Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The well-defined Tropical Low (98L) continues producing hvy rain, wind and tstorms over N MX and SW TX. Atlantic waking up.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 336 (Nicholas) , Major: 352 (Ida) Florida - Any: 1406 (Michael) Major: 1406 (Michael)

Archives 2000s >> 2009 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Morpheus20033

Reged: Mon
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: Hugh]
      #86304 - Sun Aug 16 2009 07:44 PM

Im just curious, While looking at the track it goes from H to M. What does that mean? This is the first time I have ever seen this on a hurricane track. And this is in reference to Bill.

-Ian-

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Israel
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: Morpheus20033]
      #86305 - Sun Aug 16 2009 07:47 PM

That means Hurricane to Major Hurricane status.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

5m0k3

Reged: Tue
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: Morpheus20033]
      #86306 - Sun Aug 16 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Im just curious, While looking at the track it goes from H to M. What does that mean? This is the first time I have ever seen this on a hurricane track. And this is in reference to Bill.

The M indicates a predicted major hurricane.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #86307 - Sun Aug 16 2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

-Ian-

H = Hurricane
M = Major Hurricane

although I've NEVER seen the NHC graphic use M before, that's got to be what it means given the forecast for Bill.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: Hugh]
      #86308 - Sun Aug 16 2009 07:55 PM

Correct, M = > = 110 mph

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #86309 - Sun Aug 16 2009 08:50 PM

Looks like a bit of a burst of covection right over the LLC of Claudette JUST offshore of Panama City.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
      #86310 - Sun Aug 16 2009 09:06 PM

Claudette's pressure is an indicator that it won't deepen rapidly, 1008 the whole time, and hasn't fallen is a big sign.

I'm recording a webcam at Miramar that has some nighttime viewing ability here.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: MikeC]
      #86311 - Sun Aug 16 2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Claudette's pressure is an indicator that it won't deepen rapidly, 1008 the whole time, and hasn't fallen is a big sign.

I'm recording a webcam at Miramar that has some nighttime viewing ability here.

Neat webcam. The one I was viewing on Okaloosa Island went dark at sunset.

As for deepening, I'm not suggesting that it's going to deepen or intensify significantly before landfall, but it could still strengthen somewhat, and the satellite presentation and radar presentation indicate this, even without a pressure drop.

--------------------
Hugh

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
      #86312 - Sun Aug 16 2009 09:31 PM

Hey, we all have to grow sometimes... change.. evolve.... NHC is not asleep at the job... and yes Bill will put on quite a show... with the exception of Claudette's movement inland... he is really the only game in town.

Waiting to see how the package out of Miami is updated at 11..especially the discussion.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Marvin

Reged: Sat
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: LoisCane]
      #86313 - Sun Aug 16 2009 10:48 PM

Looks like Claudette is dying: http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=evx&product=N0R&loop=yes

HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: Marvin]
      #86314 - Sun Aug 16 2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Looks like Claudette is dying: http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar_lite.php?rid=evx&product=N0R&loop=yes

People are talking about the center looking ragged on radar again.........but it's gonna look like that since the NE quad is now between the radar and the center......and they are ignoring the huge IR blow up

http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s330/HCW2008/SAT_STATEFL_IR4ENH_ANI.gif

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

rgd
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: LoisCane]
      #86315 - Mon Aug 17 2009 12:18 AM

It is not getting stronger and soon will be inland and the storm will be done.Its really just a rain event to the east of the center that is about it.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: rgd]
      #86316 - Mon Aug 17 2009 12:25 AM

Claudette seems to be done and over with, for the most part. Will be a rain event now and possible tornado threat for the southern states. Bill I believe will be upgraded to hurricane status next advisory, it has continued to improve in organization and hints of an eyewall can be seen on water vapor satellite imagery. Ana seems to be barely struggling to survive, I expect this system to die out as forecasted, but I wouldn't be suprised, if it maintains the NHC forecast track, to re-organize once again when in the GOM and pose a possible threat to the Gulf Coast region. Getting hit by two storms in the same relative area within a week or so of one another could pose a flooding hazard, I think.

rgd
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: JoshuaK]
      #86317 - Mon Aug 17 2009 02:52 AM

1006 MLB and 50 mph winds ragged as all get out and a eye wall? LOL ok.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Tropical Storm Claudette Forms in Gulf of Mexico. Tropical Storm Warnings Up for NE Gulf [Re: rgd]
      #86318 - Mon Aug 17 2009 03:26 AM

man been watching radar and sats all day, esp. this evening.. just amazed at how the low level center from Claudette.. just took off and left the mid to upper lever center.. yet, looking at sats... u think the this is the best the storm has looked.... that trough to the north just kept this system from staying intact... i know theres shear on the west and south side, but i think the trough over the SE played a huge roll in not allowing the covection to to hook up with the surface center... it tried, but never could stay together...

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t3/flash-rb.html WOW... just an amazing picture this evening and tonight

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t3/loop-ir2.html southerly feed into the convection.. while the surface center is moving across nw Fl.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Mon Aug 17 2009 03:32 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 53830

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center