F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: Models do not bode well right now for GOM... [Re: javlin]
      #20335 - Sun Aug 15 2004 09:40 PM

In Cocoa Beach, very little storm damage besides downed tree limbs and one business's sign knocked down. Also, sorry if this sounds like an amateur question, but LI Phil mentioned 'dynagel,' and I was just wondering what it means.
I don't mean to break the non-talk of it; just curious...
Thanks

Edited by ShaggyDude (Sun Aug 15 2004 09:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: left/westward? [Re: HanKFranK]
      #20336 - Sun Aug 15 2004 09:48 PM

Hf one thing thou the N componets so far go as such 11.1,11.3,11.4,11.7,11.8,11.9,12.0,12.3 this is one of two jumps .3 N,now they want to call it W.What is it that they see?

Edited by javlin (Sun Aug 15 2004 10:05 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Well I just opened a huge can of worms...sorry [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #20337 - Sun Aug 15 2004 09:49 PM

The dynagel reference is sort of a running board joke, but since I brought it up, I better explain...

From the NHC FAQ pages click on "C5". Dynagel was thought to be a substance which, if dropped on a hurricane, could reduce it's strength. More of an urban legend than anything else. Sort of like the silver iodide experiments of the 60's & 70's.

I'm sorry I brought it up, but if you require additional explanation, send me a PM and I can tell you the history of the "dynagel joke."

Cheers all,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Models do not bode well right now for GOM... [Re: ShaggyDude]
      #20338 - Sun Aug 15 2004 09:50 PM

Its a substance that is reportedly been invented to break up hurricanes. We believe it is half myth and half research. Some of us started to joke about it over the 2001, 2002, 2003 seasons, whenever a potential storm would form and fall apart due to upperlevel stacking problems. IT is now just a joke.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
Re: Models do not bode well right now for GOM... [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20340 - Sun Aug 15 2004 10:31 PM

Thanks, sounds very imposs--, uh, interesting. Nice for a laugh, though.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #20341 - Sun Aug 15 2004 10:36 PM

Well they didn't drop any dynagel into Charley. !!
A few items of news from the Orlando area,
No school monday or tuesday in volusia, seminole and osceola counties. Polk county schols out all next week. Lots of damage here into the millions of dollars. Ice and Water being brought into areas that need it.
I am lucky. I never lost power or had any damage but if I had been just a few miles East, it would have been a much different story.
Thanks everyone on the board for the reports and discussions that kept a lot of us going prior to and during Charley.
Earl looks to be moving too fast to develop very quickly.
I don't even want to think of another storm right now.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Models do not bode well right now for GOM... [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #20343 - Sun Aug 15 2004 11:14 PM

Just took another look at EArl on the Infared 1/2 hour loops and although he is experiencing a diurnal cooling of cloud tops. He looks enormous in total diameter. I am hoping to see him downgraded to a use-to-was tomorrow. Of course I am going to prepare as though he was taking dead aim at polk county. I am hearing really, heart wrenching stories around here of people who evacuated to our area to escape Tampa only to have roofs blown off of the places they escaped to and I talked to a woman earlier today in line at a Grocery store who had driven 44 miles to get ice. It is hard not to feel somewhat guilty when our lights did not even go off. Grateful and guilty.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Hurricane Charley Video [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20346 - Mon Aug 16 2004 12:27 AM

User 1234 posted a link on the previous page to some video from Hurricane Charley. It appears that link is not functioning.

Here is a functioning link

http://www.extremestorms.com/Charlie%20Core-%20Punta%20Gorda.wmv

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
      #20347 - Mon Aug 16 2004 12:51 AM

The 18Z run of the AVN/GFS pretty much kills off Earl and brings in a new player way out & low...... got to look back but I think this may be one HF was speaking of a few post back.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Edited by Storm Cooper (Mon Aug 16 2004 12:53 AM)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Models do not bode well right now for GOM... [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #20348 - Mon Aug 16 2004 12:57 AM

Woooo. What a weekend. Finally got power back. Charley scored our shed that was suppose to stay tied down to 110MPH. We were lucky. A lot of folks a lot worse off, so I feel lucky with the minor damage. Not something I want to repeat anytime soon. So if I wish for Earl and his siblings to poof out, I hope you all understand.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
No recon [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #20350 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:01 AM

Looks like recon had some troubles today before getting out to Earl, as they transmitted their last report after only 5 observations about 4 deg. latitude north of Earl. Suspect mechanical problems, but we'll know more at 11p when the next discussion comes out.

Earl is trying to make a comeback it seems, and the outflow envelope of the storm is very expansive. Danielle continues to look healthy, perhaps with the eye contracting ever-so-slightly. SSTs aren't unfavorable, but there's a lot of dry air in the region at the midlevels. Major hurricane status still isn't out of the question, but it's probably got to do it soon.

New wave - the one HF alluded to - is now emerging off of the coast, still looking fairly healthy...perhaps even better than it did over land. It's got a shot, but the other one behind it may find things a bit more favorable (at least in the short term).

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Reged:
Re: No recon [Re: Clark]
      #20351 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:02 AM

Never mind they moved the floater on me without telling me

http://www.hardcoreweather.com[/url]

Edited by 1234 (Mon Aug 16 2004 01:05 AM)

DroopGB31
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: No recon [Re: 1234]
      #20354 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:21 AM

I have a question. Ealier today I saw a guy Live on MSNBC in Punta Gorda and he was talking about the storm damage. He thinks that Charley may not have been a Cat 4 at landfall. He said in the Upper 2, Cat 3 range. Judging from the video I have seen, this was definetly a Cat 4. I think some people dont realize how small this hurricane was at landfall and that onlya very small area really expirenced the strongest winds. It seems though that a large area has been devastated. I just dont think a Cat 3 could cause all the damage the area has seen. I personally believe somewhere near the eyewall could have seen gust in the 155 to 175 mph range IMHO. Does anyone else have comments?

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: 173 gust [Re: DroopGB31]
      #20355 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:26 AM

I read that an unofficial gust recorded at one of the hostiptals in Port Charlotte was 173 Clearly this had winds 130+ just watch some of the video.

--------------------
doug

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: No recon [Re: DroopGB31]
      #20356 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:27 AM

Having seen the way the storm acted first hand, It was extremely compact. Also the speed the system traversed meant that the wind levels were not sustained for the amount of time that a slower moving system would. If the system had been moving slower, it would have expended much more energy and destruction at the landfall point. Instead it spread its destruction far far inland. That is why the damage does not seem up to cat 4. It was a cat 4 system. The damage was mitigated by the forward speed.

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: No recon [Re: 1234]
      #20357 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:27 AM

I saw it! yep hes got an eye. when I refreshed the page it was gone! whats up with that?

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: No recon [Re: DroopGB31]
      #20358 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:31 AM

Shep from FOX News had a talk w/ Max from the NHC posing the same question. The NHC will go back and study the data and decide if a Cat 3 or 4 made landfall but in the end what happened happened... 10 mph or so really made no difference... it was bad. BTW... Shep Smith used to be at our own Ch7 (home of JK) years ago.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: 173 gust [Re: doug]
      #20359 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:36 AM

I would tend to think it was a Cat 4 at landfall as well. Maybe someone can work out the wind speeds and rate of deterioration of a landfalling hurricane but it was still a cat 2 when it hit Lake Whales in Polk county and with gusts of 105 mph in Orlando, it had to be pretty strong to hold together on it's over 100 mile journey inland to Orlando.
so much depends on where you are in relation to the eyewall where the strongest winds were experienced.
My sister said that ice was being shipped in from North Carolina to the Volusia county area today.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: No recon [Re: Clark]
      #20361 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:41 AM

I saw that too Clark. I wondered if they were just saving fuel!
Fly out, find tropical storm wind speeds, and fly back! Not Likely-Safety First. Looking at earlier flights today I think that AF985 and AF977 are both flying out of St Croix, as both their lat/ longs from today are in the Caribbean. Looks like the last report, before they turned back, was from west of Dominica.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Big surprise ... latest model runs shifts right.. [Re: danielw]
      #20365 - Mon Aug 16 2004 01:52 AM

I think we are in a mode where we are going to shift left and right many times throughout the week... lets start watching trends and see if they can get more clustered over time...

http://www.midatlanticwx.com/modelmap.htm

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37541

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center