CoconutCandy
(User)
Mon Nov 09 2009 04:03 PM
Tracking Ida's Inner Core: Doppler Radar Comprehension vs. Overlays

Interesting you should also post the long-range doppler radar link from Mobile depicting Ida's circulation as she makes her final approach towards landfall in a few hours.

I prefer my 'version' however, because I turn off (uncheck) all the overlays *except* "Radar" and "Counties", (especially important to turn off that darn pesky "Topo" layer!) to cut down on the visual 'background noise'. And it really allows you to focus on just the radar reflectivities. Click "rock" for a back-and-forth 'swing' effect and speed it up just a tad and you're set to go!

Just wanted to share this with everyone, if you're not already aware of the 'options' you have. I think folks will find it much easier to 'cogitate' what's really going on and more easily interpret convective trends of intensity and motion. Something about that back-and forth motion that really seems to make it more comprehensible. Good stuff to know about, in case ya didn't.

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center