F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
RobC

Reged:
Newly adjusted hurricane season numbers [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #20179 - Sat Aug 14 2004 11:31 PM

Hi. Newly registered user here who has followed Charlie the last few days through this forum. I'd first like to say that I'm amazed with the meteorological knowledge displayed on this web site. I'm an amateur hurricane tracker, and have learned quite a bit about the nitty-gritty physics of hurricanes just by reading posts here. Though I'm sure my words don't carry a lot of weight, I would just like to say what a good job posters have been doing here.

I would like to make a brief comment on Danielle and Earl. It seems to me to be quite rare for the the first five tropical depressions of a season to all develop into named storms. Furthermore, if Danielle and Earl do develop into hurricanes (as expected), isn't this also unusual that four of the five depressions have developed into hurricanes?

Finally, given that we are just now approaching the peak of the hurricane season, I am wondering if we might actually exceed the recent updated 2004 hurricane forecast of 7 hurricanes, 3 major. Is it possible to end up having 8-9 hurricanes with 4-5 being major (given that it is only mid-August)? I would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Plan o'the Day-Sunday [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #20182 - Sat Aug 14 2004 11:57 PM

WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI,FL.
1200 PM EDT SAT 14 AUGUST 2004
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 15/1100Z TO 16/1100Z AUG 2004
TCPOD NUMBER.....04-077

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. TROPICAL DEPRESSION FIVE
FLIGHT ONE FLIGHT TWO
A. 15/1200,1800Z A. 16/0000,0600Z
B. AFXXX 0105A CYCLONE B. AFXXX 0205A CYCLONE
C. 15/0930Z C. 15/2230Z
D. 12.9N 58.8W D. 14.2N 62.5W
E. 15/1100Z TO 15/1830Z E. 15/2300Z TO 16/0630Z
F. SFC TO 10,000 FT. F. SFC TO 10,000 FT.

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: CONTINUE 6-HRLY FIXES
WHILE SYSTEM REMAINS A THREAT. PROBABLE G-IV MISSION

Edited by danielw (Sat Aug 14 2004 11:59 PM)

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Newly adjusted hurricane season numbers [Re: RobC]
      #20183 - Sat Aug 14 2004 11:57 PM

It is possible, but not likely as these major hurricanes can exhaust the energy supplies by churning up the water and exposing cooler deeper waters to the surface. However, having said that, this Charley was such as fast mover she/he did not spend too much time in any one place, leaving miles of untapped heat energy in place. It is going to be an interesting season no matter what happens from now on. The Florida peninsula has still got several sides it could be approached from and of course that goes for all the coast lines exposed to the gulf or atlantic.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: news coverage [Re: LI Phil]
      #20184 - Sat Aug 14 2004 11:59 PM

It seems odd that the press is all over Punto Gorda and not too much out of Port Charlotte.
Any ideas why?

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Newly adjusted hurricane season numbers [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20185 - Sun Aug 15 2004 12:08 AM

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
205 PM EDT SAT 14 AUG 2004

...DISCUSSION...
THE GULF OF MEXICO...
THE UPPER-AIR PATTERN LOOKS MORE LIKE OCTOBER THAN AUGUST WITH A
DEEP TROUGH FROM THE MIDWEST INTO LOUISIANA AND THE NW GULF.
ALL-TIME COLD FOR AUGUST HAS OCCURRED IN PLACES OVER THE
SOUTHERN UNITED STATES....

TROPICAL ATLANTIC...
AFTER THE SECOND MAJOR HURRICANE OF THE YEAR.......THE EARLIEST
SECOND MAJOR HURRICANE SINCE 1955...A STRONG UPPER LEVEL HIGH
IS NEAR 21N41W OVER THE CENTRAL ATLC. MAJORITY OF THE TROPICAL
ATLC IS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF STRONG ELY FLOW AND LOW VALUES OF
VERTICAL SHEAR THOUGH THERE IS RELATIVELY DRY AIR IN THE
MID/UPPER LEVELS BETWEEN DANIELLE/TD 5. THE RIDGE SHOULD SHIFT
FARTHER SOUTH TO 18N/19N OVER THE NEXT TWO DAYS AS A TROUGH DIGS
AHEAD OF DANIELLE... POSSIBLY PROVIDING SHEAR BEYOND 36 HOURS

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: news coverage [Re: BabyCat]
      #20186 - Sun Aug 15 2004 12:22 AM

Out of Tampa its all over equally! Lot of damage all over the center of the state.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: news coverage [Re: 52255225]
      #20188 - Sun Aug 15 2004 12:36 AM

Earl appears to be making some people nervous already. I am reading about unseasonably cool temperatures around Lousianna.I was wondering about Charley. Could he have developed subtropical characteristics since the in-land damage was so narrow and so oddly patterned. For Instance, there were places in the path that were clobbered. Then other places that were for the most part unscathed. I may still be in aftermath shock but, something is bugging me about this hurricane season.

nevermind.. i was going to comment, but see that clark did a better job below. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sun Aug 15 2004 04:44 AM)

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: news coverage [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20189 - Sun Aug 15 2004 12:43 AM

I have to agree with you...my gut (which is rather large..lol) feeling tells me that this hurricane season is going to be one that will go down as one for the books, and not in a good way. I'm a little worried about Earl, if he strengthens to a C3 or 4 and takes a more westerly path into the gulf and heads toward Louisiana or Southern Alabama, we here in Atlanta will be bailing water for days. But then again it could be another Bonnie which dumped almost 2" of rain in an hour here in Atlanta...

Again my thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by Bonnie and Charley, and we'll see about next weekend...

Best wishes from the home of the NL East leading Atlanta Braves

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Edited by Jeffmidtown (Sun Aug 15 2004 12:44 AM)

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
      #20190 - Sun Aug 15 2004 12:44 AM

I would agree something is defintely different about this season. I think the NHC is noticing it too, to the point they are mentioning it in their discussions (see danielw's post).

But as far as Charley's path, I don't see it much different than Andrew. The energy of the storm was tight and compact around the center, just like Andrew. I rode out Andrew about a mile south of my house, and just in that mile, the damage difference was night and day, my place was virtually untouched, while a mile south all the trees were stripped of their leaves and/or flattened. And then go ten miles further south, and it was total devastation, go 20 miles south of that, and just a few tree limbs down.

I don't buy into Danielle recurving way east. I can't say why, but looking at the global models, I just don't see why it would. If someone with more knowledge in this can explain why, I'd love to hear it, because I am obviously missing something obvious.

Bill

Edited by BillD (Sun Aug 15 2004 12:54 AM)

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Danielle a hurricane????? [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #20191 - Sun Aug 15 2004 12:52 AM

The latest Dvorak numbers for Danielle are now 4.0/4.0, which would support a 65 knot hurricane. This will probably be upgraded at 11pm

--Lou

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #20192 - Sun Aug 15 2004 12:54 AM

I don't think so Guppie I think Charley was all Tropical.Earl looking better all the Time amazing that these storms are holding it together at 25mph.I'm looking fo player's next week guy's.When and where is the next front suppose to come.I see two ULL'S one at 70W and 30N and a small one(probably the one from Charley) at 88W and 22N(not moving much).It seems the fronts have been 7-10 days apart.It's far reaching really a guess if there is another one in the GOM I would speculate FL panhandle to mid Texas just a guess.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #20193 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:00 AM

GuppieGrouper - you listed the reasons why Charley was most certainly a tropical system and not subtropical or extratropical. One of the primary defining characteristics of a tropical cyclone is a tight, compact wind field with the strongest winds near the center in the eye. The damage from Charley is consistant with this, as you noted. Subtropical systems and particularly extratropical systems have their strongest winds well-removed from the center of circulation. The satellite signature & cyclone phase analyses from the models all confirm a tropical cyclone at it's strongest warm core when it made landfall.

BillD - the models are picking up on the remnants of both Charley and Bonnie merging together with the trough along the east coast and moving across the Atlantic to pick up Danielle. We've been joking that Charley and Bonnie will get together and become Charnie (coincidentally, there was a meteorologist a long time ago named Charney who worked in instability theory); now if Danielle joins the party, we've got Charnielle on our hands. But, it's likely that's what they are picking up on to recurve the system...we'll see in the next couple of days if that plays out.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: news coverage [Re: BillD]
      #20194 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:04 AM

I have to agree with BillD.Danielle stength maybe?That can cause a poleward drift from what's what discuused around the board.Phil or Dan might have some insight maybe the ridge breaks down later.I havn't learn yet how to read the MB maps and there effects.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: news coverage [Re: Clark]
      #20195 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:06 AM

Clark's the Man
Hey Clark isn't that when the talk about baronic comes in .I have only read alittle about it do not fully understand it all.

Edited by javlin (Sun Aug 15 2004 01:10 AM)

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #20196 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:08 AM

It was strange driving around North Orlando area today. Lots of people out in all the neighborhoods I drove through cleaning up tons and tons of downed trees and debris. Neighbors helping neighbors. Many streets not passable due to downed trees and power lines.
I too think that this is going to be an extremely active next couple of months in the tropics.
I know that I'm keeping my hurricane supplies handy.,

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: news coverage [Re: Clark]
      #20197 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:16 AM

Clark,

Thanks for the great explanations, and the whole Charnie, Charnielle thing cracked me up. But I'm still not convinced that the high will weaken enough that far east for Danielle to turn, of course the stronger she is (and she is definitely strenghtening) the more likely any weakness in the ridge will mean she turns.

Bill

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Earl and Danielle [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #20198 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:17 AM

More insterested in talking about Earl than Charley and didnt see the post but am more disgusted with the total stupidity of people who think only the East coast gets hurricanes and the anger should be at local officials who did not make it clear that any storm south of you should be watched and taken every precaution ... the fault for those communities lie with their mayors, police, emergency management.. news crews... miami stations were live from thursday night and everyone here watches to make sure there are no last minute surprises.. cannot imagine that every city south of Tampa didn't have tv and radio on.

Complain about public awareness or lack of education. Scare they you know what out of these people like some drivers ed class.. this is your house before..this is after..

Hurricanes are not remote controlled interactive video games run by the Hurricane Center.. as Mayfield said in EVERY interview with Miami reporters.. you always have to expect last minute surprises.

Anyway...want to read about Earl not Charley, media is 24/7 still on Charley and there will be more and more heartbreaking stories

But they needed happened because the reason we have less deaths now days is because of awareness..warnings.. knowlege..

Unlike 1926 and Galveston.

Imagine everyone from Mexico to Miami will keep their eyes on Earl. But hopefully they will keep watching in 2007 and 2009 and etc..

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Danielle a hurricane????? [Re: recmod]
      #20199 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:19 AM

The stronger Danielle becomes at this point the fishier she becomes.

I'd worry about Earl.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Danielle a hurricane????? [Re: LoisCane]
      #20200 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:27 AM

I'm already worried about Earl.

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Danielle a hurricane????? [Re: LoisCane]
      #20201 - Sun Aug 15 2004 01:42 AM

Thanks to Lou and Mike C for the photos on this and the last thread. Earl appears to be the next tropical event for someone in the US or Latin America. Funny thing is, 18WNONAME has a very similar track (though more sloped WNW than N followed by W curve) as Rananim which landfell a couple days prior to Charley and Bonnie. 18W doesn't appear to be headed toward Super Typhoon status but it is certainly heading south of Shanghai. There are also two other invests up for the WPAC including a TCFA on 94W.

Things will be interesting this week. I'll be out of pocket on Monday and Tuesday because I have to go to Lake Charles then Lafayette. We'll be hitting it hard in Lafayette at several of the better drinking establishments and most likely some of the better eating ones too. People talk about the food in New Orleans, and yeah, our stuff is good. But it's better in Lafayette. They are the original [tm]. I gotta go on some recon missions so I figured early in the week was better than later just in case there's any activity worth watching (and a shot at a day off next week). I don't know what Earl's going to do. It's way too early to call. Bastardi gave a west Gulf headsup earlier in the week. Still working on a couple of bloody marys the day after. I didn't have pickled okra (and wasn't using Tabasco), but the beans are spiced (even if they're a product of New Zealand). Heh. It still tastes good.

SOI's gone DEEP negative. A burst of westerlies should be making its way across the Pacific in due time and may heat up the water a bit more in the Central Pacific. That's a headsup for the Hawaiian Islands.

NAO is as deep as it's been in months and may have signaled this development phase (despite the lack of much MJO though I haven't researched it in the last week or so). NAO is forecast (as of Friday) back to neutral for tomorrow. Then there are differences in the model runs. We'll have to see. But if the NAO is driving or telegraphing multiple developments over it's next two tank phases, it might be something to look at every now and then.

NAO Values

NAO Ensemble Forecasts

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37536

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center