F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2010s >> 2017 Forecast Lounge

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Marknole
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Wacissa, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: StormHound]
      #98267 - Tue Sep 05 2017 04:37 PM

If the trend continues more north and east...and the apparent WNW motion isn't a wobble...this could be good news. Still, that's a sharp right turn predicted. Must be sound data that the next system will dig and pick her up.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: TheOtherRick]
      #98269 - Tue Sep 05 2017 04:52 PM

The recent models runs have spread out - some show offshore to the east, others run thru Cuba, while some push into the west coast of FL. Difficult situation here, the 5 PM update should be entertaining.

Edit: 5 PM update... not much change - the cone just got wider indicating the lack of confidence 5 days out. TS force winds reaching the Keys/S FL Saturday AM.

Edited by JMII (Tue Sep 05 2017 04:58 PM)

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: JMII]
      #98270 - Tue Sep 05 2017 04:58 PM

5pm update:

Quote:

Fixes from the latest satellite and radar imagery suggest that Irma
is moving a little north of due west or 280/13 kt

I thought so.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Edited by ftlaudbob (Tue Sep 05 2017 04:59 PM)

Major Sharpe

Reged: Wed
Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
      #98271 - Tue Sep 05 2017 04:59 PM

No entertainment value from the 5PM update. The NHC track seems to be virtually status quo on the track that eventually enters the Florida Straits and makes contact with the Keys. Versus the other, present models, it seems that the NHC is the one -- at least, for the time being -- at odds. The remaining models still seem to dictate a path that runs up the east coast of Florida. What this means, I have no idea. Is closeness to SE Florida better for that area, as it would seemingly avoid the impact of the eastern part of the storm? I will leave that to the pros- to decide.

Steve C
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Houston TX 77059
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Major Sharpe]
      #98275 - Tue Sep 05 2017 05:17 PM

It almost seems like NHC is waiting as long as possible on purpose before committing to where the northward turn will take Irma. In the meantime, they just keep leaving the last forcast day in the Straits. Even if they eventually decide it's an east coast scraper, they will just modify that last estimated position at the Keys to compensate. I could understand their reticence to committing to the turn. Once they do, the press will take it and run.

--------------------
Claudette ('79) Danielle ('80) Jeanne ('80) Alicia ('83) Bonnie ('86)
Allison ('89) Chantal ('89) Jerry ('89) Dean ('95) Allison ('01)
Rita ('05) Ike ('08) Harvey ('17) Imelda ('19) Beta ('20) Nicholas ('21)

TheOtherRick
Weather Watcher

Loc:
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Steve C]
      #98279 - Tue Sep 05 2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

It almost seems like NHC is waiting as long as possible on purpose before committing to where the northward turn will take Irma. In the meantime, they just keep leaving the last forcast day in the Straits. Even if they eventually decide it's an east coast scraper, they will just modify that last estimated position at the Keys to compensate. I could understand their reticence to committing to the turn. Once they do, the press will take it and run.

Exactly. And what better place to put the last forecast than directly on top of the Keys, to encourage them to get the heck out, starting now.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #98281 - Tue Sep 05 2017 05:57 PM

18Z GFS running, a bit further north in general this run (probably too far north based on the init since it avoids the islands, and looking at radar I don't see that happening), this run goes over the southern Bahamas starting Friday over the southern tip of Andros Island on Saturday morning (Cat 5) then starts to turn north over Andros Island. North Bahamas by Sunday.

130nm east of Cape Canaveral by Sunday night.

Landfall near Wilmington, NC late Monday night Cat 5

Again, this shows it clearing the NE Caribbean islands, if that does not happen its too far north from the get go. I suspect this will wind up swinging west again in later runs, unfortunately (and I wish it cleared the islands, for their sake)

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: MikeC]
      #98282 - Tue Sep 05 2017 06:08 PM

That only illustrates the discrepancies in the evaluation of the ridge between the two models. This is a return of the GFS to its earlier estimates before it seemed to settle further west before the turn. Believe me I don't want the storm in the east GOM. I am terrified of the storm surge and complications that will create. However I am not sold on the GFS solution and see the west coast solution as a distinct probability and am acting acccordingly.

--------------------
doug

chance
Weather Watcher

#98283 - Tue Sep 05 2017 06:14 PM

This is the lounge and i understand people do not like to predict but Clark if you went pure gut where do you think it goes? I understand just a opinion like many of us..

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #98284 - Tue Sep 05 2017 06:16 PM

The 18Z GFS is almost unfortunate because it looks to be way too much of an outlier compared to previous model runs and other models. This run isn't even really showing an eyewall hit on Florida, or just barely at that. Very much a large departure which I expect we'll see return back to the west when it runs again in the future.

That said, it sure would be a nice track if it verified. Although no path that gets close to any land is "good", this would be "better" than many other, much worse scenarios for Florida.

--------------------
Londovir

bahamaweather
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Abaco, Bahamas
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: doug]
      #98285 - Tue Sep 05 2017 06:18 PM

I've been seeing the eastward drifts in the GFS runs over the course of today.

I'm located at Abaco Island in the North-Western Bahamas and it's a no win situation no matter where this monster ends up- but am becoming slightly more alarmed with each new run that edges east.

It will be interesting to see how much latitude Irma gains tomorrow- I might really have to start to worry.

Thoughts and prayers for the Leewards, the SE Bahamas where evacuations have already started, and whoever else may be in the path of Irma.

--------------------
Erin '95, Dennis / Floyd / Irene '99, Francis / Jeanne '04

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Loc: Gulfport, FL
      #98286 - Tue Sep 05 2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Exactly. And what better place to put the last forecast than directly on top of the Keys, to encourage them to get the heck out, starting now.

It's been a while since a serious wind/storm surge event hurricane has been covered Live on the Weather Channel. The "Cry Wolf" situation is a dangerous one, and so many people watch the Weather Channel waiting for a powerful storm and their team tries so hard to be in the most impressive location. We watch every time, and think, "That is nothing. Is that a kid flying a kite in the background?" Even storms near Key West we've watched on Live TV as anticipated to be strong seemed very weak.

But a storm like this could be a deadly nightmare to be anywhere close. My wife graduated High School in Key West in the '70s and is distraught over what could happen with a Cat 5 direct hit. The entire island would be destroyed.

Just because the last several passes by the keys have been mild, that does not mean it would be a safe place to hang out during an Irma.

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

JMII
Weather Master

Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Londovir]
      #98287 - Tue Sep 05 2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Very much a large departure which I expect we'll see return back to the west when it runs again in the future.

Agree. Its either a bad model run or a new trend the other models haven't picked up on yet. Is the high becoming weaker? Is it pulling out? Where is the incoming front? Is the cut off low not happening now? This is why I don't pick a favorite model and instead follow the trends on all of them. We watched run after run go S and W. This moved Irma from out to sea (many days ago), to the Bahamas and finally into FL. Now we've got a single data point showing a near miss to the east? No real confidence in that scenario at this time.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Loc: Longwood, FL
      #98288 - Tue Sep 05 2017 06:43 PM

It will be interesting what the 00Z Euro shows. Will it shift significantly east too

--------------------
Keith (1988), Charley (2004), Frances (2004) , Jeanne (2004), Fay (2008), Mathew (2016), Irma (2017), Dorian (2019)

Personal Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KFLLONGW67

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #98289 - Tue Sep 05 2017 07:04 PM

last few frames of the floater Irma getting even more of a buzz saw shape. 190mph? EDIT recon found 916

Edited by lunkerhunter (Tue Sep 05 2017 07:15 PM)

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Loc: Gulfport, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #98292 - Tue Sep 05 2017 09:00 PM

The 8:36 pm EDT tracks have a big shift East.

http://flhurricane.com/modelanimator.php?storm=11&year=2017&title=11

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

leecherney

Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Prospero]
      #98294 - Tue Sep 05 2017 09:12 PM

Maybe the High won't be so strong? I won't believe were Irma goes, until it went.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: cieldumort]
      #98295 - Tue Sep 05 2017 09:47 PM

Wanted to mention the 18Z Hurricane focused models.

18Z HWRF has landfall in Big Pine Key sunday midday as a Cat 5, then south of Marco Island on the mainland cat 5 later that afternoon, run ends just east of Naples inland.

18Z HMON landfall cat 5 near Tavernier in the keys, just after midnight Sunday. mainland landfall soon after about 10 miles west of the US1 bridge, then moves over lake Okechobee and the winds up near Orlando late Sunday night where the run ends (Cat 3/4 at the time)

Of note I believe the 18Z GFS is too far north/east based on how the system initialized, (Too far north) Irma will likely be a nail biter up until the turn, which could take it from the Gulf coast to out to sea, still. If the trend lasts an entire 24 hours, I would feel better.

Colleen A.Moderator

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Prospero]
      #98296 - Tue Sep 05 2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

The 8:36 pm EDT tracks have a big shift East.

http://flhurricane.com/modelanimator.php?storm=11&year=2017&title=11

I have to say this: I'm not great at model runs and if this was a Cat 1 I wouldn't be so worried...I live inland. My husband is saying we need to decide whether to leave by tomorrow morning. I can honestly say that I don't know. Do we go to GA? I can only imagine the traffic and I don't want to run out of gas because I know the Keys are evacuating and Miami/Dade will probably be next...if not Ft. Myers/Naples. So I-75 to me is a no-go. We don't have any toll roads, so that's a great thing (although they've already suspended tolls). I guess I'm just looking for advice and I'm not getting much from the news. Do I wait for the next run? Will she run out of steam? Sorry, just venting. I have NO idea what to do. Flying is not an option at this point or I would already be in Chicago - but we have a dog that is sick with cancer and I've looked all over the place for shelters that will take pets but there aren't many options. My son goes to Florida Southern College in Lakeland and they are closing down on Thursday...out of country students *may* get a hotel room; out of state students are pretty much on their own. Thank goodness he only lives 10 minutes away from us. I could be jumping the gun here...so if I am, please feel free to tell me. I just don't know what to do. Ty in advance.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: SW FL
Re: HUR IRMA Lounge [Re: Colleen A.]
      #98297 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:04 PM

Colleen,

I'm in coastal Venice and been worrying a bit too, especially because the stores were already out of plywood this afternoon when I went to get some, but at this point it's looking like late Saturday or early Sunday at the earliest, so I think it's still too early to call. And you're well inland, so unless you're in a mobile home or really old house I would probably stay unless evacuation orders were issued.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 1400607

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center