F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #62555 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:14 PM

uh... trying to find a live cam at space center

so far found this

http://www.wesh.com/wxcam/1472278/detail.html

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RockledgeRick
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Loc: Space Coast, FL
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: leetdan]
      #62556 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:14 PM

That's the same storm cell that produced a tornado over Cocoa, FL around 9:45 PM. Channel 13 now on TV reporting confirmed tornado touchdown near Cocoa Village took the roof off of the El Charro Mexican Restaurant. No injuries.

--------------------
Been through Agnes, Erin, Irene, Dennis, Floyd, Charley, Frances, Jeanne, TS Fay, Matthew

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Israel
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: RockledgeRick]
      #62558 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:22 PM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

Is it just me, or is she heading a little east for the near term?

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

RedingtonBeachGuy

Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Wave Heights appraoching the West Coast [Re: RockledgeRick]
      #62559 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:23 PM

Some significant wave heights are quickly approaching the West Coast of Florida.

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/Gulf-of-Mexico/index.html

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #62560 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:30 PM

Quote:

If anything it is more NNE. It is probably just a wobble. Remember don't concentrate on just 1 frame concentrate on the big picture.

--------------------
Matt

Convergence
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland
Re: Wave Heights appraoching the West Coast [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #62561 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:30 PM

There are going to be some very nasty waves coming ashore with Wilma... not only is she going to be moving at least at the optimum cyclonic storm wave producing speed of around 20 knots at landfall, but she's accelerating, which means that the waves are going to be trapped under the storm and built up for a LONG time... which is called fetch-trapping. The beaches aren't going to look very nice after this one. I wouldn't be surprised to see 15m waves.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: RockledgeRick]
      #62562 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:30 PM

Y'know I've been mainly looking at wv and IR loops tonight, but I just took a quick look at the visual. It doesn't show the lack of solid organization like the others, just that things are a little 'fuzzy' but I'll say this...the overall cloud structure is, perhaps only coincidentally, very similar to the strong "buzzsaw" signature you can get with Cat 4. All this hurricane has to do is just get that core organized, which is occuring painfully slowly, and I bet she'll spin up quick. Of course that could fail to happen before she runs out of ocean real estate.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Geoff
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa, FL
Naples Information [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #62563 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:31 PM

We just came back from dinner with friends from Naples who had to evacuate and are staying up here in Tampa. After the storm goes through, does anyone have any suggestions on the best place for them to get comprehensive post storm information, damage information, road information, etc. Is Collier EOC the best place to start?

As an aside, they mentioned there is one of those temporary pumpkin patches near their house where someone is selling pumpkins; they said that whoever was running it just abandoned it and left all those potential 20+ pound projectiles sitting out in the open...just crazy. When I was a kid part of our pre-storm ritual was to cut the coconuts out of the tree...but we never had to worry about pumpkins!

3rdGenFlaNative

Loc: Polk County, FL
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #62564 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:31 PM

OMG you guys! I am really starting to freak out here in Lakeland! I was here last year for all three hurricanes and was never this scared! What is really alarming is that the very people who normally seem (IMHO as a previously quiet lurker) like the voices of reason seem EXTREMELY concerned with what appears to be developing.

I have taken every recommended precaution, and have the whole family in the safest room with mattresses, but am still hesitant about freaking the kids out - they just got settled for the night, and I'd love for them to be able to sleep through the worst of things (I know I sure won't!). But I am seriously considering telling them what's going on, after what Danielw said. Polk county seems to be a hot spot right now, and I have a feeling this may be unlike any storm - of any kind - that I've ever experienced.

Thanks for all the crucial support you guys are providing! I don't have cable, and the info I am receiving here is invaluable. Best of luck to everyone and please stay safe!

--------------------
28.0 N 81.9 W
Inland Tropical Storm Warning
Tornado Watch

Began my entrance into this world during Hurricane Dora, 1964 - Have since experienced effects from: David ('79) - Irene ('99) - Charley, Frances, and Jeanne ('04)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Wave Heights appraoching the West Coast [Re: Convergence]
      #62565 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:32 PM

THE NWS HAS ISSUED A FLOOD WARNING UNTIL 11:14AM EDT
Issue Time: 10:28PM EDT, Sunday Oct 23, 2005
Valid Until: 11:14AM EDT, Monday Oct 24, 2005
Back to summary

Flood Warning National Weather Service Tampa Bay Area - Ruskin FL 1026 PM EDT Sun Oct 23 2005

A River Flood Warning Has Been Issued For... The Little Manatee River At Wimauma, The Manatee River At Myakka Head, And The Peace River At Arcadia.

Hurricane Wilma Is Forecast To Gradually Accelerate While Moving Northeast Toward Southwest Florida Overnight. Wilma Will Race Across The Florida Peninsula Early On Monday. Heavy Rains Fell Over Portions Of West Central And Central Florida Sunday Night, And Additional Heavy Rains Of 2 To 4 Inches Will Be Possible Again On Monday. Residents With Intrest Along Rivers In West Central And Southwest Florida, Should Closely Monitor For Additional Updates And Forecasts.

For The Little Manatee River At Wimauma, The Latest Stage Is 2.9 Feet At 10 PM Sunday. Minor Flooding Is Forecast, With A Maximum Stage Of 12.5 Feet Around 8 AM Tuesday, Which Is 1.5 Feet Above Flood Stage. The Stage Will Rise Above The Flood Stage Of 11 Feet Around 01 AM Tuesday. The Stage Will Fall Below Flood Stage Around 7 AM Wednesday. This Compares To A Previous Crest Of 12.5 Feet On Aug 29 1981. At 13 Feet, The Canoe Rental Area Floods. At 11 Feet, The River Overflows Its Banks.

For The Manatee River At Myakka Head, The Latest Stage Is 3.2 Feet At 10 PM Sunday. Minor Flooding Is Forecast, With A Maximum Stage Of 13.4 Feet Around 8 PM Monday, Which Is 2.4 Feet Above Flood Stage. The Stage Will Rise Above The Flood Stage Of 11 Feet Around 12 PM Monday. The Stage Will Fall Below Flood Stage Around 9 AM Tuesday. This Compares To A Previous Crest Of 13.4 Feet On Aug 24 1979. At 11 Feet, Private Road And Bridge 1 Mile Downstream Flood. Agricultural, Rural Kibler Area Begins To Flood.

For The Peace River At Arcadia, The Latest Stage Is 3.8 Feet At 9 PM Sunday. Minor Flooding Is Forecast, With A Maximum Stage Of 11.3 Feet Around 2 PM Thursday, Which Is 0.3 Feet Above Flood Stage. The Stage Will Rise Above The Flood Stage Of 11 Feet Around 5 PM Wednesday. This Compares To A Previous Crest Of 11.3 Feet On Mar 29 1970. At 12 Feet, The Girl Scout Camp Floods. At 11 Feet, Access Roads To River Acres Become Flooded. At 10 Feet, 3 To 4 Homes In The River Acres Subdivision Flood And The Lowest Portion Of The Girl Scout Camp Floods.

Do Not Drive Cars Through Flooded Areas...

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

bposner

Loc: Sunrise Florida
Re: Naples Information [Re: Geoff]
      #62566 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:33 PM

off topic
Not a weather person, but have been reading all your posts for the last week, I'm in Sunrise Florida, just wanted to thank you all for great info.

Edit: Glad to see you post one! Thanks for the kudos.. I'm sure all the Mets and Met wannabe's thank you.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Sun Oct 23 2005 10:36 PM)

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Israel
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: chase 22]
      #62567 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If anything it is more NNE. It is probably just a wobble. Remember don't concentrate on just 1 frame concentrate on the big picture.

Yeah, but also, NBC 2 on the west coast of Florida is also confirming a possible ENE track.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

RedingtonBeachGuy

Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: 3rdGenFlaNative]
      #62568 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:34 PM

Considering the storm is well south of you, I think you'll be ok.

It is good you haven't taken anything for granted but I'm not so sure it will be as bad in Polk County as you are envisioning right now.

Stay safe!

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Wave Heights appraoching the West Coast [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #62569 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:35 PM

Sorry to sound ignorant, but is that red blob (implying 40 ft heights) only peak-to-trough waves or is that the storm surge (which is obviously not 40 ft but could be 10 to 15 ft with 25-30 ft waves on top)?

Edit - Not quite sure as I am not a Met. However, the data is there for us to assume something is seeing 40' wave heights.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Sun Oct 23 2005 10:37 PM)

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #62570 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:36 PM

It is becoming more apparant that this storm is going to much stronger upon landfall than what anyone had predicted...CNN's freaking out..dopes.

The weird thing is this: when they show the faster loops, it looks like it is going to hit Naples in 2 hours. However, when you look at the Key West radar, it almost looks like it's going more north than east. Is that because they play slower loops out of the Key West area than they do the other loops? It's kind of deceiving.

The, uh, mets on CNN seem a little....dazed.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: 3rdGenFlaNative]
      #62571 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:41 PM

Quote:

OMG you guys! I am really starting to freak out here in Lakeland! I was here last year for all three hurricanes and was never this scared! What is really alarming is that the very people who normally seem (IMHO as a previously quiet lurker) like the voices of reason seem EXTREMELY concerned with what appears to be developing.

I have taken every recommended precaution, and have the whole family in the safest room with mattresses, but am still hesitant about freaking the kids out - they just got settled for the night, and I'd love for them to be able to sleep through the worst of things (I know I sure won't!). But I am seriously considering telling them what's going on, after what Danielw said. Polk county seems to be a hot spot right now, and I have a feeling this may be unlike any storm - of any kind - that I've ever experienced.

Thanks for all the crucial support you guys are providing! I don't have cable, and the info I am receiving here is invaluable. Best of luck to everyone and please stay safe!

Conditions should not be too bad with the hurricane itself (probably not anything worse than tropical storm conditions) where you are... the main threat is probably tonight with isolated tornadoes around in the outer bands. Just make sure to stay abreast of any tornado warnings on your local media. It also wouldn't hurt to have a battery-operated radio in case power goes out. Keep in mind that tornadoes are inherently rare phenomena and generally affect only a small area, so try not to worry too much.

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Sun Oct 23 2005 10:42 PM)

Geoff
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Tampa, FL
Naples Information [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #62572 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:41 PM

We just came back from dinner with friends from Naples who had to evacuate and are staying up here in Tampa. After the storm goes through, does anyone have any suggestions on the best place for them to get comprehensive post storm information, damage information, road information, etc. Is Collier EOC the best place, or is there a better source? [Feel free to PM me]

As an aside, they mentioned there is one of those temporary pumpkin patches near their house where someone is selling pumpkins; they said that whoever was running it just abandoned it and left all those potential 20+ pound projectiles sitting out in the open...just crazy. When I was a kid part of our pre-storm ritual was to cut the coconuts out of the tree...but we never had to worry about pumpkins!

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Wave Heights appraoching the West Coast [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #62573 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:42 PM

HURRICANE Wilma ADVISORY NUMBER 35
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM EDT SUN OCT 23 2005
...WILMA STRENGTHENS INTO A MAJOR CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE...

REPEATING THE 11 PM EDT POSITION...24.4 N... 83.7 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHEAST NEAR 18 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...115 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 958 MB.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Sun Oct 23 2005 10:43 PM)

RedingtonBeachGuy

11 PM is out - Wilma is a Cat 3 [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #62574 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:43 PM

HURRICANE Wilma ADVISORY NUMBER 35
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM EDT SUN OCT 23 2005

...WILMA STRENGTHENS INTO A MAJOR CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE...
...TROPICAL STORM-FORCE WINDS LASHING THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS
AND WESTERN CUBA...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF THE FLORIDA
KEYS... INCLUDING THE DRY TORTUGAS AND FLORIDA BAY...ALONG THE
FLORIDA WEST COAST FROM LONGBOAT KEY SOUTHWARD... AND ALONG THE
FLORIDA EAST COAST FROM TITUSVILLE SOUTHWARD... INCLUDING LAKE
OKEECHOBEE.

AT 11 PM EDT...0300Z... THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING ALONG THE FLORIDA
EAST COAST HAS BEEN EXTENDED NORTHWARD TO ST. AUGUSTINE. A TROPICAL
STORM WARNING IS NOW IN EFFECT ALONG THE FLORIDA WEST COAST NORTH
OF LONGBOAT KEY TO STEINHATCHEE RIVER...AND ALONG THE FLORIDA EAST
COAST NORTH OF TITUSVILLE TO ST. AUGUSTINE.

WILMA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST NEAR 18 MPH...30 KM/HR. A
CONTINUED NORTHEASTWARD MOTION... WITH A GRADUAL INCREASE IN FORWARD
SPEED... IS EXPECTED TONIGHT AND MONDAY. ON THIS TRACK...THE CENTER
OF Wilma IS FORECAST TO MAKE LANDFALL ALONG THE SOUTHWESTERN COAST
OF THE FLORIDA PENINSULA EARLY MONDAY MORNING. HOWEVER... Wilma IS
A LARGE HURRICANE AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS WILL REACH THE
FLORIDA PENINSULA WELL BEFORE THE EYE MAKES LANDFALL. THE EASTERN
PORTION OF THE EYEWALL... ACCOMPANIED BY THE STRONGEST WINDS...
WILL REACH THE SOUTHWESTERN COAST OF FLORIDA ABOUT 2 HOURS BEFORE
THE CENTER OF THE LARGE EYE MAKES LANDFALL.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 115 MPH...185 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. Wilma IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. LITTLE CHANGE IN STRENGTH IS EXPECTED UNTIL LANDFALL OCCURS
...AND Wilma WILL LIKELY MAKE LANDFALL AS A CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE.
SOME SLOW WEAKENING IS FORECAST AS Wilma CROSSES THE SOUTHERN
FLORIDA PENINSULA... BUT THE HURRICANE IS FORECAST TO STILL BE A
SIGNIFICANT CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE BY THE TIME THE CENTER REACHES
THE FLORIDA EAST COAST EARLY MONDAY AFTERNOON.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 230 MILES...370 KM. SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM-FORCE WINDS ARE
OCCURRING OVER THE YUCATAN CHANNEL... WESTERN CUBA... AND THE LOWER
AND MIDDLE FLORIDA KEYS. THESE WINDS SHOULD REACH THE SOUTHWESTERN
FLORIDA COAST BY MIDNIGHT... WITH HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS REACHING
THE LOWER KEYS AND SOUTHWESTERN FLORIDA COAST BEFORE SUNRISE

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: 114 Knots at Flight Level! [Re: Colleen A.]
      #62575 - Sun Oct 23 2005 10:44 PM

Yeah...these guys at CNN...nothing like selling a story (wonder what they are charging for advertising while this is going on). Its gonna be a long night for you guys in SW FL..
These dopes at CNN are reporting storm surge already in Key West...cant possibly be there yet

Edit - hmm, you better look at this data - looks to me like there is a significant surge occuring:

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/Gulf-of-Mexico/index.html

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Sun Oct 23 2005 10:46 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 362 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 121461

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center