F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 251 (Idalia) , Major: 251 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 251 (Idalia) Major: 251 (Idalia)

Archives 2020s >> 2023 Forecast Lounge

Pages: 1
CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
Atlantic Wave (Invest 95L)
      #114603 - Wed Jul 19 2023 08:58 PM

12z GFS shows a weak system crossing through the Caribbean. GFS ensembles are not as enthusiastic about it as earlier runs.
12z CMC shows an organized wave/system for the first time with this wave, and gets it into the Caribbean.
12z Icon keeps it weak, but gets the system north of the Caribbean
12z euro keeps it weak through the Caribbean
12z Euro Ensembles are more spread out, several develop it into a hurricane (especially if the system stays north of the Caribbean)

20% chance of development seems good. Worth watching for the trends in the models and if things persist or not. GFS has been swinging wildly between north and Caribbean tracks.

Edited by MikeC (Fri Jul 21 2023 12:30 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Atlantic Wave (Invest 95L) [Re: CFHC]
      #114604 - Fri Jul 21 2023 12:33 PM

Track models for Euro ensembles take this into the Caribbean.

Now that it's an invest several Intensity models are bringing it to hurricane strength, that combined with the relatively small storm size means the globals may not handle it well. The rule of thumb where a stronger storm moves a bit morth north may apply here. If the small size manages to keep itself inside a "protective pouch" around the dryer air (Which appears to be occuring) things could change as far as future track, so it should be watched particularly those in the Eastern Caribbean.

The globals are mixed the HWRF/HMON shows a strong TS or low end hurricane approaching the islands Tuesday. GFS/CMC/Euro Globals take it into the Caribbean where it falls apart, but don't seem to be picking up much on the small size. I'd be cautious using models with this system until something actually develops.

IsoFlame
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Re: Atlantic Wave (Invest 95L) [Re: MikeC]
      #114605 - Fri Jul 21 2023 07:08 PM

Latest GFS run gives 95L a bit more attention before it enters the Caribbean where it fizzles out as it tracks due west. I don't agree with GFS run that builds a 1034mb ridge driving the system into the Caribbean- haven't seen the ridge that strong yet this season. If 95L stays consolidated and can find and stay in a favorable pocket of moisture with low shear and the Atlantic ridge doesn't strengthen enough to continue driving it west, we need to pay attention. A late July hurricane gradually re-curving WNW would not be a surprise to me given the Atlantic basin water temps.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

Edited by IsoFlame (Fri Jul 21 2023 07:09 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1100

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center