Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially over. 2018's runs June 1st-Nov 30th, 2018.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 70 (Nate) , Major: 88 (Maria) Florida - Any: 98 (Irma) Major: 98 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> 2017 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL 28.49N 81.47W
Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area
      #98221 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:15 AM

This post is for conditions/observations related to Irma in your particular area. Either weather or public reaction/response to it.

For example, in Orlando by Millennia there are two warehouse clubs next to each other (BJs and Costco) BOTH were slammed this morning with folks getting gas and water (and other supplies) being quickly bought out, some with multiple carts full of water.

The gas stations for both had long lines, and we are 5 days out, so it appears a lot are getting prepped early here in Orlando.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Plant City, Florida 28.01N 82.12W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #98223 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:37 AM

The Walmart here in Plant City (east of Tampa) had a delivery of extra water yesterday morning. We got there about 3pm and it was going out the door 2 cases at a time. We bought 2 of my daughter's preferred type but not an entire cart full. Remember to have a way to fill your tub(s) and seal them full of water if you are directly in the path (the drain plug will usually let it leak out over a couple of days). This can be a great reservoir of extra water for washing and flushing as well. Plus fill any buckets you have lying around. Please do not horde important supplies. Get what you and your family may need for 3-5 days as standby. Just my opinion/advice as a life-long Floridian.

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

Prospero
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Gulfport, FL 27.74N 82.70W
      #98224 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:39 AM

Went to Walmart at 6:00 am in south St Petersburg and bought some of the last bottles of water they had (three 24 packs were left after I grabbed mine, and other shoppers were right behind me to get water). They did say they were going to get another shipment in later tonight. The store was as busy as a Saturday afternoon which I've never seen at 6:00 am. They were out of D sized batteries so I went to Sams Club a few blocks up at 7:20 am and it was slammed with people buying water and supplies. They announced they were sold out of generators. I bought my D batteries and they appeared to have a good supply, but there was a stream of people coming in as I left.

Around here people are taking this one seriously. In contrast, Hurricane Hermine barely raised an eyebrow.

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida 28.12N 80.58W
      #98225 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:42 AM

I noticed here in Indiatantic, people where hitting the Walmart and Dollar store real hard for water and supplies. Also tanks of propane are starting to move where ever they are located. Word is definitely out there about Irma.

gsand
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Palm Bay, FL 28.00N 80.38W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #98244 - Tue Sep 05 2017 01:27 PM

Malabar Road Publix in Palm Bay is out of water, they said they may split a load tonight with the Bayside Publix. Lowe's is running out of batteries and water.

Folks really are paying attention, which is great to see.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hazel 1954 Camille 1969 Agnes 1972 Bob 1991
Charley 2004 Frances 2004 Jeanne 2004 Matthew 2016
2017 Forecast- 12/5/2

Edited by gsand (Tue Sep 05 2017 01:30 PM)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Loc: Tampa
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: gsand]
      #98259 - Tue Sep 05 2017 03:46 PM

Gov. Scott has ordered tolls on all toll roads in Florida suspended, starting at 5 p.m

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL 26.67N 81.73W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #98268 - Tue Sep 05 2017 04:49 PM

Collier County has closed schools for Thursday and Friday. No word yet about Charlotte or Lee.

--------------------
In search of a witty sig.

JMII
Storm Tracker

Loc: Margate, Florida 26.26N 80.22W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: MissBecky]
      #98273 - Tue Sep 05 2017 05:04 PM

Line for gas at local BJ's Club (Coral Springs, FL) is double normal levels according to my wife.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced:
David ('79) - Floyd ('87) - Andrew ('92) - Georges ('98) - Irene ('99) - Frances & Jeanne ('04) - Katrina & Wilma ('05) - Matthew ('16)

Lautermilch

Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: JMII]
      #98276 - Tue Sep 05 2017 05:17 PM

Miami Shores Publix was packed this morning at 9:00Am. I did video for Facebook showing the empty water area.
WSVN out front interviewing people.

some in my office are leaving the area.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL 28.49N 81.47W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: JMII]
      #98277 - Tue Sep 05 2017 05:17 PM

Miami-Dade County has cancelled school Thursday and Friday 9/7 and 9/8. But school will be open tomorrow

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL 26.67N 81.73W
      #98278 - Tue Sep 05 2017 05:51 PM

Lee County schools are also closed Thursday and Friday.

Marco Island has issued a voluntary evacuation order.

Prospero
Weather Guru

Loc: Gulfport, FL 27.74N 82.70W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: MissBecky]
      #98291 - Tue Sep 05 2017 08:46 PM

I moved back to Florida in 2003, into the Tampa Bay area. In all these years, Charlie's projected path had the biggest impact on people I know around here. In fact, many did evacuate and drive to Orlando only to be more frightened during the middle of the night when Charlie kicked some behind over there. Since then, most storms haven't have a big impact on reactions. Granted, Francis, Jeanne, a few tropical storms and other hurricanes have wreaked some havoc around here, but the general public reaction was barely noticeable.

Now all of the sudden, people I know, friends and family, some are buying plane tickets to get away, everyone else is stocking up on supplies, even people I know who are "doubters" for every storm are taking this one very serious. It's not like this is the first storm with a lot of publicity and hype, there is something else that is waking people up.

I'm even a little apprehensive and I am one to invite a storm.

There is an energy about Irma that has everyone's attention, and there may be something to it that is ominous.

Oh, BTW, today is the anniversary of Hurricane Frances passing over Tampa Bay.

Edited by Prospero (Tue Sep 05 2017 08:50 PM)

LilE

Loc: Panama City, Florida
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: Prospero]
      #98299 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:05 PM

I agree with you. I also thought all of us sat for a week and watched Hurricane Harvey just recently. I know up here everyone is extremely nervous. I just saw a post on my local media FB page about Irma's latest run. The comment section was all from here except one. She was in Jacksonville. She said they were out of water, running low on gas, the traffic was terrible and she said everyone was very nervous.

I have heard this from quite a few cities, no hotels/motels, low gas, no water, traffic was bad.
So, folks up here are getting ready which is weird because usually they couldn't care less. My Mom had to go out this am so she went for water, she went to 3 stores and couldn't find any. she said the traffic was awful and the stores were packed.

Http://fl511.com
- State of Florida road conditions...traffic flow, accidents, cameras for the whole State. Has a mobile phone app.

Edited by LilE (Tue Sep 05 2017 10:09 PM)

Daniel Jones

Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: LilE]
      #98302 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:19 PM

Water is still available in the greater Deltona area in places such as Big Lots, Family Dollar, Dollar General, and stores like that. Those are usually the last places to run out because they're easily forgotten in a crisis. Several Orlando-based breweries have opened up their industrial filter systems for filling containers with water pre-storm. Check with your local brewery to see if they can and/or will do such, and buy a beer while you're there.

As of right now, Seminole County Schools (which I work for) has not made a determination for school closures. However, Friday night games have been moved to Thursday night. Normal Thursday night games (Fr/JV) have been moved to Wednesday or will be rescheduled. I'll update here as soon as I know more.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Rhode Island 26.19N 80.10W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: Daniel Jones]
      #98307 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:48 PM

You can use tap water people!

Fill containers.

--------------------

Survived:
Gloria,Bob,Katrina,Wilma and a bunch of tropical storms.

Edited by ftlaudbob (Tue Sep 05 2017 10:49 PM)

kapSt.Cloud
Weather Watcher

Loc: Florida
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #98309 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:53 PM

Not if you lose power and have a well. No power...no well unless you have a generator.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: kapSt.Cloud]
      #98311 - Tue Sep 05 2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Not if you lose power and have a well. No power...no well unless you have a generator.

I mean now.Fill containers,you don;t need it to be bottled water.

--------------------

Survived:

Lamar-Plant City
Storm Tracker

Loc: Plant City, Florida 28.01N 82.12W
      #98313 - Tue Sep 05 2017 11:13 PM

I have 3 large garbage cans. If it is headed this way, I will clean and sterilize them and fill them with water in my garage. Can be used for washing, flushing and in a pinch drinking (i have a Brita pitcher filter which should do fine to make it drinkable if there is a question.)

--------------------
If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes...
2017 Season Prediction: 16/7/3

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: Lamar-Plant City]
      #98314 - Tue Sep 05 2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

I have 3 large garbage cans. If it is headed this way, I will clean and sterilize them and fill them with water in my garage. Can be used for washing, flushing and in a pinch drinking (i have a Brita pitcher filter which should do fine to make it drinkable if there is a question.)

Yea,what do you think people did before all this insane bottled water craze?

--------------------

Survived:

Edited by ftlaudbob (Tue Sep 05 2017 11:17 PM)

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida 28.12N 80.58W
      #98345 - Wed Sep 06 2017 09:44 AM

Lots of cancelations here at our hotel. Went from 90% occupancy to 40% in twelve hours. Probably go down farther. The functions that where scheduled all canceled also. Most likely close the hotel starting Friday night and Saturday for sure if watches and warnings go up. Looks like it`ll be a wash revenue wise. We`ll start getting ready for Irma after the 11:00 update if it stays the same.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16910

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center