F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
comparison from skeetobite [Re: kelcot]
      #24374 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:02 PM

This image from Skeetobite gives a good idea of size comparison. Although i think it is from the 5am Advisory a couple of days ago. Keep checking his site at www.skeetobite.com for updated graphics.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
doug
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Ivan tending a tad more west this morning [Re: rickonboat]
      #24375 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:03 PM

The 5am discussion spent many lines discussing the ULL digging in and diving SW now located at 36n/48w...indeed it is doing that...this may be what will push that ridge also diving to the sw. Florida is again in the center of the bulls eye...enough is enough already!

--------------------
doug

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: comparison from skeetobite [Re: Jamiewx]
      #24376 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:07 PM

Quote:

This image from Skeetobite gives a good idea of size comparison. Although i think it is from the 5am Advisory a couple of days ago. Keep checking his site at www.skeetobite.com for updated graphics.

This storm looks like anouther Camille

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
11 am Forecast moves a little west...even worse for FL [Re: HCW]
      #24377 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:07 PM

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200409_5day.html

in orlando
Unregistered

Thank you from stormy Orlando [Re: MikeC]
      #24378 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:17 PM

I wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to those compassionate people who haave wished Ivan upon themselves rather than have it hit Florida as the third in a month. I live in South Orlando. My house was in the eye of Charley and in the northeast quadrant of Frances. We lost a tree and the roof from our carport. The debris from Charley was just picked up last night, so the majority of my neighborhood still had Charley debris during Frances. We were without power for 5 days in Charley and 1 in Frances. I am listing this not for pity, but to show that compared to others around the state, I did fairly well. God was watching out for us.

Being through these storms has allowed me to witness a community uniting in destruction, not in a micro sense, but as a macrocommunity encompassing all of Central Florida. Neighbor helping neighbor.

I speak for the citizens of Florida when I say that we don't wish Ivan or any other severe storm on anybody else. We would like to see it simply flounder in open water. But it does mean a lot to read of the compassion that residents of other hurricane prone states have towards Florida.

Please continue to keep those of us in storm-affected areas of Florida in your prayers and thoughts as we clean up from Charley and Frances (and perhaps prepare for Ivan).

God Bless

DEBORAH2002
Unregistered

Re: Thank you from stormy Orlando [Re: in orlando]
      #24379 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:26 PM

I want to thank the person who just posted from Orlando about all of the folks who have been so helpful to us here. I live in Oviedo (Seminole County) and had more or less the same damage as "in orlando". I hope somehow EVERYBODY gets spared, be they in Florida, Mississippi, Alabama or anywhere else this thing could land. So, I second the "thanks" that "in orlando" gave.
deb

Kimberley Clark
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: Thank you from stormy Orlando [Re: in orlando]
      #24380 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:29 PM

I know that this Southern Alabama girl will continue to pray for those of you in Florida. We have a member of our church who was down there with the insurance adjusters and said that it was awful before Francis hit. They sent him home prior to Francis. I keep looking and reading hoping I find something to keep this thing away from Florida. This morning on our local weather they said the drop sondes (sp?) picked up 210 mph winds at 350 feet above sea level. That is scary. I know there are a lot of questions about where it will go, but I believe we all need to pray for a halt in Ivan. Wherever it ends up IT'S GONNA BE BAD!!! Don't forget to be praying for those in Jamaica today and tomorrow. GOD'S SPEED TO YOU GUYS IN FLORIDA.

--------------------
Kimberley Clark
Mobile, Alabama

Weather Watcher

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
south of Jamaica..then NO ONE KNOWS [Re: Kimberley Clark]
      #24381 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:40 PM

The 4-5 day official
forecast...which is highly uncertain...calls for a solution in
between...bringing the hurricane over west/central Cuba into the
southeastern Gulf of Mexico and then Florida.

MaryLou
Unregistered

Re: south of Jamaica..then NO ONE KNOWS [Re: rickonboat]
      #24383 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:46 PM

If one only has enough material to cover the windows to protect one side of ones house, which side should it be?

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: south of Jamaica..then NO ONE KNOWS [Re: MaryLou]
      #24384 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:49 PM

There are two many ifs to answer that question about which side of the house.
Remember, if you are directly hit, you will get winds from two directions. If it is a side glane, you will get hit from three directions.
Also, are there other buildings protecting it from debris on any of the sides?

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Map updates [Re: MikeC]
      #24385 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:51 PM

Full size images available at Skeetobite.com

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Map updates [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #24387 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Full size images available at Skeetobite.com

Good stuff. Thanks for the update and keep up the good work

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

RedFred
Unregistered

#24388 - Thu Sep 09 2004 03:58 PM

I hope your street level is wrong, firstly I live in Plant City and I don't want it anywhere near me, and secondly, I would hate to see it make landfall in Port Charlotte again.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Map updates [Re: RedFred]
      #24389 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

I hope your street level is wrong, firstly I live in Plant City and I don't want it anywhere near me, and secondly, I would hate to see it make landfall in Port Charlotte again.

All maps are accurate to within 100 meters of the forecast path.

Looks like the secret lab will have a third hit in 4 weeks.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Map updates [Re: RedFred]
      #24390 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:04 PM

That appears like a worst case scenario. Hope that track is wrong, but it looks pretty good. Again, I don't think there is any way for the US to avoid another major hit.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
      #24391 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:09 PM

Skeetobyte,
I appreciate your maps.
It looks like your secret lab site is not a secret......at least to the hurricanes this year.

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tampa Area
      #24392 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:12 PM

I've been reading here for awhile, but first time posting. My profile says Tampa, but I'm actually in Wesley Chapel/Zephyrhills which is northeast of Tampa. I don't like what I'm hearing at all. They say Tampa, then go somewhere else, then come right back to this area. Charley & Frances made me slightly nervous, but this one flat-out scares me. I was born in Tampa, and have lived here off and on since 1971, and I have NEVER seen anything like this year. You've got to wonder what we did to deserve this.

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: south of Jamaica..then NO ONE KNOWS [Re: MaryLou]
      #24394 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:13 PM

Well it's good to be back. Thanks to Mike and everyone else who has a hand in keeping this site up and running. Now to Ivan.

Once again many of the models have put us here in Florida under the bullseye. The problem that I've noticed with the models so far is that they've trended too far north. Even comparing the runs from last night to this morning it's easy to see that Ivan has not followed the more northerly path that many have forecasted. What does this mean? Well it's very important how far north Ivan is when the trough comes through and weakens the ridge that is currently keeping Ivan south and moving WNW(much like Frances). However, most of the models right now believe that sooner rather than later Ivan will be far enough north to start his turn within the next day or so(Thursday night/Friday morning). But like I said most of the models have also had Ivan a bit too far north to begin with. If Ivan stays far enough south he won't start the north turn until he's gotten much farther west than many of the models have forecasted. Bringing him probably over the western end of Cuba and hopefully staying off the coast of Florida. Basically it comes down to whether Ivan is far enough north to take advantage of the weakness in the ridge over Florida that he makes a sharp turn to the NW then North. If not, then he continues chugging to the west until the other low, currently over the SW U.S. moves through and forces him to make a turn. It will be very important to see where Ivan is when he reaches Jamaica. Further south than currently forecasted and he probably doesn't make a dramatic NW/N turn. Either way everyone needs to pray for the people in Jamaica because they are going to be hit hard no matter what.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Edited by AgentB (Thu Sep 09 2004 04:18 PM)

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Map updates [Re: tenavilla]
      #24395 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:15 PM

Tena do you live in meadow pointe?

Kimberley Clark
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: south of Jamaica..then NO ONE KNOWS [Re: rickonboat]
      #24396 - Thu Sep 09 2004 04:17 PM

Rick, I thought you would be predicting Mobile Bay by now. Just kidding... This storm does concern me (as it should everyone on the Gulf Coast). My parents are elderly and live right off of Mobile Bay. If Frederick had not turned and sucked the Bay dry, our house would have been under water. It took two days to cut the trees off of the road to see if we had a house left. FEMA people came to check on us and said that by air they could see that over 100 tornados went through our woods and "someone sure must have been praying in that house". My father told him "we were praying, but we were not in that house"!!! I guess there is still somewhat of a good chance that this thing could hit northern central Gulf of Mexico???

--------------------
Kimberley Clark
Mobile, Alabama

Weather Watcher

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 49741

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center