F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 240 (Idalia) , Major: 240 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 240 (Idalia) Major: 240 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: South Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Bertha Forms South of Cape Verde Islands [Re: cieldumort]
      #80294 - Mon Jul 07 2008 12:13 AM

Thinking it's premature speculation to say that it could become a major hurricane. It has had problems getting to this point, it is a small storm, the water is not yet percolating under it and it has SAL around it and a ahead of it still and it is supposed to hit shear in a day or so..

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/wavetrak/winds/m8g10split.html

One thing to say it will make hurricane or Category 1 and another to speculate yet on it's being a major hurricane.

If it stalls out and spins in the Bahamas under a strong ridge then maybe I'd believe anything but as for right now.. premature speculation I think.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Bertha Forms South of Cape Verde Islands [Re: LoisCane]
      #80295 - Mon Jul 07 2008 12:56 AM

I think alot depends upon how much poleward motion occurs. Right now, there is a definate northward component that did not exist earlier. While a stronger storm would be more likely to move poleward, that would also be more likely to subject the storm to shear from the trough, wouldn't it? Bertha does look very symmetrical right now, but the eye-like feature is no longer visible best I can tell.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Tropical Storm Bertha Forms South of Cape Verde Islands [Re: Hugh]
      #80296 - Mon Jul 07 2008 01:23 AM

Another SSMIS microwave overpass, with strong central structure.

It is definitely strengthening - take a look:

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tcdat/tc08/AT...N-462W.82pc.jpg

SSD also is now listing it at a 3.5. IR and Microwave is showing a strong band to the north, but none south. Outflow is improving in all quadrants, as seen via SSD IR AVN loop.

I would be surprised if we didn't see a hurricane within the next day based on current trends.

*hopes for a fish spinner*

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Bertha Forms South of Cape Verde Islands [Re: Random Chaos]
      #80297 - Mon Jul 07 2008 01:30 AM

Based upon that microwave image, and current satellite presentation, I'm going to use the philosophy of "if it looks like a 'cane, it's probably a 'cane"... BUT, if I look at the IR 2 channel satellite loop, and freeze it at the same time as that microwave image, I see a definate eye-like feature there as well. Yet, since then, it's disappeared.

As far as the poleward motion I saw earlier, it may have just been a wobble, because it looks like Bertha is tracking just north of the forecast track, like it's been doing for some time to my eyes.

ETA: Remarkable agreement among the models in the latest run, it appears... and it appears that Bermuda could be visited by Bertha.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Mon Jul 07 2008 01:46 AM)

LDH892
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Carolinas
Re: Tropical Storm Bertha Forms South of Cape Verde Islands [Re: Hugh]
      #80298 - Mon Jul 07 2008 06:05 AM

On IR it appears that Bertha's motion has been mainly westward over the last 5 hours, just north of the models and NHC forecast points, but no real surprise as these things tend to wobble along a mean track. If the motion continues Bertha may fall back in line with, and even a little south of, the NHC forecast points. IR cloud temps around the center have fallen too and Bertha looks slightly less symmetric, although the circulation appears more vigorous. The new 00Z GFS has Bertha stall out in the western Atlantic around 25-30N and 70W in days 5-7 (Sat.-Mon). Should make for an interesting next few days.

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Tropical Storm Bertha Forms South of Cape Verde Islands [Re: MikeC]
      #80299 - Mon Jul 07 2008 07:15 AM

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

No further comment necessary

John C
Unregistered

Hurricane Bertha [Re: cieldumort]
      #80300 - Mon Jul 07 2008 10:44 AM

As of 0500 Bertha is now a hurricae. A news artical should post soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 23461

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center