - Thu Aug 20 2015 11:08 AM

Danny now a Cat I Hurricane after a rapid intensification cycle earlier this morning. Winds at 65 knots and pressure at 992MB with some additional intensification expected. Danny is a small system and, because of their diminished size and fragile nature, small storms can wrap up or fall apart rather quickly. NHC has adjusted the forecast track to the right (north) and, given that the system will be more under the influence of the mid to upper level flow, I would not be surprised to see an additional further adjustment to the right later today/tonight. If the forecast track moves slightly north of the Greater Antillies the future decrease in intensity would not be as significant. Folks in the northern Lesser Antilles and Puerto Rico and Hispaniola should continue to monitor the progress of Hurricane Danny over the weekend.
ED

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: Area of Interest - Hurricane Danny [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #95621 - Thu Aug 20 2015 07:56 PM

Movement tonight would suggest that Danny IS moving a bit more to the right.

Approaching the islands and the environment he'll face when he gets there..

http://hokukea.soest.hawaii.edu/satellit...;animtype=flash

Also seems to possibly growing in size, need more time. Will be nice to get data from recon..

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/catl/flash-ft.html

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Psyber
Weather Guru

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Area of Interest - Hurricane Danny [Re: LoisCane]
      #95655 - Mon Aug 24 2015 12:14 AM

Don't see much in this anymore. Going to hit the deathzone over the D/R//Haiti/part of Cuba and then CHC showing it going almost due north after that into colder SST's. Looks like a fish spinner now.

Let's be glad it wasn't about 40miles south.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4375

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center