Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

11 dissipates, Leslie Forms unlikely to affect US. Kirk will need to be watched in the Caribbean (but likely to remain weak).
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 10 (Florence) , Major: 369 (Maria) Florida - Any: 378 (Irma) Major: 378 (Irma)
9.5N 37.4W
Wind: 35MPH
Pres: 1007mb
Moving:
W at 24 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
32.6N 48.6W
Wind: 40MPH
Pres: 1004mb
Moving:
S at 6 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
Invest 98LClick for Invest Information from CIMSS
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Archives 2000s >> 2003 News Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
cajun
Unregistered

Re: Claudette Stalls
      #7906 - Mon Jul 14 2003 08:49 PM

latest vortex has 988 nb abd 75 knts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
      #7907 - Mon Jul 14 2003 08:56 PM

Yeah, no doubt watching her on radar, she's got some impressive feeder bands off in the north quadrants... not sure what's in the east because radar probably can penetrate through all the convection from the west side... radar loop definitely shows a WNW motion, almost hints of a course just north of due west.... regardless, I think the fat lady is singing and Ms C is on the move to her ultimate resting place.. I sure in the heck hope so...... Tx was due.... question begs to be asked... who will be next? And what is going to happen on this board when we get that Cat 3 or 4 impacting the US... boy should that be interesting.....

Domino
Weather Guru

Loc: Makati City, Philippines
      #7908 - Mon Jul 14 2003 08:58 PM

Everyone say hello to this season's first hurricane. (yes, I know the minute I say this the NHC will say it was a fluke and keep it as a TS)

CFHCAdministrator

Reged: Sun
Loc: East Central Florida
      #7909 - Mon Jul 14 2003 09:02 PM

988 mb vortex message from recon... should now be a hurricane.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Radar pixs impressive
      #7910 - Mon Jul 14 2003 09:22 PM

Claudette now moving just north of due west, if not due west, I guess around 6-8 mph... very impressive on the radar loop out of Houston/Galveston... if its not a hurricane right now I be very surprised as her presentation on radar look pretty good... very classical, but rather small......

Weather Master

Loc: W. Central Florida
      #7911 - Mon Jul 14 2003 09:28 PM

Don't feel bad Domino if it happens that way. It took me all day to post that I had my doubts that it was going to go West and then right after I made my post she started her turn to the West. Hey, it's a learning and thought process. I'm real happy when I even get close. My thoughts and prayers go out to all that is in the path of Claudette. Stay safe and check in when you can.

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
      #7912 - Mon Jul 14 2003 09:39 PM

The thing that stuns me was the absolute LACK of rainfall up this way. Every now and then you get a TS that acts like a hurricane where the moisture bands just die 5-30 miles inland. Apparently that's what happened with Claudette. It's the polar opposite of what happened with Frances in 1998 - a storm a couple hundred miles east of Texas that brings tons of flooding rains to the city of N.O. I was hoping for more than an occasional drip-drop, but at least I got that - and a cloudy day without flooding!!!!!

And while she's not inland yet, I see her 50 miles N/S of Victoria. I've got to give my forecast a B- overall. I hit the timing okay with the "sometime Tuesday" call. I was off on landfall with my Willacy Co./Cameron Co., TX call from Friday at 7am. I'll be 6 or 7 counties away but in the right state. I predicted a day or two stall, and did pretty good with that. I said the trof wouldn't have a major influence, and it didn't. I called for Cat-1 or Cat-2, and I think I'm going to hit that one pretty good.

I give myself an even "B" on Bill which was only 2 parishes off (also the right state). I'd have to go back and look, but I might have had Bill as a Cat-1. If I had it as a strong T.S., I'll take the B+. I said Cameron or Vermillion Parishes, LA, but it ended up going in Terrebonne (two over from Vermillion if you don't count Iberia's since it doesn't extend to the coast).

So far, reasonably good for 2003. Let's get Claudette's happy rear-end out of here and get those SST's in the Gulf cranking again for August and September and another rendezvous with tropical action.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
      #7914 - Mon Jul 14 2003 09:52 PM

Well looks as if the ball has been called! I will stick w/ my final 50 of Freeport @ Cat 1. I really can see the logic w/ the NHC call but the timing was my thing. The NHC may be on a new episode Fear Factor w/ this one but a good call is a good call! I really hope no matter what all make it OK on this one but "C" gets classed a Cat 1 for the books

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Weather Master

Loc: W. Central Florida
      #7915 - Mon Jul 14 2003 10:10 PM

And I would say that they threw a good ball. I know that I would not want their job. As I said before in another post some time ago, I have seen Steve Lyons on TWC with sweat on his brow and a very relieved look on his face with past hurricanes and their tracks. Claudette has been a pain with her multi-centers,but has kept us very busy. It's only the middle of July and we are on the 3rd storm of the season. If the rest of the season is anything like Claudette most of us will either be very gray headed or no hair at all. Even the poor crows are goin to lose some feathers!

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Domino
Weather Guru

Loc: Makati City, Philippines
      #7921 - Mon Jul 14 2003 11:21 PM

Yep I shoulda known. They still call it a TS at 10pm. I think I'll give up and have a nap with my pet crow.

Terra
Unregistered

#7944 - Tue Jul 15 2003 10:57 AM

I just found this site and had to laugh when I read your post. I am an earth science instructor at a local Louisiana University and after catching up on the storm tracking info (I was out of town all weekend), discussed the strengthening of the storm with my class. I then said (without having a clue what was going on with the upper atmosphere meteorology) that I thought the storm would hit around Lake Charles, once it started moving again. But, until then, it would sit still and strengthen. When I looked at the new coordinates, sure enough I was wrong, and it was headed back to Texas:)

Just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one:)

Terra

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22196

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center