Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - 25 Years Tracking StormsHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Struggling Beta and now former Alpha that formed but then poofed over Portugal begin the Greek Alphabeta with weaker storms, so far
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 5 (Sally) , Major: 25 (Laura) Florida - Any: 712 (Michael) Major: 712 (Michael)
34.6N 61.4W
Wind: 90MPH
Pres: 956mb
Moving:
N at 26 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
28.3N 96.1W
Wind: 45MPH
Pres: 999mb
Moving:
Nw at 5 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
Pending... Storm 17Click for Invest Information from CIMSS
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2016 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Puerto Morelos,Mx
Re: TD NINE [Re: Mcgowanjm]
      #96799 - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:05 AM

I would have bet the farm that they would have named TD9 at 11,but they did not.System is looking very healthy right now.

--------------------

Survived:
Gloria,Bob,Katrina,Wilma and a bunch of tropical storms.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doombot!
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
Re: TD NINE [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #96800 - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

I would have bet the farm that they would have named TD9 at 11,but they did not.System is looking very healthy right now.

I've seen hurricanes look worse and have higher pressures.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #96802 - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:18 AM

NOAA Recon is scheduled to takeoff at 16Z. They are working TD 9 since USAF Recon is handling Madeline in the Central Pacific.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: TD NINE [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #96804 - Wed Aug 31 2016 12:09 PM

Also Global Hawk mission is also scheduled to take off at 6pm EDT. I'll be interested to see what NOAA43 finds. Hopefully no more mechanical issues like the one that scrubbed last nights mission.

--------------------
Jim

Edited by Rasvar (Wed Aug 31 2016 12:10 PM)

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
      #96810 - Wed Aug 31 2016 01:48 PM

The most recent RGB single &/loop image seems to present a double circulation: one at 24.5N- 87.3 W and the other at 24.6N - 86.5W...the latter could be an artifact; however, it has a definite motion NNE'ly. Either way there has been very little actual movement since last evening; but maybe there is an easterly component to the movement now.?

--------------------
doug

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
Re: TD NINE [Re: doug]
      #96812 - Wed Aug 31 2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

The most recent RGB single &/loop image seems to present a double circulation: one at 24.5N- 87.3 W and the other at 24.6N - 86.5W...the latter could be an artifact; however, it has a definite motion NNE'ly. Either way there has been very little actual movement since last evening; but maybe there is an easterly component to the movement now.?

Could also be the wobbling/oscillation of a weak system...hard to know when there isn't an eye-type feature to focus on. The system still isn't quite stacked up through the atmosphere so is may just be wobbling.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

doug
Weather Analyst

Re: TD NINE [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #96815 - Wed Aug 31 2016 02:44 PM

I disagree, there is a new LLC at 25N -86.7W moving fairly quickly NNE..no mistake about it. What ever was at 88 is no longer visible.

--------------------
doug

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: TD NINE [Re: doug]
      #96816 - Wed Aug 31 2016 03:00 PM

Very interesting 12Z runs:

Euro: Now takes a borderline cat 1 hurricane into near Panama City Beach Friday morning, then up through he southeast out by the DelMarva, stalls it south of Atlantic City, then takes it BACK to close the outer banks of NC near next Thursday as a hurricane.

GFS: Strong Tropical storm near Panama City Beach Friday morning the rides the southeast coast just inland until Labor day before sending it out to sea.

HWRF: Landfall near St. Marks, FL Late Thursday night, Tropical Storm, exits the coast near Myrtle Beach, SC by late Friday night.

If it were to get positioned to strengthen at a good clip overnight tonight into tomorrow morning would be it.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: TD NINE [Re: MikeC]
      #96818 - Wed Aug 31 2016 04:13 PM

It looks like the models initialized too far west of the real center. I would suspect a shift back east over time back toward the big bend. Closer to cedar key. Just my opinion for what that's worth. lol

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: TD NINE [Re: dolfinatic]
      #96819 - Wed Aug 31 2016 05:03 PM

You just never know with these storms, do you? It's been raining like crazy here today & I know they are from the outer bands - seems like it's lightened up a bit in the last 1/2 hour, though! Just stay aware and safe! :-)

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Mcgowanjm
Verified CFHC User

Loc: NWArkansas
      #96823 - Wed Aug 31 2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

NOAA Recon is scheduled to takeoff at 16Z. They are working TD 9 since USAF Recon is handling Madeline in the Central Pacific.

Thank you for your knowledge. That's good info.

James

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
      #96826 - Wed Aug 31 2016 08:57 PM

They are saying that in some spots - in Pinellas County that they are receiving rain amounts over 9" + ( just today) and that tomorrow will be worse. I'm in Polk County and my husband has drained the pool twice - and it's almost overflowing. I can't imagine what tomorrow will bring. I will look like a drowned rat when I go into work tomorrow. If I go...it's a volunteer job. Either I go or I don't - either way, I'm bringing a change of clothes! Now the thunder is starting. Stay safe everyone!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Doombot!
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
Eastward jump. [Re: Colleen A.]
      #96828 - Wed Aug 31 2016 09:43 PM

Someone noted this in another thread about the time I was, but if it seems correct and worth mentioning.

If you go with no enhancements (http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/imagery/ir_lalo-animated.gif) it looks like H takes big eastward hop between the last 3 frames, right as night falls.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Re: Eastward jump. [Re: Doombot!]
      #96833 - Wed Aug 31 2016 10:23 PM

It has already gone east of the forecast points. If you look at sat image and put forecast points on it is plainly obvious. I think it is moving more Ne at the moment which will probably send the track back more toward the southern end of the big bend area. Just my thoughts for what they are worth

Mcgowanjm
Verified CFHC User

Re: TD NINE [Re: Colleen A.]
      #96834 - Wed Aug 31 2016 10:46 PM

I'll always remember this storm as 99LHermine.

And I wasn't familiar with HRRR Composite before 99L but it's 16 hr forecasts have been as accurate
As any and the latest 01z Thurs has it almost due W of Tampa at 87W 27N this time tomorrow.

That would be just one more amazing feat for 99LHermine.

I'm familiar with Lower MS River drainage. I hope Tampa's is better.

Much Good Luck.

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
HERMINE [Re: cieldumort]
      #96836 - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:24 PM

TROPICAL STORM HERMINE

There are a few very impressive footnotes worth mentioning tonight:

*We began formally tracking this feature in its own Lounge thread nearly two weeks ago, when its parent wave and pouch were just southwest of the Cabo Verde islands

*Pre-Hermine Invest 99L produced the strongest ship report from a tropical wave many of us have ever seen (70 knots)

*Pre-Hermine was actually said to be on life support by many on at least two separate occasions while getting hung up over the Greater Antilles, and upon entering the Florida Straits

* Hermine has intensified from a 35 MPH TD this morning to a 60 MPH TS 12 hours later tonight.

*At present, several of the most reliable models suggest a landfall around the Big Bend between Cat 1 and Cat 2, and the official NHC forecast now calls for a landfalling hurricane. This would be the first Florida hurricane landfall in 11 years, ending a record hurricane drought for the state

*First Hurricane Warning for Gulf Coast in 4 years

*Several of the most reliable models then run Hermine up the east coast to loop and/or stall, potentially bombing out as a powerful subtropical hybrid, and thus staying with us for yet another week from today

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida
      #96837 - Wed Aug 31 2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

I'll always remember this storm as 99LHermine.

And I wasn't familiar with HRRR Composite before 99L but it's 16 hr forecasts have been as accurate
As any and the latest 01z Thurs has it almost due W of Tampa at 87W 27N this time tomorrow.

That would be just one more amazing feat for 99LHermine.

I'm familiar with Lower MS River drainage. I hope Tampa's is better.

Much Good Luck.

Nope....most of Tampa has HORRIBLE drainage. We don't even have to get a TS to have far too much flooding, both in low-lying areas and some not so low They keep promising to fix it, but the same places are in the news each time with flooding. SO glad school was cancelled tomorrow..this is going to be a heavy flooding event and I am also glad I am NOT in a flood zone (was a requirement when I bought a house)....

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

Mcgowanjm
Verified CFHC User

Re: TD NINE [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #96849 - Thu Sep 01 2016 10:03 AM

Just so long as Jim Get those kids out of the surf Cantore doesn't show up on your door
Step, you should be ok.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

#96850 - Thu Sep 01 2016 10:36 AM

I am really surprised that the Hurricane center did not extend the TS warnings down through the Tampa bay area. From the looks of radar we are going to get a good dose of the heavier rainbands and I'm quite sure there is TS winds in them. I think they dropped the ball on that point. Hope people have at least prepped their yards so we don't have a bunch of stuff flying around.

doug
Weather Analyst

Re: TD NINE [Re: MikeC]
      #96851 - Thu Sep 01 2016 10:45 AM

GFS and HWRF proved to have the best handle on this system. Most of us questioned them last week but here we are.... Here in Parrish we are about to get the influence of that large band on he east side. Should be good for several hours more rain. About 5.5 uncles since 6 am yesterday so far

--------------------
doug

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 122236

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center