F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Pages: 1
HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Google Earth
      #48263 - Fri Aug 19 2005 02:12 AM

if you haven't taken a look yet, go to www.earth.google.com
takes a modest sized download and you can use the limited service for free.
google has added a new dimension to the web search engine, this one geographic. as i've had it explained, the digital imagery is being streamed via a new torrent-type format that helps it load lightning fast. i'm still working on how to use the features.. spent a lot of time just wowed by how much imagery could be accessed. found old houses i've lived in, found the pyramids at giza, found a little german town i used to live in, the coliseum in rome, ground zero in nyc... they've even got 3-d models of the buildings in nyc so you can view the skyline. if they start rendering the terrain on elevation models and get the meter-resolution type hi-res for more of the country.. well, i'll never stop looking at it.
this is a hell of a technological breakthrough.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Google Earth [Re: HanKFranK]
      #48265 - Fri Aug 19 2005 02:19 AM

Try checking the terrain check box and go over to the Grand Canyon, then turn the elevation angle down almost to level with the ground. The way the terrain features look is pretty cool. Even the slight rises here in Tallahassee are noticeable, with the Capitol Bldg. on the highest hill in downtown -- as it actually is here.

They've got the buildings for about 30 cities in total; Denver is another, as is Atlanta. It's got a few mileage checking features in it -- I use that myself to mark the distance between two points on a hill and then hover over both of them to see the difference in terrain, as I like to bike up a lot of hills here in town. There are a few that are up over 10%...one in particular that's 13% or so for 1/4 mile -- that's steep. There's a lot more to it...try going to Washington DC and go into the feature box at the lower left and have it show rail/transit lines -- your own free map of the metro system. The restaurant listing is huge in this, better than I've seen with even the for-pay programs. It's even got some high-res photos of places in other nations...Bermuda looks nice, as does Sydney.

All in all, well worth the time and download. I've been using it for a couple of months now on my laptop...easily can kill two hours with that thing.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #48270 - Fri Aug 19 2005 02:34 AM

Truly is one of the most amazing pieces of technology ever. I've loved messing with it. (and the add ons are great too).

Also easy to calculate bird's eye distance w.

dem05
User

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
      #48274 - Fri Aug 19 2005 02:51 AM

How do they do this for free? Amazing!

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Port Richey, Fl
      #48290 - Fri Aug 19 2005 11:09 AM

Ohhhhhhhh I love it! This will be fun. Just had a few minutes to mess with it - but I think I could spend hours!
Thank you so much.

Have you ever played with Terraserver? Not as neat as google - but it's fun to "see" places you have been.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

Dotty

Jax Chris
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville Beach, FL
      #48291 - Fri Aug 19 2005 11:56 AM

In a similar vein, try pointing your browser to http://moon.google.com/. For proof of a certain theory, try zooming in all the way...

Jax Chris

native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Google Earth [Re: Jax Chris]
      #48324 - Fri Aug 19 2005 04:14 PM

Unbelievable! I literally went right into my backyard! Amazing, absolutely amazing. I know what I'm doing with my down time! Thanks!

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Google Earth [Re: native]
      #48328 - Fri Aug 19 2005 04:35 PM

I could only get a fuzzy pic...what am I doing wrong?

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Google Earth [Re: Ed in Va]
      #48330 - Fri Aug 19 2005 04:47 PM

Did another search, which was much better.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Google Earth [Re: Ed in Va]
      #48870 - Wed Aug 24 2005 01:07 AM

Yeah, it's fun. Been using it since the day it came out.

Now on another note, have you tried Google Moon?

http://moon.google.com

Make sure you zoom all the way in! I realize JAX said the above, but now comes an even better twist!

If you're interested in off-planet employment (and a great joke), click on "More about Google Moon" and then "Lunar Hosting and Research Center" in the text. Make sure you read everything there!

Edited by Random Chaos (Wed Aug 24 2005 01:08 AM)

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Hampshire
      #60615 - Fri Oct 21 2005 02:04 PM

I wrote a little program last night that grabs the latest vortex data message and plots the point in google earth. It's a netlink so it should update within 10 minutes or so anytime http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAREPNT2.shtml changes. Data before today is incomplete, but it *should* pickup all the messages from here on out.
http://bobbutts.mine.nu/vortex/netlink.kml

Also anyone who doesn't have it should check out this:
http://www.paulseabury.com/tropModels.kmz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6801

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center