F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
thanks for info on statement for keys/south florida [Re: Random Chaos]
      #54879 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:39 AM

Thank you. Been watching it tonight on a few loops. Read a few people.. boards, blogs, bastardi.. and appreciate the heads up.

Looks like by tomorrow morning there could be 3 systems...
td 17.. phillipe
td 18?
and system behind depression currently known as 17

good luck everyone, going to be a long few days

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: 96L [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #54880 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:40 AM

We have TS Phillipe and TD18 at 11:00.

AT 11 PM EDT...0300Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE BAHAMAS HAS ISSUED A
TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE TURKS AND CAICOS...AND FOR THE
SOUTHEAST AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS.

Local statements for South Florida have us all on edge. Too much like Katrina...

Bill

Edited by BillD (Sun Sep 18 2005 02:42 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: 96L [Re: SEFL]
      #54881 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:40 AM

No longer 96L...now TD18 according to NHC.

Ok...NHC is having problems with their listing. I think they are trying to figure out how to get everything posted or such...as they have TD18, TD17, and TS Philippe now...with Ophelia stuff appearing under parts of TD18...and Ophelia vanishing before she went extratropical.

And reload...TD18, TD17, and TD18. Er...??? - someone is having problems there

And reload...TD18, TS Philippe, and TD18...lets see how long it keeps up before someone at NHC calls tech support

Edited by Random Chaos (Sun Sep 18 2005 02:49 AM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Just like that.... [Re: Random Chaos]
      #54882 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:47 AM

Just like that.... Hurricane Watches just east of the South Florida coast. WOW!!!!!
How things change quickly.

At 11 PM EDT...the government of the Bahamas has issued a Hurricane Watch for the northwest Bahamas.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: 96L [Re: Random Chaos]
      #54883 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:48 AM

Quote:

No longer 96L...now TD18 according to NHC.

They have a few problems with the list - stuff under TD18 includes both Ophelia and TD18 right now...depending on the item. I wonder if maybe they only can support 5 systems on the website setup so they're retiring Ophelia from their page before it goes extratropical?

I noticed that too... but we had 3 named storms earlier in the season (Katrina, Lee, and Maria I think - at least). I suspect that Ophelia has been declared extratropical as of 11pm. The 11am advisory indicated that the transition was expected within 12 hours, didn't it?

Philippe is a definate fish spinner, thankfully. Hopefully it stays that way.

The odd thing about TD 18 is that the last IR imagery I looked at made it look very badly defined. But I've been unable to get IRL Monterey site to load most of today, and SSD has not moved a floater to it yet, or hadn't last time I checked. The forecast track is certainly more encouraging than I anticipated, but 5 days out it's hard to trust right now.

Maybe by tomorrow the NHC will have corrected their headings.

ETA: They initially issued the statements for TD 18 under the wrong heading... that has been fixed now, per the corrected advisory package at NHC. I guess they haven't sent out the latest package for Ophelia - probably discovered the mistake when they went to send it out LOL

ETA 2: Ophelia has officially been declared extratropical. The NHC has issued its final advisory, despite the fact that the Canadian Hurricane Center has maintained its watches and warnings for Nova Scotia and other locations. Landfall of Ophelia is expected overnight.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Sun Sep 18 2005 02:55 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Just like that.... [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #54884 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:49 AM

Quote:

Just like that.... Hurricane Watches just east of the South Florida coast. WOW!!!!!
How things change quickly.

At 11 PM EDT...the government of the Bahamas has issued a Hurricane Watch for the northwest Bahamas.

Yeah no kidding. Looks like the Sept. 10th peak to the hurricane season ended up being a week late!

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: 96L [Re: Hugh]
      #54885 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:54 AM

Quote:

I noticed that too... but we had 3 named storms earlier in the season (Katrina, Lee, and Maria I think - at least).

We also had Maria, Nate, and Ophelia at once.

Every few minutes the NHC page changes which ones are there...but if you click on 11pm stuff you can sort of figure out what we have:

TD17 -> TS Philippe
96L -> TD18

And the spare one is NHC calling their web developers asking "what am I doing wrong?"

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 96L [Re: Random Chaos]
      #54886 - Sun Sep 18 2005 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I noticed that too... but we had 3 named storms earlier in the season (Katrina, Lee, and Maria I think - at least).

We also had Maria, Nate, and Ophelia at once.

Every few minutes the NHC page changes which ones are there...but if you click on 11pm stuff you can sort of figure out what we have:

TD17 -> TS Philippe
96L -> TD18

And the spare one is NHC calling their web developers asking "what am I doing wrong?"

I thought the spare one was NHC calling their web developers asking "How do I get rid of this pest [Ophelia] that refuses to die even though it's COLD in Canada!??"

They have no graphics up for TD18 currently - at least not the last time I refreshed the page.. and I didn't see a discussion. What's the confidence level in the forecast?

I can just imagine the 10:30pm NHC Tropical Outlook:
"The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on recently upgraded Tropical Storm Philippe, near the Lesser Antilles, on newly formed Tropical Depression 18 east of the Bahamas, and has pushed Tropical Storm Ophelia off to the Canadian Hurricane Center because we don't have room for it anymore.

Oh, and if you're keeping track, we're issuing advisories on Hurricane Jova, Hurricane Kenneth, and Tropical Storm Lidia in the East Pacific, too. "

Six semi-tropical entities in the western hemisphere at one time. That's got to be a record.

--------------------
Hugh

Edited by Hugh (Sun Sep 18 2005 03:06 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: 96L [Re: Hugh]
      #54887 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:02 AM

It looks like they got it fixed...and Ophelia returned into the spare one.

I guess she just won't die

---

Since NRL still is down...here are the track graphics they use from a different military source:

http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/center/Tropical/wtnt01.gif
http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/center/Tropical/wtnt02.gif

(Homepage: http://www.nlmoc.navy.mil/home1.html )

---

Yeah, Hugh...6 storms...wow. 2 Hurricanes, 3 TS's, and 1 TD...in the western hemisphere. It's probably been quite lively down at the NHC today.

With TD18 and TS Philippe...we probably will get a new topic soon

Edited by Random Chaos (Sun Sep 18 2005 03:15 AM)

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
the rita contingency [Re: Hugh]
      #54888 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:12 AM

we have philippe active east of the islands, but progged to slowly move north/northwest towards the central atlantic. checks out well with the steering present. some of the globals aren't taking it much further west at all.. do expect some of that later in the period as the ridging becomes flatter and heights rise near the northeast u.s. coast. extended ensembles show ridging near the canadian maritimes, so philippe may be trapped under that or trying to get around it this time next week. right now bermuda looks like the likeliest destination, though.
different story for newly formed TD 18. kind of stupid that it got the upgrade looking like it does after philippe looking better and getting ignored through two advisory cycles. the system is only slowly organizing and i think the hurricane watch for the nw bahamas is probably uncalled for. timetable i had earlier was off from what looks to be the case now.. system should pass by south florida on tuesday. official shows a hurricane around then, and that makes sense. a stronger storm will be further north, a weaker one closer to or over cuba. the maximum potential problem for florida with this thing is nothing compared to what mexico and texas will be facing around september 23rd/24th. most of the globals have the track near the yucatan and into ne mexico, but just barely... the track hooks nw as the ridge erodes and takes the core of the storm nw as it closes in on the coast. mix that solution with the further north NHC track right now and you have a recurving hurricane hitting texas at the end of next week... a mature one that has crossed the gulf. of course thats 6-7 days out and not trustworthy at this point.. but i'd be getting my Rita contingency figured out and ready if i was on the texas coast this week.
wave nearing 40w has a very good signature. favor the southern end to try to do something (too much shear on the northern end). it's low-moderate potential at this point... probably not a threat to land if it can develop.
eastpac is going nuts. three active storms out there right now. if they keep developing, look for the atlantic to remain active. kenneth reaching major status is the first this season in that basin to do so. they've got quantity, but not quality. jova may get close enough to hawaii late next week to affect their weather. modest possibility, at least.
HF 0312z18september

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: the rita contingency [Re: HanKFranK]
      #54889 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:20 AM

New area NHC is watching for development -- from the 11PM TWO:

Quote:

AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER IS LOCATED ABOUT 700 MILES
WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. THIS SYSTEM HAS SOME
POTENTIAL FOR SLOW DEVELOPMENT AS IT MOVES WESTWARD TO
WEST-NORTHWESTWARD OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWOAT+shtml/180314.shtml

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Possibility [Re: HanKFranK]
      #54890 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:20 AM

Here is a possibility from the NHC as the system is over or near the Florida Keys.

The 18Z GFDL model rapidly intensifies the system into a 120-kt hurricane in 72 hours. While that rate of intensification may be a little excessive...this system reaching strong category 2 status within the next 72 hours is certainly a viable scenario.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #54891 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:29 AM

So, you think this thing could hit even the upper Texas coast or are we looking at only South Texas? Of course, it is still too early to
tell and right now it looks like it will be heading to Mexico. Of course, Katrina was supposed to make her second landfall
in the Panhandle and we know what happened there.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Just like that.... [Re: Hugh]
      #54892 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:44 AM

What I find that is amazing is you see the statement "All's quiet in the Atlantic." and then bam, here we go again.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: the rita contingency [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #54893 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:47 AM

Quote:

So, you think this thing could hit even the upper Texas coast or are we looking at only South Texas? Of course, it is still too early to
tell and right now it looks like it will be heading to Mexico. Of course, Katrina was supposed to make her second landfall
in the Panhandle and we know what happened there.

Definately too early to tell. Stay tuned

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
blob [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #54894 - Sun Sep 18 2005 03:53 AM

the Blob 700 miles wsw of the cape verde islands looks better then phillipe or TD 18 ide have to say.

Edited by Robert (Sun Sep 18 2005 03:55 AM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Worries me difference between models & advisories [Re: Random Chaos]
      #54896 - Sun Sep 18 2005 04:18 AM

Understand that it is only one model run.. or two but the models are showing a very well developed hurricane and the advisories are going for now.. with a strong tropical storm or maybe a hurricane.

Watched all local Miami channels and saw at least 3 different scenarios.

1 called it a probable hurricane or strong tropical storm as it moves over this area
2 called it a depression and most likely a tropical storm
3 one called it as going mostly through the keys as a tropical storm with a big question mark

I understand the need to wait to see models verify and it is only a depression just coming together on the most recent imagery.. but

Looking at models calling it a STRONG cane .. various wind speeds shown and a developing tropical storm on TV on your typical Sunday when people generally pay little attention to the news... worries me a lot.

At least they mentioned that during the Dolphin game there will be constant updates.. shows how serious they are already taking it even if they only have it as a ? on their maps.

Bobbi.. everyone take care and continue to give to the red cross or who ever you wish to give to..

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
      #54898 - Sun Sep 18 2005 04:51 AM

Quote:

we have philippe active east of the islands, but progged to slowly move north/northwest towards the central atlantic. checks out well with the steering present. some of the globals aren't taking it much further west at all.. do expect some of that later in the period as the ridging becomes flatter and heights rise near the northeast u.s. coast. extended ensembles show ridging near the canadian maritimes, so philippe may be trapped under that or trying to get around it this time next week. right now bermuda looks like the likeliest destination, though.

HF what you said about the northeast, could that have affect on the path possibly bringing it into the NE US..im not qure i completely understand.

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: the rita contingency [Re: Ryan]
      #54899 - Sun Sep 18 2005 05:14 AM

Since the recon found the system more to the sw of sat loc....I expect the impact will be from WPB south and mainly the keys. Probably TS force winds with hurricane conditions near the center. Wont be also as bullish with the system, probably 65-80mph until florida.

scottsvb

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: the rita contingency [Re: scottsvb]
      #54900 - Sun Sep 18 2005 05:38 AM

Wow Scott, not what I wanted to hear. We got hit here last year I think around that same time by Jeanne No maybe it was around the 23rd. Anyway I sure hope she skips by me Only time will tell.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40415

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center