F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Weather Bloggers >> Blogger Discussion

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Handymancopy

Reged: Thu
Read an Interesting article. Do you think the Salt Sink Theory could work?
      #99350 - Thu Jul 19 2018 10:55 AM

REad an article on Medium about the Salt Sink Theory and I wanted to know from you guys if we can actually use it to prevent hurricanes from forming. If it does actually work, why haven't it been applied. Your thoughts and comments, please.
https://medium.com/@tomcartney/the-power...pe-6ff3c2956179

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Read an Interesting article. Do you think the Salt Sink Theory could work? [Re: Handymancopy]
      #99356 - Sun Aug 05 2018 03:00 PM

Thought this interesting topic deserves some discussion. I've seen this before (as well as different versions of it - using other technology to disrupt SSTs ahead of tropical cyclones).

Personally, I think it could work, but with a great many known, unknown and known unknown unintended consequences. Hurricanes are part of the natural order of the earth's climate system. They pull heat and moisture from the equatorial regions and send them to higher latitudes. This has gone on, one could assume, ever since we first had warmer oceans near the equator and colder oceans at the poles.

Doombot!
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
Re: Read an Interesting article. Do you think the Salt Sink Theory could work? [Re: Handymancopy]
      #99357 - Sun Aug 05 2018 03:24 PM

A couple thoughts that mostly echo the one above.

1. Disrupting ocean currents and tempatures is not only hard, but dangerous. We have no idea what the concequences would be, but from our collective experience, when we can modify nature, it usually goes poorly.

2. We need Hurricanes. Strong ones. They're massive heat engines that convert heat into energy. The more Hurricanes, the slower global warming will progress. The big key would be to figure out how to significantly weaken, or completely dissipate the storm just before landfall.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9062

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center