F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Eye Problems?? [Re: AgentB]
      #24746 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:32 PM

Good morning: AgentB is correct and if you read the Melborne weather statement you see that analysis better than I can make it. The bet now is the ridge will retreat and the storm will turn quickly to the right nobody knows where...
actually there are four players in this mix: 1. Ivan and its intensity...the current situation is rearable...cause: internal disruption due to interaction with Hispanola in the north side of its circulation...that will slacken off as it moves further west...Ivan intensity as forecast is the best assumption.
2. the ULL now at about 30n/55w this has had an influence on the thrust of the ridge to the WSW over the last two days. This has not dived as far down to the sw or maiaintained its vigor as it looked like it would yesterday and if this continues to weaken it will allow the ridge to begin to relax.
3. the atl ridge: see the above for how the pros are forecasting that to play out.
4.The trough on the east coast...not as much of a player as first thought, IMO...the impulse coming across the Tenessee valley has weakened and will move more to the NE than SE

Thus the big player is the axis of the ridge...that is pretty clearly visible on the WV... the WV also shows the moisture path over Florida....the northern most of that is over the big bend area.

Clues for path determination will for me be the moisture streams in the high levels that proceed off the north coast of Cuba as Ivan approaches Cuba from the south. In the case of Charley the storm took a direct path following the flows that lead into Charlotte Harbor.
Even now I am beginning to see the projected future path of the hurricane as directly over or just to the right of the Isle of Youth in a NW direction into the W GOM and then NE back into the middle west coast of Florida. Since this is the WORST case for me personally, and I have already been within 25 miles of the centers of two of these in the last three weeks.. THIS IS NOT A WISHCAT...it is just what I see, unfortunately,

people in my area are taking this very seriously unprecedented boarding up and the like...it is af if an internal sense is triggering something...

--------------------
doug

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mozart
Unregistered

Re: JAMAICA [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #24747 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:33 PM

Is that radar updating? It says 4:35?

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Eye Problems?? [Re: Ed in Va]
      #24748 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks BillD and AgentB...I see what you mean. It looks at this point, then, that the high is winning and and the ridge is retreating or breaking down.??

Well the "ridge" is from the high pressure. The basics are troughs and ridges. On the WV you can see the trough of low pressure squeezed in between the two high pressure systems. With the high pressure(ridge) to the east of Florida building in closer to the state. Currently it's over part of the Bahamas. What will happen is that Ivan will follow along the bottom of the high pressure until it finds the weakness between the two caused by the trough and it will make its turn there and head north. Once it makes the turn that is where it will be going. It will be pretty close to a due north movement once it's turned. Right now it's just a wait and see where the storm makes it turn. Ridge builds further west and the turn comes later, ridge recedes and the turn comes sooner.

--------------------
Check the Surf

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #24749 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:34 PM

I mirrored the jamaican radar to try to not overload them

http://images.flhurricane.com/images/jamaicaradar.jpg

It may not be updating any more.

I'd use that to pass around as it can handle a lot more load than their server.

Quote:

I found what we all will be looking for:

Jamaican Met Service
http://www.metservice.gov.jm/

Jamaican Radar
http://www.metservice.gov.jm/documents/cmax-240-4.gif

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: WV Loops [Re: Bev]
      #24750 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

If the course holds true and Venice through Tampa take a direct hit, it might be the $60 BILLION question. :-(

-Bev

You're exactly right. My husband is in construction here in Tampa and we were just talking about that. If the eye comes up the bay like they're forecasting now, we're in so much trouble. Frances caused a huge flooding problem and she was weak by the time she got here. Most of downtown is built to pre-Andrew codes, and all the electric is underground. During Charley they shut down the entire downtown power grid to avoid storm surge problems, although I'm not entirely sure that will completely alleviate the problem. I'm really frightened to think of what a hurricane this size can do to a major metropolitan area.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: WV Loops [Re: tenavilla]
      #24751 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:42 PM

Well, this is indeed a serious problem for the Bay area.
For many many years, we've had drills that focused on a hurricane coming in from the Gulf in through Tampa.
Now it seems that it is a very real possibility.

You're right, no one knows for sure the extent of the damage because there are so many many variables. What is certain is that it will be extensive.
I' don't like posts that use words that would cause people to panic. However, if the track is up the West coast of Florida, Poeple all along the track need to take this storm extremely seriously and make sure you are in a place of safety away from any possible storm surge.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: JAMAICA [Re: MikeC]
      #24752 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:47 PM

It seems the radar is not updating along with the forecast and warnings on the met page. I wonder if this is why? Meteorologists to strike as Ivan approaches.
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html...N_TO_STRIKE.asp

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: WV Loops [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #24753 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:50 PM

My husband just called from Lowe's here in Tampa. He said the lines for plywood were 5 people wide, and looped all the way around the entire store, plus some. The lines for generators were nearly that long, and they don't even have generators right now. They're expecting to get a shipment this morning, but it's not here yet.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
11 am IS OUT [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #24754 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:51 PM

Seems odd that track has been shifting right at night and left in the AM. Was the opposite for Francis.. Interesting..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
State of Emergency for Manatee County? [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #24755 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:53 PM

Just got this email from BayNews9 in Tampa Bay:

Quote:

Manatee County may declare a state of emergency due to Hurricane Ivan.

BN9 has details
Unsubscribe at BayNews9.com

That just got my heart racing a bit. Would they(Manatee County EOC) have been in on the NHC conference call with NWS out of Tampa/Ruskin? I can't imagine them doing it without a good reason. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that part of it.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
      #24756 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

It seems the radar is not updating along with the forecast and warnings on the met page. I wonder if this is why? Meteorologists to strike as Ivan approaches.

Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE! What can they possibly be thinking... they prove their worth during a Hurricane and should be rewarded accordingly. However, taking advantage of such a life-threatening storm to strike is akin to negligence and reckless endangerment.

-Bev

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: JAMAICA [Re: Bev]
      #24757 - Fri Sep 10 2004 02:59 PM

go to this web page, click on doppler, they have both short and long range views, last update I got was 9:15 am

you can see the center on the long range

http://www.metservice.gov.jm/

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Trying to keep my chin up [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24758 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:04 PM

Well, not much more prep I can do. Never undid any of the prep for Frances. Looks like Charley Part II to me right now. Only saving grace for me will be that I have DirecTV Sunday Ticket and have something else to watch if the tv goes into all hurricane all the time mode again. This hurricane season can not end fast enough for me.

I think if there is a little more consistency and tight grouping that appears to be starting in the models, the NHC will be shifting the path to the right at 5:00PM. Just wondering about timing myself right now. Hoping it does not slow down on forward motion too much. If the storm is going to come through, it might be better for it to zip on by then to drag on through.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: State of Emergency for Manatee County? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #24759 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:06 PM

Colleen, have you checked out the latest guess at the track?
It's the worse case scenario for all the west coast florida counties. A hurricane moving north just off the coast pounding wind and storm surge into the coast.

It might be better if the storm were inland .....

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Good News/Bad News [Re: Frank P]
      #24760 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:09 PM

There ain't much good news...but at least the lastest advisory has Ivan "only" as a CAT III at landfall. Bad news...just click on the NHC map to the left of this post. Look where they're calling for the landfall...right smack over and thru Tampa Bay. NHC has been pretty spot on so far with this one, so I think you west coasters better think about getting on I75 before it's a parking lot...

I still feel this will make landfall further south, hopefully at or near the intersection of the Everglades Parkway & I 75 (sorry Naples)...then up North across Okeechobee and out near the Space Coast. Wherever it landfalls, and it will be FLORIDA's West Coast, not the panhandle, it's not going to be good.

I pray for everyone in Ivan's path...at the very least, with two "Practice" runs, at least everyone should be able to secure life and property to the best extent possible.

Grenada is a total wasteland (anyone see the pix?) and I think Jamaica is next for a pounding, big time. Maybe the Jamaican's can work a little voodoo on Ivan??? Jah Mon.

Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Good News/Bad News [Re: LI Phil]
      #24761 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:12 PM

Nothing in the 11:00 that changes any assumption not already built into the forecast...just continue to watch that ridge...last look i had it was still building west and had touched SE Florida

--------------------
doug

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
      #24762 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:16 PM

Phi I agree with you on the path although my gut is more through the everglades impacting western portions of miami dade. Just gut, nothing scientific as i am not a met....

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Colleen A.

Reged:
Ivan [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #24763 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:20 PM

Well, it's gonna be close..whether inland or not. I don't know how big it is compared to Frances or Charley, but I'm still not comfortable with a track that close to us. It has not changed a whole lot in the last two days at all.
Also...did you notice how long it takes to get from the west coast to inland? Almost 24 hours. Yikes!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

RobNYJ
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Ivan Paths [Re: MikeC]
      #24764 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:22 PM

11am NHC has it going over Tampa, any indications that it will follow a path simpliar to Charley?

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #24765 - Fri Sep 10 2004 03:24 PM

Morning, Phil! That's the 5AM map..but they might as well just leave it up until 5pm.
If the storm makes landfall further south, we'll be in the ne quadrant of the storm.
No scenarios are looking like any fun right now.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center