F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
rule
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, Florida
NW path [Re: Unregistered User]
      #25335 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:20 PM

The slow down will be the main component of this, I think. I'm going out on a limb here and saying the eye will pass West of Grand Cayman.

http://www.esl.lsu.edu/special_gifs/gulf_wv_loop.gif

It just looks like the next 12 hours are very good for Westward motion to me.

Edited by rule (Sat Sep 11 2004 01:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Hurricane winds in Orlando? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #25336 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:22 PM

As of now most models have shifted to the west (for now).
scottsvb1..... what do you think of the ECMWF and it's record?

A lot going on this Sept 11... but don't forget what took place 3 years ago on Sept 11, 2001.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Edited by Storm Cooper (Sat Sep 11 2004 01:27 PM)

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane winds in Orlando? [Re: RevUp]
      #25337 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:22 PM

I dont think any of the experts said that there will be a landfall in S florida. Im not expert and I didnt. Right now to me still Tampa north is best chance but still the Keys could get some hurricane force winds if it jogs more east and still up to the panhandle region....right now its a near term event of whats going on around the storm. I posted that I wont give a landfall till today, well if it does go up to the panhandle that will be still 4 days out, so I might have a extra day to forcast landfall on my 3 day forcast.

scottsvb1
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane winds in Orlando? [Re: scottsvb1]
      #25339 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:28 PM

storm.....really to tell ya the truth, I dont like any of the models cause they are not consistant on a regular basis. The best way to interpet the models is see who has the best point A to point B then C and so on. Then again it can start to move off in the wrong direction. Over the U.S. I like the GFS but it has performed bad with Ivan and Frances. Ivan might end up with the path of 1 of the models in the end, but that would probably be a overall zig zag over the last 5-7 days as the models do change.

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: Alabama [Re: tenavilla]
      #25340 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:28 PM Attachment (327 downloads)

I was glad to see this morning that Jamaica was still there and didn't get a direct hit.............even though I'm sure they still sustained LOTS of damage. I was NOT happy to see that the projected path keeps changing west. It would be great to spare Florida, but I don't want it here either !!

I wasn't going to do this, but I can't resist. My Mom died 1 year ago on the 16th. I wrote the epitath on her headstone. (the third line is in German, so just ignore it) The bottom line is...................... the bottom line !!! I attached an actual pic just so nobody thinks I'm sharing an "urban legend" Hi Mom !

InOrlando
Unregistered

#25341 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:28 PM

Nobody can let up their guard anywhere In western Florida. I see this thing jogging left, then right all day long. Remember Charley. When a Hurricane is traveling parallel to a coast line (West Coast of Florida) a slight jog of 2 degrees could cause a difference in landfall by hundreds of miles.

I hope this stays on its expected western path, but lets all be carefull. It is too early still.

belleami
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St George Island/ Apalachicola
Spaghetti model down? [Re: scottsvb1]
      #25342 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:29 PM

What's up with the spaghetti model on the BoatUS page? Is it down or have they eliminated it? I like the noodle-method forecasting - Susie

--------------------
hang on!

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
      #25343 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:30 PM

Quote:

I dont think any of the experts said that there will be a landfall in S florida.

Just last night, I was reading posts about a number of private forecasters calling for landfall along SW coast. They know who they are.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Spaghetti model down? [Re: belleami]
      #25344 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:33 PM

the graphic comes from Hurricane Alley which is working through some bandwidth problems right now, so no updates UFN.

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
      #25345 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:33 PM

At this point, I do not believe we will be able to produce a confident forecast until 48 hours from now. The storm has made some significant wobbles, the most noticeable being the westward movement overnight. Now, it appears that Ivan has resumed a WNW motion. With such swinging, erratic movement the models cannot be relied upon at this time.

By looking at the water vapor imagery and upper level charts, I believe we can say with some confidence that Ivan is an eastern Gulf (Mobile east) storm. There is no way that Ivan will penetrate the trough in the western GOM, since it being re-inforced by new shortwaves. Model runs and official forecasts will change constantly, and will show a variety of scenarios for the east GOM. I don't give either of them much attention until 48 hours from now, when we will have a much better handle on the future track.

I think a major player in this forecast is an upper low that is retrograding westward toward the Bahamas now. Scott mentioned in his discussion how this has caused the ridge to nose down farther SW. I am having difficulty determining exactly how this will affect the steering pattern for Ivan, but it will be a major shaper of the ridge north of Ivan. The upper low will eventually weaken and we will have to see how the ridge responds to the low's influence over the next 48 hours.

God Bless,
Ronn

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Hurricane winds in Orlando? [Re: Ronn]
      #25346 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:43 PM

Ivan looks to be undergoing another eyewall replacement cycle.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Spaghetti model down? [Re: belleami]
      #25347 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

What's up with the spaghetti model on the BoatUS page? Is it down or have they eliminated it? I like the noodle-method forecasting - Susie

My guess is the filename is not as the code wants it to be:)

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Hurricane winds in Orlando? [Re: Ronn]
      #25348 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:52 PM

I'm thinking along the same lines Ron

SoonerShawn
Unregistered

Ronn [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #25349 - Sat Sep 11 2004 01:55 PM

I agree with you about this being an eastern gulf storm. There is just so far west that Ivan can go before he is forced to take that more northerly track because of the trough.

ShawnS

SC Bill
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Ronn [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25350 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:08 PM

This might be because I am senile, but I can't recall, in past years, having quite the dramatic changes in the models, and forecast tracks, that we have been seeing this year ie. Charley, Frances, Ivan. Is this because we are trying to forecast further in advance (I think the "official 5-day track" is a relatively new thing?), or is it because each of these storms has had its own set of more complicated than usual weather parameters in which to move?

OR, is it like when you forget the pain of a traumatic event, I just don't remember the roller coaster rides of previous years? :?:

rickonboat
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
GOM fo sho [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #25351 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:09 PM

Question, of course...is exactly where. Dr. Steve Lyons thought the interaction with Jamaica caused the storm to skirt along the south in a west motion...and once leaving the influence of land..it would resume it's wnw track. It will be interesting to see if that is true. One thing for sure, it will not be a problem for the keys...at least...for now, it is looking that way.

Unpredictable...but it did go south of Jamaica, as I thought...

probably go through the Yucatan...and as slow as it is going..way to early, as the models and forecasters are saying...to tell who is in the bullseye.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc:
Re: GOM fo sho [Re: rickonboat]
      #25352 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:16 PM

The SFC ridge to the north of Ivan is hanging in there pretty strong, along with the upper level trough. I can't help but consider the possibility that Ivan will move farther west between Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Surface pressures haven't started dropping yet at Grand Cayman with the recent passage of an outer band.
... surface pressures are falling however over western Cuba.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Edited by RevUp (Sat Sep 11 2004 02:36 PM)

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: GOM fo sho [Re: RevUp]
      #25353 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:17 PM

safe to say south fl out of the woods?

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: GOM fo sho [Re: trinibaje]
      #25354 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:21 PM

Quote:

safe to say south fl out of the woods?

Why do people even say this ? You are not out of the woods untill the storm is inland away from your area .

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: GOM fo sho [Re: trinibaje]
      #25355 - Sat Sep 11 2004 02:24 PM

not yet.depends on future conditions. read all the posts here throughly.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 23868

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center