berrywr
(Weather Analyst)
Tue Sep 01 2009 06:35 PM
Re: HPC - Carribbean Forecast Discussion

Ed's right. I've been looking at the Visible Imagery over the last few hours and there is a closed LLC right on the western edge of convection. If you draw streamers, it's elongated but there. I'm fine with NHC pulling the trigger on Erika. I can't remember the last time a depression was called looking like this, but they had to have debated about this, but adhering to the strict definition it's at least a depression, so I'm cool with it. I found some Navy forecast wind shear data and the US is closed for tropical weather for at least the next 4 to 5 days. This is a tough call one way or the other. Who knows they could go back out there and not find a center and then what, post Gale force warnings, not Tropical Storm watches; what's the difference to someone who knows the wind is blowing rather stiff?

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center