F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
oil trader
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Tracking question [Re: HanKFranK]
      #52962 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:29 PM

Is there any explanation why track models behaved so well forecasting the diabolic path of Katrina except when she left Florida and got into GOM?
I mean, they predicted exactly the point when the storm turn left before the 1st landfall, also after Saturday morning they pointed NO despite same persistent opinions on very much eastern 2nd landfall.
However, how far Katrina went south in the GOM was not bought by almost anybody (money is not stupid and there was a pretty sell off in oil prices by Friday).
Do NO conditions make a powerful attraction for this type of phenomenon? I am asking this thinking about how worthy will be reconstruction efforts in this place.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Storm Surge [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52964 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:31 PM

Quote:

Brett Farve just spoke on Fox News. I have gained a whole heck of a lot of respect for Brett. He was talking about the difficulties they were having as far inland as his home in Hattiesburg. Hopefully when those who still don't understand the gravity of the situation when they hear a guy like Brett say, "As bad as this was, the worst is yet to come," will realize the scope of this.

I was born and raised in Wisconsin. You could never imagine the support the Packers get. Including 60,000 at their scrimmages. My point being, if Farve says send generators, food, Ice and whatnot it will be there shortly. If the Packers say jump, Wisconsin says "how High"?..LOL

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
92L [Re: emackl]
      #52965 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:36 PM

from the looks of the mdoel plots and such, it looks as if 92L will have to be watched, it is pretty far south..possibly a lesser antilles storm?..only time will tell

Good luck to all those others on the Gulf, thnaks for everything guys.

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: 92L [Re: Ryan]
      #52966 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:38 PM

Ryan

May god bless you.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Presidental Visit [Re: tpratch]
      #52967 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:41 PM

Ya'll may think I'm nuts but I don't understand why they don't do more from the ground. Why not get a crap load of Jet skis and go house to house. It seems like a water vehicle like that could zip around house to house and start working on the people in the houses. Let the choppers get the people that managed to get out and on top. OK, I'm sure someone can explain why that's a crazy idea.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Presidental Visit [Re: emackl]
      #52970 - Wed Aug 31 2005 05:54 PM

Where would you start, as well as where will they get the Jet-Ski's from. Anyway you look at it, still a logistical nightmare for those officilas in N.O.

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
      #52972 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

Ya'll may think I'm nuts but I don't understand why they don't do more from the ground. Why not get a crap load of Jet skis and go house to house. It seems like a water vehicle like that could zip around house to house and start working on the people in the houses. Let the choppers get the people that managed to get out and on top. OK, I'm sure someone can explain why that's a crazy idea.

LMAO......"Jet Skis".....now that is really funny.......let's see.....at what speed do you need to be traveling to be able to steer these things.......and I'm sure all the debris floating around in the flood waters will part a clear path as you fly through the area........

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Presidental Visit [Re: firestar_1]
      #52973 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:07 PM

ROFL! It's just a thought. It's just frustrating watching from TV. I keep saying why don't they do this or that. Never thought about the steering aspect...lol. In all honestly, is there not something they could use on the water to get around?

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
Jet Ski's [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52974 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:11 PM

not a bad thought...but they are TERRIBLE on gas....and it would be hard to coordinate where they oughta go.
As well...would if you were on one...and you went by a house...and 5 people were there?...the temptation to "load up"...all that...

the navy hovercrafts....and the helicopters...are the best things....get as many as possible.....

It seems the logical thing to do.

I heard they are asking for volunteers...I'll look into that.

rumors of alligators.

The governor is right....EVACUATE the city...I mean...the sewer system is trashed....it's a nightmare...where are these people gonna go to the bathroom at?......

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52976 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:14 PM

Yes,

And they are MK5 boats, the kind that EOD and Navy Seals use.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Jet Ski's [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #52978 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:16 PM

The Navy Hovercrafts would not work, they are too large for that area. Not enough turn radius anywhere to manevuer them.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Jet Ski's [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52980 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:19 PM

strange since i heard they are bringing them (hovercrafts)

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Jet Ski's [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #52981 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:19 PM

If you want to know what a MK5 looks like, check out this link.

http://www.zodiacmarineusa.com/

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Jet Ski's [Re: NewWatcher]
      #52982 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:22 PM

The hover craft you are talking about carry huge euipment on board them. That is why they are being delivered by the Navy on the Amhip ship in the Gulf now.

naples
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
      #52983 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:22 PM

I saw a row of Airboats that looked like they were headed for the city. Would these do a good job?

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #52985 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:23 PM

This is what the Hover Craft looks like.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-lcac.html

BobVee
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Storm Surge [Re: HanKFranK]
      #52986 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:24 PM

I agree. The very shallow waters of this part of the gulf and the absence of a large barrier island formation contributed to this situation as with the large wind field and a straight in hit. This was deja vu. One can only assume that recent experience with Ivan and Dennis lulled them into complacency, something the NHC and others have warned about constantly.

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
      #52987 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:24 PM

Quote:

ROFL! It's just a thought. It's just frustrating watching from TV. I keep saying why don't they do this or that. Never thought about the steering aspect...lol. In all honestly, is there not something they could use on the water to get around?

They are using the air boats now, but they are also asking others to stay away so they do not end up with more problems and injuries. I too wish they had some better way to make use of the additional boats people are offering to bring in to help...it seems to me they could use additional manpower. We had the same type of issues in Port Charlotte last year with people wanting to help and being asked to stay away in the beginning...

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

Edited by firestar_1 (Wed Aug 31 2005 06:29 PM)

BTfromAZ
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Francisco/Green Valley, AZ
Re: Tropical Depression 13 Regenerates, No Threat to Land [Re: MikeC]
      #52989 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:28 PM

For those who, like my sister in FL who emailed me about it, love animals, one possible way to help out in the areas affected by Katrina would be a donation to the Humane Society of the US. To quote briefly from their web site https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005/step1/rXdzEFkK1kp5X

Quote:

In response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, The HSUS has begun a massive relief effort to rescue animals and assist their caregivers in the disaster areas. Our highly trained Disaster Animal Response Teams are moving into Mississippi to begin a multi-state animal rescue and recovery effort. Our 38-foot Disaster Response Unit, along with other rescue vehicles affiliated with our teams, are fully stocked and on their way.

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: New Port Richey, Fl
Re: Storm Surge [Re: LI Phil]
      #52991 - Wed Aug 31 2005 06:28 PM

Margie
So happy to hear about your brother. He is truly a hero!!!

Glad to hear about others on the board are o.k. too.

Can hardly stand to watch CNN. Seems like there is more bad news everytime I turn it on. Last I heard was it would take 12 to 16 weeks to get electricity in some areas. Saw pics of Slidell - how horrific. Haven't seen any pics of Pascagoula (sp?) yet - but have read info posted in the last thread.

We have had some bad news (not Katrina related) in the last day and am just now getting around to reading everything since 1pm yesterday. We went today and gave blood. They said they had a ton of people show up on Monday. Pretty fair amount today too. Hope that continues.

My best to all. Got things to take care of now. Hope to be back on tomorrow.

Dotty

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 47757

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center