Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Severe flooding x-Trop Storm Imelda ongoing in SE TX, DFW to OK. Name may be retired. #96L and #99L Caribbean to Gulf risks
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 15 (Dorian) , Major: 345 (Michael) Florida - Any: 345 (Michael) Major: 345 (Michael)
22.0N 65.0W
Wind: 65MPH
Pres: 999mb
Moving:
Nw at 14 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
Invest 99LClick for Invest Information from CIMSS
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2016 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: Random Chaos]
      #97077 - Fri Sep 30 2016 08:27 PM

Quote:

SFMR just got 143kt surface winds. Category 5 speeds. Waiting for NHC to make it official.

That looks like it was flagged as a bad reading, but it still seems likely to hit 5 overnight if no replacement cycles start before then.

edit: looks like temp/humidity was flagged, not the wind.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: MikeC]
      #97078 - Fri Sep 30 2016 08:46 PM

CIMSS Raw T at 7.2

Clean 165 MPH SFMR estimate

Still intensifying, extremely dangerous. Likely the Atlantic's first Cat 5 since 2007's Felix.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#97079 - Fri Sep 30 2016 08:46 PM

Watching satellite loops closely, it still is moving west southwest, and has picked up a bit of forward speed tonight. Turn toward the north most likely will happen tomorrow afternoon or evening.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#97080 - Fri Sep 30 2016 09:55 PM

Motion has been more southwest than wsw the last few hours, but I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
      #97081 - Fri Sep 30 2016 09:57 PM

Mike, take a look at CIMSS mean layer steering currents - for <940mb storms it looses most of the westerly motion.

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: cieldumort]
      #97082 - Fri Sep 30 2016 10:03 PM

We have not seen a Fix like this out of an Atlantic basin recon mission in a very, very long time

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 1st day of the month at 1:56Z

A. Time of Center Fix: 1st day of the month at 1:25:00Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 13°20'N 72°04'W (13.3333N 72.0667W)
B. Center Fix Location: 150 statute miles (241 km) to the WNW (292°) from Oranjestad, Aruba (Netherlands).

D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 138kts (~ 158.8mph)

E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 5 nautical miles (6 statute miles) to the W (277°) of center fix

H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 944mb (27.88 inHg)

I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 10°C (50°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,094m (10,151ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 21°C (70°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,051m (10,010ft)

K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 13°C (55°F)

M. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 12 nautical miles (14 statute miles)
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 700mb
O. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

JMII
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: cieldumort]
      #97084 - Fri Sep 30 2016 10:27 PM

Well that ramped up quickly! Matt pushed thru the wind shear without losing any stream at all. And now finds itself in a stable environment which is causing it to spin up to serious levels. The projected path is an odd one. 'Canes rarely move due any direction, especially N over long periods of time. If the ridge to the east weakness Matt move NE runs into the Bahamas and out to sea never to be heard from again. But if the H sets up shop then he'll push west... and I don't like the look of that at all.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, but actually had to put up the panels for:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Frances ('04) - Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16) - Irma ('17)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: JMII]
      #97093 - Sat Oct 01 2016 09:07 AM

Models trends have been to the east since the westernmost shift of the GFS early this morning, Matthew appears to be moving due west and the gradual turn north is expected within the next 12 hours. The NHC track seems good, forecast lounge discusses the long range more, but in summary the consensus keeps it just offshore of the US, but is not as good for the Bahamas. Impacts on Florida and the Southeast cannot be ruled out, however.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#97095 - Sat Oct 01 2016 09:26 AM

Beyond that today we are watching for when it starts to gain more latitude (good west benchmark is what it's doing when it reaches 74W), and how fast its moving to see how much Jamaica winds up with. Slower forward speed would cloud things, faster forward speed would make the models generally more reliable.

The eye is going through replacement cycles so it's a bit ragged, and be careful about trying to use it to determine movement direction while doing so, as it may wobble or give appearances, a series of 3 or more recon fixes would likely be the best indicator for motion.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#97100 - Sat Oct 01 2016 04:04 PM

I've been out most of the day, models seem to be even more split in the long range with the ensembles spreading more beyond 4 days, right now (which means no real confidence on where Matthew may go). Matthew is currently doing a cyclonic loop moving south, east, and back around, which is an interesting stall, when it resumes a distinct, non-looping motion is when we'll see which of the models has a better handle on it (and if any of them actually do).

Recon is suggesting its getting its act together again. 939mb

Zoomed visible sat loop http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/...s_to_display=20

Kraig
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jupiter, Fl
      #97102 - Sat Oct 01 2016 05:15 PM

I have a quote on my office door, that while it wasn't meant to apply to meteorological models, it does seem to apply here: All models are wrong, but some models are useful! I've got allot of respect for those folks that by gut and experience, can tweeze out the useful information while looking through the static. The NHC staff have had a rough year of trying to look through the static to glean out the useful tidbits! I believe by tomorrow night we will start to see much clearer. I heard this morning that all NWS offices east of the Mississippi river were doubling the releases of sounding balloons to ever 6 hours, instead of every 12 to get a better handle on how the trough was going to set up.

--------------------
--------------------------------
2019 forecast 11/5/3

South FL Native and experienced: David ('79), Floyd ('87), Andrew ('92), Georges ('98), Irene ('99), Charlie, Frances & Jeanne ('04), Wilma ('05), Matthew ('16), Irma ('17) and Dorian ('19)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: Kraig]
      #97108 - Sat Oct 01 2016 09:05 PM

The GOES-13 satellite that provides a lot of the sat photos for the floater images of Matthew is having an outage now, recon also had to abort the mission due to mechanical failures . GOES-15 has a very very edge view of Matthew without much detail, but it'll be an interesting semi-blind night to determine if motion started back up if GOES-13 doesn't come back up soon.

OrlandoDan
Storm Tracker

Loc: Longwood, FL
      #97110 - Sat Oct 01 2016 09:10 PM

Very, very disconcerting. Why is this hugely important satellite having issues at this time?

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #97111 - Sat Oct 01 2016 09:16 PM

Per ESPC:

*Topic:*GOES-13 (GOES-East) Data Outage

*Date/Time**Issued:*October 2, 2016 0035Z

*Product(s) or Data Impacted: ***GOES-13 (GOES-East) Imager Data and
Products

*Date/Time of Initial Impact:*October 1, 2016 2315Z **

*Date/Time of Expected End:*TBD

*Length of Outage: *TBD

*Details/Specifics of Change:*GOES-13 (GOES-East) is currently
experiencing an anomaly that prevents all data from being received at
ESPC. Engineers have been notified.

*Contact Information for Further Information:* ESPC Operations at
ESPCOperations@noaa.gov at 301-817-3880**

*Web Site(s) for applicable information:* N/A

This message was sent by ESPC.Notification@noaa.gov

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: Random Chaos]
      #97113 - Sat Oct 01 2016 09:35 PM

You can use GOES 15 (West) imagery

http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeswestfullir.html

Click the area where Matthew is at, very warped and very infrequent frames from that angle, but at least it is something. (Check timestamps)

Microwave from the NRL does show the eyewall replacement happening.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

#97114 - Sat Oct 01 2016 10:10 PM

Nasa site seems to be getting imagery back in ow, from 9:45PM EDT Northwest motion now.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #97116 - Sun Oct 02 2016 01:34 AM

At 02/05Z Matthew has taken a track almost due west for the past few hours. That ridge to its north is not breaking down as quickly as anticipated. Certainly an interesting storm to track.
ED

CaymanBrac

Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #97119 - Sun Oct 02 2016 07:47 AM

Hello, You guys have a great site here... I live on Cayman Brac, just a little west of Matthew's track. What's your thoughts on that new western movement??

Doombot!
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: CaymanBrac]
      #97120 - Sun Oct 02 2016 07:58 AM

Way too soon to tell. Hurricanes tend to wobble, "stair step", loop and even move in odd ways when the steering currents are weak.

Also, the last few frames show at least some northerly component.

Edited by Doombot! (Sun Oct 02 2016 08:01 AM)

CaymanBrac

Re: Hurricane Matthew [Re: Doombot!]
      #97122 - Sun Oct 02 2016 08:24 AM

Thanks for the information. Everyone here on Cayman Brac are quite concerned. As some may remember, we had a hurricane called "Paloma" that hit the Brac Nov. 8th 2008, it was also a Category 4 with cat 5 in gusts. Damages to Cayman Brac and Little Cayman from Hurricane Paloma' amounted to $154.4 million. So we are all a bit on edge about this hurricane. Please' if you guys will, keep me posted on your thoughts.. Thanks again!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 47977

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center