Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane CenterHurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

#Maria affecting DR, Approaching Turks and Caicos, but very likely to stay well east of the mainland US. PR seeing the last bands today.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 2 (Maria) , Major: 2 (Maria) Florida - Any: 12 (Irma) Major: 12 (Irma)
39.3N 69.1W
Wind: 45MPH
Pres: 996mb
Moving:
Se at 3 mph
Click for Storm Spotlight
31.9N 49.2W
Wind: 40MPH
Pres: 1009mb
Moving:
N at 6 mph
24.8N 72.0W
Wind: 120MPH
Pres: 952mb
Moving:
Nnw at 9 mph
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> 2017 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL 26.67N 81.73W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: Ronn]
      #98910 - Thu Sep 14 2017 11:57 AM

Still no power or water here in Buckingham, where there is some of the worst flooding. FPL has said they hope to have the power restored by Sept 22. A friend in Lehigh Acres was told it would be a month for their power to be restored.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WeatherFor

Reged: Fri
      #98916 - Fri Sep 15 2017 05:08 AM

Life in our country is getting better in Miami.
My sister took the cat out for a walk.
The cat tried to play with the leaves a little, but it was too wet around.

Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Loc: Plant City, FL
      #98928 - Fri Sep 15 2017 04:02 PM

We are in the Antioch area of Plant City. We got hit pretty good. Lost quite a few trees and many branches. We received so much rain that most of our property was under water. Water out back was almost waist deep the night she hit. Water covered the driveway and was over the road in some spots. We have never seen so much water. We lost electricity Sunday night and it was restored about an hour ago. Thank God for our generator. One thing I can thank Irma for is convincing us to get a large standby generator, coming soon! Goodbye and good riddance Irma!

Prospero
Weather Guru

Loc: Gulfport, FL 27.74N 82.70W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: Littlebit]
      #98940 - Sat Sep 16 2017 08:58 PM

Gulfport, Florida:
Power finally came back on around noon here. I can say, it is actually cooler inside tonight than outside for the first time in seven days.

On Saturday morning we woke up to The Hurricane Center aiming Irma right up Gulfport and St. Pete as a Cat 4 or so. Normally I'd be posting on this forum giving my latest blah blah blah, but the fear was a bit overwhelming and we scrambled to do even more preventative measures here.

Irma missed us, but even so our power was knocked out at 7:50 pm on the 10th. A big part of our neighbor's tree fell on our house around midnight. We were lucky that so far it appears the wind softened the fall and there may be no damage. Our yard was full of debris, and we still have a few piles of branches and debris. We lost a "Cassia" tree, a Bougainvillea, and had the dangerous Cherry Oak totally removed off our home and down to the stump.

Here's the rub...

The strongest gust we had in our yard was 38 mph. That was the moment we lost power. Our weather station kept collecting data all week, and even around midnight when the tree fell the gust was 37 mph.

Curious, Hurricane Hermine brought stronger gusts around here. But we never lost power. Hermine with it's 39 mph gusts did bring down a big chunk of the same tree on our roof that fell on our house this time. But all in all, around Pinellas County with hurricane speed winds, Hermine was nothing compared to Irma with tropical storm winds.

OK, as someone who has an electrical education, there is Voltage vs Current. So in the Hermine/Irma situation, it may be like Hermine had a peak voltage that was very high (wind gusts in the hurricane speed range around 80 mph in some places), but Irma had a sustained current (30 to 40 mpg winds that did not let up all around the county up to 65 mph or so) that was way more amperage than Hermine and very much more powerful.

Looking at the weather stations around here, Pinellas County barely had hurricane winds at all (if at all), so our week of no power for 400,000 customers was all from a powerful tropical storm effect from Irma. In order to recharge our cell phones, my wife and I drove around and there are some areas that are not touched and other areas that were slammed. Yet I am still looking for 70+ mph winds and Irma was just a tropical storm here.

Hmmm, BIG slow tropical storm vs. little fast Cat 1 hurricane? Big slow may be worse.

Ronn
User

Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: Prospero]
      #98942 - Sat Sep 16 2017 10:51 PM

I just got power back on at noon today as well, making it almost six days without power since 5pm Sunday, 9/10.

Pinellas County definitely experienced some hurricane force gusts: 74mph at the St. Pete/Clearwater Airport ASOS and 87mph in Belleair. We will have to wait for the official post storm report from the NWS in Ruskin for the final numbers. There is definitely variation in wind damage. My area received quite a bit, but it doesn't look as bad a couple miles east in the central part of the county.

I used to have a personal weather station in my yard and it always under-reported wind by a large margin, so much so that I elected not to replace it for that reason. In most normal yard situations, it is impossible to place the anemometer at the appropriate height above ground and distance from obstructions to yield accurate readings.

saltysenior
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: stuart,fl. 27.14N 80.20W
      #98981 - Tue Sep 19 2017 10:21 AM

Observation question ;

Observed little damage in the Stuart area....while riding in a 15 mile loop did not see a wire down.....3 days latter many out of state utility co. trucks riding or parked in groups but no one working as there was nothing to do....me and a lot of friends in other areas of the state were w/o power for 5 to 7 days..
my question is why did it take so long to restore power when there was so little visible damage to their system......does FP&L have a weak spot ????

Owlguin
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: saltysenior]
      #98986 - Tue Sep 19 2017 05:00 PM

Power was out in my entire area of Boca Raton from Sunday about 4PM until either Friday or Saturday night. I traveled from Boca to West Palm and up to Melbourne. I think there is a marked decrease in damage to trees from about Delray north, but there is still considerable damage all the way up the coast to Melbourne. Trees in my area of Boca (east of I-95) took a considerable hit...I would say comparable to Frances in this area and not nearly as bad as Wilma. I think the only reason the tree damage wasn't worse than Frances is that there are fewer Ficus trees now. Where I see the most damage, there are ficus and other non-natives. I saw very little structural damage in this area and no flooding. Very few poles down and FPL generally did a much better job at keeping and restoring power than in 2004-2005.

Is there a radar loop recording of Irma as it moved through Florida that can be viewed?

cieldumortModerator

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx 30.40N 97.80W
Re: Irma Conditions/Observations in your Area [Re: MikeC]
      #98995 - Wed Sep 20 2017 10:50 AM

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, MikeC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, SkeetoBite, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12145

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center