F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

Archives 2010s >> 2010 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: 93L [Re: Beach]
      #87638 - Tue Jun 22 2010 04:05 PM

Is it my imagination, or does the latest visible satellite loops (Jun 22nd 15:15 UTC being the latest one) show multipule LLC vorticies forming within a cluster of persistent convection extending from 19N to 15N and 73W to 70W?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
weatherguy08
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Fla.
      #87639 - Tue Jun 22 2010 04:06 PM

Looking at the latest visible loop, seems like something could be get established around 16 N, 71 W. There's also deep convection firing around this "center" in the last frame. It will be interesting to see if some of this convection can wrap around the center. The lack of surface obs in the region isn't helping to establish if there is a surface circulation of any kind. I pretty much agree with what the others have said: we won't really know until reconnaissance gets out there tomorrow afternoon.

Visible loop: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/flash-vis.html
Infrared loop: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/flash-avn.html

--------------------
Jason
http://www.jasonsweathercenter.com
Andrew '92 - Lili '02 - Katrina '05 - Rita '05 - Humberto '07 - Gustav '08 - Ike '08 - Isaac '12 - Sandy '12

Chris 566
Unregistered

#87640 - Tue Jun 22 2010 04:15 PM

My ussue with the Forecast models right now is how far south they have been initialized. Proximity to Hispaniola will obviously inhibit development early on.... otherwise we should see the typical, realitively gradual, organization process.

Have a great day!
Take care...
Chris

hogrunr
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Spring, TX
Re: 93L [Re: Unregistered User]
      #87641 - Tue Jun 22 2010 04:28 PM

Agreed...based on what is starting to show up on the satellite images now, the models have almost all been initialized to far south, but going through the rest of today should start to get things ironed out, if in fact an LLC is trying to form.

That being said, because of 93L's position, I don't believe the interaction with Hispaniola will hinder the development so much, since this would require an almost due north turn. I believe the possibility of future interaction with Jamaica and/or Cuba will be a big determining factor in the possibility of future development.

All of the models are fluctuating based on their assumption that this will interact with land, either Cuba or the Yucatan, thus hindering development. So this is still a crap shoot as far as the models are concerned, they (almost) all started very strong on this, based on the system shooting the gap between Cuba and the Yucatan, and now have backed off due to their own predicted land interaction, so we will most likely just need to wait and see what direction this system takes before any valid prediction of intensity can be made.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: 93L [Re: hogrunr]
      #87642 - Tue Jun 22 2010 05:53 PM

As of 2pmest the NHC has lowered the chance of development to 20%.But it also states the over that next few days it could have a better chance of getting organized.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Edited by ftlaudbob (Tue Jun 22 2010 05:54 PM)

weatherguy08
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: 93L [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #87643 - Tue Jun 22 2010 06:08 PM

I'm a bit surprised the NHC went all the way down to 20%. There definitely seems to be a better circulation (maybe not low-level) than there was yesterday, wind shear remains low, and virtually all of the models except the GFS develop the system. I could have maybe seen 30% or 40%, but 20% seems quite low. I guess all things considered, it's just a number, but it looks reasonably organized, not enough for a depression obviously, but I would probably say there is a 40% chance of development during the next 48 hours.

--------------------
Jason
Andrew '92 - Lili '02 - Katrina '05 - Rita '05 - Humberto '07 - Gustav '08 - Ike '08 - Isaac '12 - Sandy '12

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: 93L [Re: weatherguy08]
      #87644 - Tue Jun 22 2010 06:43 PM

I've got to believe its the proximity to the DR/Haiti for the next couple of days that caused the back-off.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

SeaMule
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fairhope, Al...on the coast
      #87645 - Tue Jun 22 2010 06:46 PM

...can't remember a time when a developing system could get through the Carribean this time of year.

I know what my eyes are seeing...a developing wave. ...imho, it will be a named storm before it gets to the GOM

stormtiger
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Baton Rouge, La.
Re: 93L [Re: Ed in Va]
      #87646 - Tue Jun 22 2010 06:48 PM

Yes, the fact that the weather is closer to the DR, it's also closer to the subtrpical jet and thus the sheer.

Plus you have to remember, it is June and despite the high water temps, there has to be good reasons for storms not to form in the east and central carribean at this time of the year.

I see mid level vortex now, but it is quite a bit north of where the models were initiating a s depression yesterday. This has to change everything we've seen from the models.

If something does form, it is more likely it will be later than sooner; and weaker than strong.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: 93L [Re: stormtiger]
      #87647 - Tue Jun 22 2010 07:52 PM Attachment (141 downloads)

The only thing that I see different right now is the terrain of Hispaniola seems to be blocking some of the low and mid level shear.
Hispaniola Topography Map

Current static visible shot here, 1km Visible Goes East
Center near 19.6N/ 71.4W, or just south of the southern most point of Hispaniola. Cape Beata.
Static visible at time of this post in the above attachment.

Select a 6 image loop at medium zoom and you can identify a rather vigorous vortice just S to SSW of Cape Beata.

Edited by danielw (Tue Jun 22 2010 07:56 PM)

weatherguy08
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: 93L [Re: danielw]
      #87650 - Tue Jun 22 2010 08:31 PM

It appears that our system is farther north and east than the 18Z models have initialized it. This will have significant repercussions on the eventual track and intensity of the system since it will likely move closer to the islands. I'm beginning to lean a little more towards the models on the right (north and east) side of the model envelope. While they initialize a little too far south as well, the present motion of the system (northwest at about 15 mph) should take it right into the current forecast track of the HWRF and GFDL during the next 12 to 24 hours. Assuming development occurs, the Gulf Coast definitely needs to watch this.

--------------------
Jason

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
      #87651 - Tue Jun 22 2010 08:49 PM

after studying all available images today... appears to me that the mid level center is northeast of the surface broad area of circulation... i would point the surface area near 16N 75W....

Speed the loop up and look at the lower clouds...
http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/SATATL_FLOAT2/anim16vis.html

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

B_from_NC
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: 93L [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #87652 - Tue Jun 22 2010 09:26 PM

I concur. The poorly organized center of all those clouds certainly appears to be where the 18Z models suggest. The mid-level swirl which faked itself as center should wind down soon.

4km Floater

Other observations....
Overall system is quite large and might take a bit to wind up.
Gulf region should certianly have their kits ready in the event it makes it out of the graveyard.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 93L [Re: B_from_NC]
      #87653 - Wed Jun 23 2010 12:12 AM

after looking at 18Z data... a curve in the GOM is looking more likely to me... just when and where is way to far out to tell... the GFDL still is agressive with the system in GOM... 18Z GFDL is very concering... this path would be bad for the central gulf coast... including the Oil Spill area... a system coming north and on the west side of the oil spill would be devasting to the Gulf Coast....

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/gfdl/2010062218-invest93l/slp21.png

**Appears tonight that the broad area of circulation is begining to fire up storms near where i think we may have surface low form...tonight will be interesting to watch**

--------------------

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #87654 - Wed Jun 23 2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

after looking at 18Z data... a curve in the GOM is looking more likely to me... just when and where is way to far out to tell... the GFDL still is agressive with the system in GOM... 18Z GFDL is very concering... this path would be bad for the central gulf coast... including the Oil Spill area... a system coming north and on the west side of the oil spill would be devasting to the Gulf Coast....
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/gfdl/2010062218-invest93l/slp21.png
**Appears tonight that the broad area of circulation is begining to fire up storms near where i think we may have surface low form...tonight will be interesting to watch**

I agree, tonight will be interesting. The big question I'm not convinced about is whether it even develops at all. It's cycling back and forth between being on the verge of developing and on the verge of falling apart, which I guess is normal this time of year.

All of the 18Z data appears to point to an Opal-like track, going very near (possibly over) the Yucatan, before hooking toward the east-central Gulf Coast. Of course, the models could change once it gets its act together, but it definately looks like a POTENTIALLY devastating situation could arise.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: 93L [Re: Hugh]
      #87656 - Wed Jun 23 2010 01:59 AM

The model trend today is heading more north, possibly in the gulf. Although development, if it does, looks to be more Thursday/Friday. For future track, the Yucatan is holding as most likely, especially if the system stays weak longer, but the Gulf still needs to watch this system.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: 93L [Re: MikeC]
      #87657 - Wed Jun 23 2010 02:05 AM

Quote:

The model trend today is heading more north, possibly in the gulf. Although development, if it does, looks to be more Thursday/Friday. For future track, the Yucatan is holding as most likely, especially if the system stays weak longer, but the Gulf still needs to watch this system.

Is the recon still scheduled for tomorrow? It doesn't seem to be organized enough right now to justify recon, but that could change tomorrow. I don't quite understand what you mean.... model trend is heading more north, but the Yucatan is most likely?

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 93L [Re: Hugh]
      #87658 - Wed Jun 23 2010 02:10 AM

Yes.. Recon is still planned....

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, National Hurricane Center, MIAMI, FL.
1100 AM EDT TUE 22 JUNE 2010
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 23/1100Z TO 24/1100Z JUNE 2010
TCPOD NUMBER.....10-022

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. SUSPECT AREA (SOUTH OF JAMAICA)
FLIGHT ONE - TEAL 70
A. 23/1800Z
B. AFXXX 01AAA INVEST
C. 23/1330Z
D. 17.0N 77.5W
E. 23/1700Z TO 23/2100Z
F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

FLIGHT TWO - TEAL 71
A. 24/0600Z
B. AFXXX 0201A CYCLONE
C. 24/0100Z
D. 17.5N 79.5W
E. 24/0400Z TO 24/0830Z
F. SFC TO 10,000 FT

2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: CONTINUE 12 HRLY
FIXES IF SYSTEM REMAINS A THREAT.

--------------------

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #87659 - Wed Jun 23 2010 02:15 AM Attachment (222 downloads)

Its appears that TAFB/NHC thinking tonight is much more active on developing a system now... the 72hr surface plot puts a low off MX coast... with possible tropical cyclone development starting late tmrw., and an track into the GOM.

see attached

--------------------

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Satellite Caution [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #87660 - Wed Jun 23 2010 04:09 AM

Use caution with the satellite shots from www.ssd.noaa.gov.
For the last two nights they are nearly 4 hours behind. it's 0407Z and latest shots are 0015Z.

It appears they have made an adjustment. Sats are running less than one hour behind at 0740z. 3:40 EDT

Edited by danielw (Wed Jun 23 2010 07:41 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 42632

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center