Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The Atlantic is mostly quiet now.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 283 (Nate) , Major: 301 (Maria) Florida - Any: 310 (Irma) Major: 310 (Irma)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2006 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL 27.20N 80.30W
Hurricane Fatigue..? [Re: Bloodstar]
      #64849 - Wed Apr 05 2006 11:57 PM

Quote:

Even though I wasn't affected by last summer directly, anyone else still suffering from 'Hurricane Fatigue'?

I am not fatigued at all.
A tad exaspertaed maybe when just 2 weeks ago my carport was finally replaced from hurricane Wilma's visit last October.

Most of we Floridians realize we are going to get hammered by hurricanes nearly every season.
Wwe hunker down...we endure...and we recover.
We do not dwell on the inevitable.

Doesn't really matter anyways as my state of Florida has so much more to offer other than brief visits from Mother Nature.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
Re: no change [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #64850 - Thu Apr 06 2006 01:34 AM

i doubt those analogs they have are very strong. 1996 may be the best, because it followed a hyper-active year, 1995. ed already pointed this out, but i dunno. 1995 had most of its activity in the open atlantic and a freakish lack of activity out in the eastern atlantic in 2005 made it completely different. the set of analogs this year's graycast gives includes more north carolina hits than anything else. usually some out to sea recurvatures and usually a late season caribbean/gulf storm or two also. but that could be any year.
one thing i'd be wary of is a continued lack of activity in the pacific. the eastpac has been consistently slow for most of the last decade, but the westpac was significantly slower than normal last year. the northern hemisphere was doing most of its tropical-mid latitude energy exchange in the atlantic last year, and that was a huge problem for us. having a ridge weakness persistently inland over the eastern u.s. in 2004 and the central u.s. in 2005 during the heart of the season also contributed. forecasting these things isn't something that can be done with any confidence, as far as i know... definitely from this far out. probably won't have a good idea of how things will play out until summer.
HF 0534z06april

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
2005 Names to be retired [Re: HanKFranK]
      #64851 - Thu Apr 06 2006 10:24 AM

From this article on March 30th:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N30175861.htm

" The WMO is looking at retiring the names of Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Stan and Wilma because of the damage and deaths associated with those storms in 2005. More than 60 hurricane names have been retired to date.

"I suspect that at least four or five will be retired, maybe more," Mayfield said. "We will vote on it some time this week."

A supplemental list of names for Atlantic storms is also being discussed to replace the Greek alphabet. Forecasters ran out of names last year and had to resort to a backup list of Greek letters to name the final six storms.
"

I guess they never thought they'd have to use those Greek names...and when they did, they were just as unappealing to them, as they were to us!

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc: 45.95N 84.55W
Re: 2005 Names to be retired [Re: Margie]
      #64852 - Thu Apr 06 2006 01:02 PM

They went ahead and retired the 5 storms Margie listed from that news article. Surprising for its omission is Emily.

The replacement names are Don, Katia (that's not close), Rina (still sounds awfully like Rita), Sean, and Whitney. Let's just hope we don't see a Whitney in 2011; even then, I'm sure the Whitney Houston jokes would be flying just like they did with Wilma & the Flintstones this year.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

saluki
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL 26.20N 80.12W
Re: Hurricane Fatigue..? [Re: ltpat228]
      #64853 - Thu Apr 06 2006 01:27 PM

Still many reminders of Wilma in our Fort Lauderdale neighborhood. Many of the trees that managed to survive are just starting to recover. Downed fences and damaged roofs remain. And not a day goes by without the local papers reporting on insurers either canceling coverage or raising rates dramatically in South Florida (our windstorm insurance premium is almost doubling to more than $3,000 this year, even with discounts for shutters, reinforced garage door, etc.). Not sure I'd call it hurricane fatigue ... more like a hangover!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
In 2006, let's not all boldly go there [Re: saluki]
      #64854 - Thu Apr 06 2006 01:31 PM

My mother said that some of the trees damaged by Katrina in MS are starting to get some leaves returning, finally -- and this week the birds started coming back. Everyone is so glad to hear birds singing again.

As far as TC names...I can't wait for "Captain" Kirk, and all the inevitable references. Already anticipating ad nauseum "boldly going where no tropical cyclone has gone before"...bring out the barf bags! Should I send Beven a warning not to even consider it, LOL (probably wouldn't do any good).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC 33.56N 81.82W
name change [Re: Margie]
      #64855 - Thu Apr 06 2006 02:32 PM

No really, they could have done better replacing Rita. Just watch--Rina will get retired and be replaced by Rida, and nobody will know which one anyone is talking about. Rita Rina Rida. As for Emily hanging on... geez, what is it now, three times affecting land as a major hurricane and still on the list? It got the Dominican Republic at cat 3 in 1987, the Hatteras area at cat 3 in 1993, and then a cat 4 and 3 hit on Mexico in 2005. I'm seeing a pattern here that I don't like...
HF 1931z06april

LONNY307
Unregistered

Re: SO WHAT'S IT GOING TO BE? [Re: HanKFranK]
      #64856 - Thu Apr 06 2006 04:16 PM

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/index.html
Seems there up in the air to what phase will be during the season. I say a weak La Nina maybe neutral. But what do I know.

Deep Surge
Unregistered

Re: name change [Re: HanKFranK]
      #64857 - Thu Apr 06 2006 06:32 PM

I can't believe they didn't retire hurricane Emily! I was wondering if they would finally retire a name that needs to rest in peace. Wow, why did they do that? There are 3 or 4 Hurricanes with the name Emily that has done something worth noting. Oh well. The other names that got the boot isn't surprising and Hurricane stan killed many people so it's right. Those new names sound a lot like the ones in 2005.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Re: Hurricane Fatigue..? [Re: saluki]
      #64860 - Thu Apr 06 2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Still many reminders of Wilma in our Fort Lauderdale neighborhood.

Yeh, I was advised Wilton Manors got slammed pretty good! You poor people.
I'm born and raised in 'Lauderdale for 31 years and been up here the last 21.
I returned for a year to work for Nick Navarro and didn't wish to deal with all that city life...ha ha.

I wish you the VERY best, Fort Lauderdale and ALL of Broward County!!!!!!!!!!!

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Loc: hollywood,florida 26.19N 80.10W
Re: Hurricane Fatigue..? [Re: ltpat228]
      #64861 - Fri Apr 07 2006 10:58 AM

If you fly into or out of Ft Lauderdale you will be amazed at how many "blue roofs" there still are.Many business signs still not fixed,also many street lights are still not working.And to think Wilma was a cat 2 coming from the west,That to me is the scarest part.

--------------------

Survived:
Gloria,Bob,Katrina,Wilma and a bunch of tropical storms.

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Re: Hurricane Fatigue..? [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #64870 - Fri Apr 07 2006 09:18 PM

Knowing that my home town got hammered truly saddens me, Robert.
Even though I am only 2 hours north of you now, obviously Fort Laudredale will always be centered in my heart.
How did A1A make out, especially near Bahia Mar?
I looked in the Sentinel as soon as photos were posted and couldn't believe what I saw.
I am grateful you are okay.

Psyber
Weather Guru

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: name change [Re: HanKFranK]
      #65070 - Tue May 02 2006 09:43 AM

Quote:

No really, they could have done better replacing Rita. Just watch--Rina will get retired and be replaced by Rida, and nobody will know which one anyone is talking about. Rita Rina Rida. As for Emily hanging on... geez, what is it now, three times affecting land as a major hurricane and still on the list? It got the Dominican Republic at cat 3 in 1987, the Hatteras area at cat 3 in 1993, and then a cat 4 and 3 hit on Mexico in 2005. I'm seeing a pattern here that I don't like...
HF 1931z06april

A pattern sayyyy...that borders on not retiring hurricanes that don't do a load of continental USA damage?

For some of you that remember late last year, I alluded to some different sets of standards that get applied when hurricanes hit places other than the united states. I guess storms that flatten and kill outside the USA, just aren't big enough news to get them retired.

poolwatcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Re: Gulf Trees [Re: Randrew]
      #65397 - Sat May 27 2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the shots of the trees Margie.
The oaks will mostly survive. Just lots of rain to leach out the salt will speed that up.
Sorry about the Pecans. They might not like all the salts in the SOIl.
I am happy that you were able to see what hurricanes can do to those that have to live through them.
Please remember this....everyone must remember this. It is no joke ....nor is it fun in any way.
People lose their homes and their lives and everything is forever changed by these storms.
If those that read this happen to live in non-hurricane prone areas.....you have no idea until you live through this. If you live through it!

That is correct. We lost our house in Jeanne as did our neighbors who also lost their business buildings. Folks just wandering around stunned for weeks, hunting for ice, gas, water and food all day everyday for about a week. It's hard to describe it if you have not actually seen it. My guess is the Gulf coast was ten times what Jeanne was, and Jeanne was something to behold.

And to add insult to injury, watching folks argue with insurance adjustors, especially Citizens Insurance. I do not know why the government does not simply say to the Insurance Companies, "If you want to write auto policies, or any policies at all in Florida, you also have to write hurricane insurance policies". And I dont know why the liability is not spread out across America, rather than just across Florida. (Same for earthquake insurance in Calif., tornado insurance in midwest). Insurance is going up so high, some folks are talking about going "bare".

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Topic views: 33012

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center