F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
New Wunderground Feature [Re: LI Phil]
      #28852 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:43 PM

BTW, did anyone check out the model forecast verification feature from wunderground?

Ivan

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: New Wunderground Feature [Re: LI Phil]
      #28853 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:44 PM

talk about right bias... geesh

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Brad
Unregistered

Recon re: jeanne [Re: Unregistered User]
      #28854 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:45 PM

Although no eye, looks like recon did find closed circulation - so it has survived, so far.

STORM CHASER
Unregistered

Re: Recon re: jeanne [Re: Brad]
      #28855 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:48 PM

Where did you find the recon data? Recent data.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Meanwhile [Re: Londovir]
      #28856 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:50 PM Attachment (230 downloads)

Ok, I have one question. Who was drinking when they ran some of those models? Give me a couple hours and I'll be in great shape to post my own that looks like that...lol.

And I don't think many of the models saw Jeanne getting smacked around like she has when they made their forecasts. In fact, most of the ones I saw had her skirting the coast of Hispaniola, losing some strength, but continuing to push on. Looks to me like she tracked too far south along the island and got whacked pretty good. Though on the latest sat loop you can see the circulation spinning out from under the t-storms. I've even attached a nice little picture.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Edited by AgentB (Fri Sep 17 2004 07:51 PM)

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Meanwhile [Re: Londovir]
      #28857 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:53 PM

I'd go with the 'Circle of Doom'. I do believe in the NHC track; I justify that because Hispaniola did not put Jeanne in her bottle; she is uncorked and well postured to regaining some strength- On to the Bahamas!

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
My .02 forecast [Re: Brad]
      #28858 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:59 PM

Well, I don't think that we should have to pay for forecasts either, but you also get what you pay for. I am by far not a meteorologist, but based on what I've observed this and past seasons and applying it to current storms, here's my forecast.

Ivan - I think Ivan will continue to dump incredible amounts of rain as he circles around to the right to almost a full 360 turn back into western Georgia. He will continue to die out as any sort of organized storm in the process.

Jeanne - I think she will make it off the coast of Hispaniola and begin to reform the circle of convection around the eye. As this strengthing occurs, she will speed up. I disagree with the NHC that the turn to the west will be so abrupt. I think it will be a wide arc with landfall around the same place as Frances with 50 mile margin of error either north or south, depending on how long Ivan hangs out in GA and how fast the high over Florida erodes.

Karl - as for Karl, I hope Nemo has some Advil, cuz Karl's gonna give them fishies a headache.

Going out on a limb here, but I also think we will see another organized system beginning by the middle of next week.

I'll share those crow recipes with you later tpratch :-).

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

Brad
Unregistered

Re: Recon re: jeanne [Re: STORM CHASER]
      #28859 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:01 PM

There are lots of places to find it - NHC site (nhc.noaa.gov, hit recon link at upper left) usually has the data pretty quickly. I've found net-waves.com/weather is often quicker and lists it more conveniently (i.e., a list of each observation you can read). Other sites have it, and some may be quicker or better, but with those 2 you should be able to find it pretty quickly.

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Jeanne again [Re: Brad]
      #28860 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:06 PM

The latest IR loop of Jeanne is interesting. It looks like there is convection multiplying exponentially on the north side of Hispaniola all the way to the west of the system. There also appeas to be a center of circulation within that area of high convection to the south of the island as well.

Any other thoughts?

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L

Brad
Unregistered

Jeanne again [Re: Brad]
      #28861 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:07 PM

Sorry to post yet again....now that recon has found a closed center, I'd be surprised if the NHC didn't keep Jeanne as at least a depression. But looking at the storm, I was wondering if she hadn't been classified earlier, whether the NHC would make her a depression now? The convection is pretty far removed from the LLC - I think it'd be a debatable call. I don't think there's any question but that for the sake of continuity, the NHC wouldn't downgrade now...but I do think it's a subjective call at this point.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Recon re: jeanne [Re: Brad]
      #28862 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:08 PM

I am going to come out and say this. I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen. I've never seen something that looks like it comes out of a random number generator like this situation. I think I will pretty much ignore all forecasts for 24 hours and then see what happens with a new slate.

--------------------
Jim

Brad
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne again [Re: Brad]
      #28864 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:09 PM

Kdubs and I chose same names for our posts...

LI Phil
User

Reged:
      #28865 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:12 PM

>>> I am going to come out and say this. I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen.

Forecaster Franklin at 5:00

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #28866 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Kdubs and I chose same names for our posts...

That's rather eerie, isn't it, Brad?

(Insert Twilight Zone music here). This hurricane season continues to weirden (my new word for the day) with each passing day.

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Recon re: jeanne [Re: Rasvar]
      #28867 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:18 PM

Quote:

I am going to come out and say this. I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen. I've never seen something that looks like it comes out of a random number generator like this situation. I think I will pretty much ignore all forecasts for 24 hours and then see what happens with a new slate.

If every meteorologist were completely honest, this is all they would be able to say for just about every storm. The only thing that seems to remain constant is that these storms that Africa so generously donates to the Atlantic ocean never seem to swing around and go back home. It's like a suicide mission - Kamikaze hurricanes.

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L

FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
TS Karl [Re: Kdubs]
      #28868 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:19 PM

Why is Karl's info over there
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Gaston? Just curious!

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay
Re: For You Crow Munchers [Re: tpratch]
      #28869 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:19 PM

Quote:

I guess all that remains is to post this. Anyone have any crow recipies handy - you know, just in case?

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

Enjoy!

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
PHIL.... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28870 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:20 PM

i was looking at your signature...... do you think you will have -2 or 3s

--------------------
15/10/5

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Jeanne again [Re: FlaRebel]
      #28871 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:21 PM

In keeping with the posting theme,

Jeanne again

She's got a long way to go to regain her convection, but she's a cyclops again...make it all go away please.

Should be a MOST interesting 5:00 discussion...anyone know who gets the "honors".? Gotta hope for Stacy because at least then we might have some semblance of an idea of where this whole thing is going...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: For You Crow Munchers [Re: DMFischer]
      #28872 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess all that remains is to post this. Anyone have any crow recipies handy - you know, just in case?

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.

Enjoy!

--------------------
15/10/5

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54066

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center