F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: OOPS [Re: Frank P]
      #49966 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:28 AM

Quote:

that's about the only thing I think I could forecast accurately , that it will have a second landfall somewhere..... not going out on a limb now am I... hehe

Well not unless you meant the second landfall would be Key West...and that's not even such an absurd limb to go out on, as she's still dropping south.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
new Topic [Re: Margie]
      #49968 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:34 AM

*nudge*
New topic ...

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
feet wet [Re: Margie]
      #49970 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:44 AM

well it's 1:30 AM and Katrina's eye is moving back offshore. the position is further SE than i'd expected.. it's right around cape sable. i don't think it will drop a great deal further sw... don't think it'll be too bad in the keys.
the structure indicates northeasterly shear and some subsidence entrainment on the north side. i'm thinking it'll be 12hr or so for the storm to work that completely out.... should slowly reintensify tomorrow, but get significantly stronger on saturday. there is a dry slot that has essentially broken down the northern eyewall.. until that rebuilds some it'll keep the storm nearly stable. one of the outer bands to the S and SE is also quite strong, which keeps the storm's energy from concentrating near the center. these things should work themselves out on friday. it should be a major hurricane by late saturday, and will likely landfall on the panhandle coast as one. don't think pensacola gets this one.. probably the PCB area or east of there, like clark and the consensus are saying. if Katrina does something odd like stall, the ultimate landfall point could end up being further east. the central panhandle east of PCB is sparsely populated save tallahassee inland. this would keep the amount of coastal destruction relatively low, though that's little comfort for central panhandle and big bend communities like apalachicola and port st. joe.
side note that 97L's structure and convective organization have transitioned and improved dramatically. if this doesn't get it classified, nothing will. wave to the east has perked up slightly.
HF 0544z26august

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: After a long Hiatus... [Re: wxman007]
      #49982 - Fri Aug 26 2005 05:39 AM

Quote:

I'm back...there has been a lot going on here professionally here at WJHG that has kept me from posting, but I am going to try to resume getting on here and seeing if I can add a little something to the already sterling discussions from the other mets on here.

Again, I apologize for my absence (not that I was missed much) and am glad to be home!

Jason, I think I speak for many here. You are always missed when you are not here and your expertise is missed as well. Clark and others have done a tremendous job during your absence and your resumed contribution will help expand our understanding of current and future weather events.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 42485

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center