F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Florida Keys [Re: jth]
      #24351 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:52 PM

I can't find any updates from the Cayman Islands in repsect to evacuation. I did however find an updated airline shedule for the next few days.
Main link
http://www.caymanport.com/weather.htm
Airline update.
http://www.gov.ky/servlet/page?_pageid=2...amp;orgcode=189

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Florida Keys [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #24352 - Thu Sep 09 2004 01:58 PM

rich,
where did you get the info on the keys?

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Florida Keys [Re: andy1tom]
      #24353 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:03 PM

He is correct,, they are doing a evacuation of the keys as of 9am eastern. Not sure if its manditory or volentery. Then again really if you think about it,, whats the difference betweeen volentary and just deciding to leave anywhere, basically if you live anywhere you can say, i want to leave. Anways i know the rules on that, just dont think its a right saying. There should be only manditory ones.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Florida Keys [Re: scottsvb1]
      #24354 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:08 PM

i think what that means is we are not going to make you leave but you are on your own if you don't. with a 4-5 coming at me if i lived on the keys i would be outta there. question is where do you go. the whole state above you is still tore up. guess that is why they are doing it so far in advance.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #24355 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:09 PM

Non-Residents In Florida Keys Ordered To Evacuate
http://www.nbc6.net/weather/3709747/detail.html
Mandatory evacuation! Or your name, address, current photo and next of kin-for those that don't evacuate the Keys.

Edited by danielw (Thu Sep 09 2004 02:11 PM)

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
From Monroe County Emergency Management [Re: danielw]
      #24356 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:11 PM

Thursday, September 9, 2004
The National Hurricane Center in Miami is currently projecting that dangerous Hurricane Ivan will impact the Florida Keys late Sunday or early Monday. Because of the severity of the storm, Monroe County Emergency Management is beginning to issue protective actions and county officials have declared a local state of emergency effective at 8 am Thursday.

Emergency Management has ordered a mandatory evacuation for all the Florida Keys for non-residents, visitors and recreational vehicles beginning at 9 am Thursday morning. Owners of trailers and boat trailers should remove their property from the Keys Thursday beginning at 9 am as well.

Mobile home residents should begin to evacuate at 6 pm Thursday.

Emergency Management intends to initiate a phased evacuation of all residents in the Florida Keys and Flamingo Friday morning at 7 am. All residents that wish to leave THursday, are encouraged to do so.

All tolls on Card Sound Road are lifted at 9 am.

County and state parks will close Thursday.

Boat owners should secure their craft Thursday. The bridges at Snake Creek and Jewfish Creek will be locked in the down position (so that vehicles can pass) beginning Friday at 7 am.

A tractor-tanker trailer accident that had blocked US 1 at mile marker 28 on Little Torch Keys has been cleared, and the road has reopened.

All Monroe County schools are scheduled to close Friday.

Monroe County Emergency Management urges all residents and visitors to remain calm, listen and respond to directives. There is ample time to make necessary preparations.

Additional advisories and information will be issued later Thursday.

http://www.co.monroe.fl.us/EOC/ivan.htm

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

dbair
Unregistered

#24357 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:13 PM

9:00AM Sept 9 is mandatory evac for non residents. Friday AM 7:00 phased mandatory evacuation of residents begins.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Florida Keys [Re: dbair]
      #24358 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:22 PM

anyway someone can post the spagetti links page? I would really like to see what the model shows...... with a mom and grandparents in Vero, godparents is Sarasota, and a husband in Orlando helping to restock the Lowes after Frances...........I think I might end up with an ulcer by the time the '04 hurricane season ends.

--------------------
Kelly

Scared in Canada
Unregistered

Re: Florida Keys [Re: kelcot]
      #24359 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:24 PM

Hi, I have been addicted to this page all week. Can anyone tell me if they expect Ivan to hit Orlando?? We are flying in on Sept 15 and are wondering if we should cancell.
Please also let me say that I feel horrible for all the people of Florida, this is so unfair that they might be hit again. How much can 1 State take???

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Florida Keys [Re: kelcot]
      #24360 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

anyway someone can post the spagetti links page? I would really like to see what the model shows...... with a mom and grandparents in Vero, godparents is Sarasota, and a husband in Orlando helping to restock the Lowes after Frances...........I think I might end up with an ulcer by the time the '04 hurricane season ends.

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/hurricane_spaghetti2.asp

It's on the big list on the article too..

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Florida Keys [Re: MikeC]
      #24361 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:28 PM

mike,
thanks for getting the site going again. i was lost last weekend without it.

mlamay

Reged:
Loc: Clearwater, FL
Re: Florida Keys [Re: dbair]
      #24363 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:31 PM

Hey all I am new to this site.

Ivan would have to make a pretty sharp turn to the right fairly quickly, and I just don't see a sharp turn happening considering that it is a cat 5 and that it would have to make a 90 degree turn by midnite tonight to miss FL. Especially since it has seemed to have taken a more Westerly course in the last 3- 4 frames. I have had a bad feeling about this one from the start and I still belive it is going to impact the West Central coast of FL sometime Monday night. I will wait until the Sat night models come out and judging by that we will evacuate.

I heard about the evacuations in Key West this morning on the radio

--------------------
Matt
Chase 22 Clearwater, FL
Stormnet

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Trough [Re: andy1tom]
      #24364 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:32 PM

From what I'm seeing on the other sites and local NWS statements the trough that is FORECASTED to erode the ridge and allow Ivan to make the more northerly movement has not even developed yet. Is there a chance that it never does or that it will not have that much effect on the ridge?

ShawnS

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MrSpock]
      #24365 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:33 PM

Very nice pic. Thx!

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Trough [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #24366 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:37 PM

I certainly don't know where it is coming from. Here in Bham, we are not forcast to have any kind of trough come through over the next 7 days. Nothing but clear skies and warm temps.

USAFWXGuy
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #24368 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:41 PM

Remember last year all the hype the hurricane season was getting, and we only realy got was Claudette and Isabel, and FL got of scott free pretty much. Well I think the climatoligists were a year off. Though last year I was working in the states forecasting the effects of the storms, this year I watch them from afar in Germany. I just pray everyone in Jamaca and FL are more prepared this time.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: USAFWXGuy]
      #24370 - Thu Sep 09 2004 02:54 PM

does anyone have a compairison between Charlie, Frances, and Ivan? (as far as storm size, wind speed, pressure, etc) and if so, can you please post it. Thx

--------------------
Kelly

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: Florida Keys [Re: andy1tom]
      #24371 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:01 PM

Quote:

i think what that means is we are not going to make you leave but you are on your own if you don't. with a 4-5 coming at me if i lived on the keys i would be outta there. question is where do you go. the whole state above you is still tore up. guess that is why they are doing it so far in advance.

anywhere is better than the keys in a 4-5. problem is the water build up even at thee vac centers. they have cat 4-5 building s but if it floods forget it. Dade county has plenty of suitable shelter for those that wish to evacuate

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #24372 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:01 PM

I don't know, but it seems like models shift left and right on these mammoth storms. I have a feeling it could end up farther east than forecasted. It's all going to depend on timing! Morgan City, LA Eastward should not let their guard down with a storm like this for sure!

Ivan reminds me of Mitch a lot!

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Ivan Strong Category 5. TD#10 Forms in Eastern Atlantic [Re: USAFWXGuy]
      #24373 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:02 PM

Unfortunately, I think Central and South Floridians are more prepared for another storm than usual. Most have have probably stocked up twice already for storms this year...and if it didn't hit we still have some of the supplies around the house...but who can prepare for a storm with 103kt winds racing up toward you from the south? Oh well....I guess this is what is was like in Florida during the 1930/40s with a hurricane threat every season.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center