F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: se wv loopy [Re: Steve H1]
      #49902 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:29 AM

http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200512_5day.html

Link to five day forecast path. Still very wide cone, covering most of northern florida.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
schmoo
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: se wv loopy [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49903 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:30 AM

Since people are talking about Elena, here's the track:
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1985/ELENA/track.gif
(purple = Cat 3)

eeeew..;i don't like elena
but looks like the panhandle is in sights again

sorry...shouldn't post without more informative info
won't do it again

Edited by schmoo (Fri Aug 26 2005 03:31 AM)

jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Bradenton, Fl
      #49904 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:30 AM

Was Elana the one that just meandered in the gulf for several days?

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: se wv loopy [Re: Ron Basso]
      #49905 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:30 AM

Sorry Ron I may have made an error putting in the url. You may need to copy and paste this.

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/uploads/post-491-1125025748.gif

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
After a long Hiatus... [Re: Ryan]
      #49906 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:32 AM

I'm back...there has been a lot going on here professionally here at WJHG that has kept me from posting, but I am going to try to resume getting on here and seeing if I can add a little something to the already sterling discussions from the other mets on here.

Again, I apologize for my absence (not that I was missed much) and am glad to be home!

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
      #49907 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:32 AM

WW@, the idea is that if Katrina moves out quick into the GOM off the SW Coast, it may get picked up and move back NE to Tampa then cut back across the state towards JAX. At least the right turn will happen, not a wide re-curve as the 18Z globals and 0z tropicals were showing. But its really all up in the air. Tomorrow MAY bring some clarity.

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged:
Loc: florida
Re: Hurricane Katrina Landfalls near the Dade/Broward County Line [Re: Clark]
      #49909 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:35 AM

What are the chances for this system to hook back to the NE if it slows down or if it gains speed.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: se wv loopy [Re: ralphfl]
      #49910 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:36 AM

You know part of that convection has stayed put over the east coast, and there is now a large area, around Homestead, with 10 in of rain storm totals.

Also...does it look like that strong SE band is starting to drop SW and a little away from the center, as the storm loses strength and organization, and the COC is starting to go a little more W?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Fri Aug 26 2005 03:43 AM)

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: After a long Hiatus... [Re: wxman007]
      #49911 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:37 AM

Quote:

I'm back...there has been a lot going on here professionally here at WJHG that has kept me from posting, but I am going to try to resume getting on here and seeing if I can add a little something to the already sterling discussions from the other mets on here.

Again, I apologize for my absence (not that I was missed much) and am glad to be home!

Will you add your thoughts to the post above who like a few other casters not mets but casters are thinking of a NE turn back to tampa.When i see 1 model out of 50 that even think anything near that.What are your thoughts.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #49912 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:37 AM

nice to have you back Jason... radar shows Katrina still moving off to the sw or wsw.... and getting close to the GOM... once in the GOM the NHC has it tracking due west for a short period.. this will be interesting to see if it indeed behaves as they predict.... for what I can tell on radar she could be in the GOM in a couple of hours at the earliest....

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kamx.shtml

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: se wv loopy [Re: Margie]
      #49913 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:38 AM

Quote:

You know part of that convection has stayed put over the east coast, and there is now a large area, around Homestead, with 10 of rain storm totals.

I'm seeing 1 or 2 pink pixels (12" rain totals) on this just landward of the coast. They are directly under the green of the Flood Warning. You might want to zoom to see them.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/amx_NTP_lp.shtml

Also, the eye is looking more ragged now. It is starting to fill in on the east side. If it holds out just a couple hours more it will still have a well defined eye moving into the gulf, but I'm not sure that will happen now.

Edited by Random Chaos (Fri Aug 26 2005 03:40 AM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #49914 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:38 AM

Welcome back, Jason!

I've posted the Thursday night update to my forecast in the Met blogs; also available on the front page below the main news item. It is largely an update of the Tuesday night forecast for intensity purposes and reflects a substantial shift upward in intensity at second landfall. I owe Jason some thanks for some collaboration earlier this evening -- unbeknownst to him, it helped my tennis game at the same time! -- and this is largely a reflection of his thinking as well (as far as I know).

This is going to be a long weekend, so stay tuned.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: se wv loopy [Re: scottsvb]
      #49915 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:39 AM

Yeah I thought that's where you were going with things...was kind of surprised she didn't get further south & I wonder if maybe more of a push east will happen now.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: After a long Hiatus... [Re: Frank P]
      #49916 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:39 AM

its now only 16 miles away from the GOM, and is moving at least 8 mph, perhaps as much as 10.... certainly no slowdown is yet apparent

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: se wv loopy *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: ralphfl]
      #49917 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:46 AM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: se wv loopy [Re: Colleen A.]
      #49920 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:52 AM

Here in Atlanta for the first time that I can remember, all 4 TV mets are giving decidedly different forecasts, with either a track through central GA after 2nd landfall, but the met from Fox 5 talked about a landfall somewhere close to Pensacola as close to a Cat 3. If that's the case, that would be eeirly reminicent to the track that Cindy took, fooling everyone and tracking to the west and hammering Atlanta with tornadoes and a bunch of rain. Right now, I just dont know where or who to trust and the business I'm in (limousine industry) is dependant upon Hatsfield Airport staying open....So any guidance would be greatly helpful.

Also, How unusual is it for a hurricane to actually maintain or even gain strength while it is over land?

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Edited by Jeffmidtown (Fri Aug 26 2005 03:59 AM)

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: se wv loopy [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #49925 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:56 AM

My best advice is wait & see...that's what we're all doing.

As far as maintaining strength inland...well Charley & Jeanne are prime examples from last year...not their original landfall strength but still hurricane status well inland.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
      #49927 - Fri Aug 26 2005 04:00 AM

Btw before i go to bed (and make many happy ) how is this storm in size compared to charlie and francis Dennis seems smaller to me.

Anyway ill read when i get back from the store.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: se wv loopy [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #49929 - Fri Aug 26 2005 04:05 AM

You know all that convection that formed S of the keys has already started to be pulled into the feeder bands the last couple hours. I guess that is what is keeping the E coast so wet. It is taking longer for that convection on the east to slide across the state than the COC, but when it is all into the GOM, maybe in another six hours, then Katrina will be cooking.

Sheesh, looks like in another hour, the center'll start to be offshore.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: After a long Hiatus... [Re: Clark]
      #49930 - Fri Aug 26 2005 04:06 AM

Clark, very nice informative blog on the future of Katrina. It looks like you're pretty consistent with the NHC. To me, the storm so far has been closely following the 18Z GFDL which this run overall is in line with your thoughts.

Being that the storm appears to be only a couple of hours from the GOM, and still at 70 mph, it seems likely that it will remain just below Hurricane strength & then have ample opportunity to start the development cycle again. It does look like some dry air has intruded into the north half of the storm, with very little rain from Alligator Alley northward, so perhaps its lost some steam. My main question is, I live on the Nature Coast about 50 miles north of St Pete - do u think there's much chance for Katrina to turn NE prior my latitude (28.5 N)?

--------------------
RJB

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44271

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center