F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Question on "97L" [Re: Unregistered User]
      #16567 - Thu Jul 22 2004 07:09 PM

Since NRL has taken 97L down, if the remnant low that was once 97L somehow, magically fires up in the GOM in a day or so, would that still be considered 97L, or would it be assigned a new invest #? I think this question was asked and answered a year or two ago on these boards, but I've forgotten the answer.

Also, I've PMed Mike C. about starting a new thread. Anyone have any thoughts on what to call it?

BTW Sea Turtles have an intimate knowledge of tropical storm surge. They're experts. Almost as good at predicting the tropics as Ribbit. I mean Rabbit.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Re: Question on "97L" [Re: LI Phil]
      #16568 - Thu Jul 22 2004 07:23 PM

Circualtion center at 29.8 72.8 looks like the mass north of hispanola is taking over be interesting to see if the models from this past weekend were right in having a storm off the carolinas this weekend.

bobbi
Unregistered

thoughts on what to call it... [Re: LI Phil]
      #16569 - Thu Jul 22 2004 07:25 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzsnoreZZZZZZZZZZZzz

Calm Before the Storm

Someone stole my storm

Where oh where can our little storm be?

Two free passes to the Neil Frank Home for the Tropically Insane

Feng Shui for Tropical Trackers

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Re: thoughts on what to call it... [Re: bobbi]
      #16570 - Thu Jul 22 2004 07:34 PM

Tropical Trickle

bobbi
Unregistered

29.98 72.8 [Re: summercyclone]
      #16571 - Thu Jul 22 2004 07:37 PM

I've looked there, a few times and wondered "what if" but honestly..think the area has so many shearing winds and has not settled yet into a pattern that it is basically moisture caught in the flow and between boundaries.

unstable yes..but dont think its stable enough to get anything really going

thanks for cords

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: IWIC afternoon discussion [Re: Rob_M]
      #16572 - Thu Jul 22 2004 07:46 PM

You mentioned the Intertropical Convergence Zone. Notice that the strong northward movement is not usually seen during the progression of the ITCZ, but instead reflects more on its retreat later in the year (normally around September - October). What could this mean?

Steve hirsch.
Unregistered

Re: Question on "97L" [Re: Robert]
      #16573 - Thu Jul 22 2004 08:13 PM

From the Melb AFD WX PATTERN REMAINS ON TRACK FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A CUTOFF LOW ALONG THE MID ATLC COAST BY 12Z SAT. STRONG H25 JET BRANCH OVER THE UPPER MID WEST WILL PUSH EAST INTO NEW ENGLAND. THIS JET WILL TIGHTEN THE WIND/PRESSURE FIELD ON THE WEST SIDE OF A HI AMPLITUDE
H50-H25 TROF JUST OFF THE ERN SEABOARD. THE RESULTING INCREASE IN UPR LVL DIVERGENCE OVER THE EAST COAST WILL SPIN UP A WEAK CLOSED
LOW OUT OF A THE SRN EXTENSION OF A DEPARTINGSTORM SYSTEM OVER ERN
CANADA AND THE GREAT LAKES.

THE NEW LOW IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN TRAPPED OVER THE SE U.S. THROUGH THE WEEKEND. THE ATLC RIDGE WILL BLOCK THE LOW FROM MOVING E...
WHILE A STRONG CONTINENTAL RIDGE OVER WRN CANADA WILL PUSH ACROSS THE NRN TIER STATES UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF STRONG H85-H30 ZONAL
FLOW. THE CONTINENTAL RIDGE WILL BLOCK THE LOW FROM ESCAPING TO THE NORTH...AND MAY EVEN CAUSE IT TO RETROGRADE INTO THE GULF STATES.

Anything to brew right now will be home grown, and is always a possibility when troughs are hung up.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
29.3N 73.0W [Re: bobbi]
      #16574 - Thu Jul 22 2004 08:27 PM

looks like we have a new circulation to watch for a while, but dont expect nothing much to happen yet! Visible imagery shows a well defined low-level circulation located at around 29.3'N 73.0'W, and the latest surface analysis shows this as a 1014mb low. Upper level conditions arent that great over this feature at present, as evidenced by the fact that the convective activity is located east of the circulation. Whether this has any chance i cant say, but given the season thus far i would say not just yet

Any thoughts on this one?

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 60368

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center