Edski
(Verified CFHC User)
Fri Aug 26 2011 06:53 PM
Re: Irene Forecast Lounge

SW quad of this storm has been challenged from the start it seems. What I've seen today, mainly based on the IR loop, is dry air enrtraining in.

Glad I missed it here in Tampa, and I understand a lot of folks getting hit with this are not too experienced dealing with these types of storms, but it does seem the hype machine is in overdrive. "Historic storm"? How? It's a hurricane strafing the east coast. It hasn't happened in a while, but it's certainly not unprecedented.

It does have a large wind field, and as Ed Dunham has mentioned on the main news thread that can lead to a serious surge, and that there are many more tall buildings in the NE. So taking this seriously is warranted. But calling it "historic"? I'm not sure I can agree with that.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center