F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Pages: 1
maminel
Unregistered

Hurricanes in FLorida
      #64717 - Sun Mar 19 2006 10:30 PM

HEy. I'm considering moving to Florida this year from VA. Are the hurricanes enough to make a person regret moving there?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: Hurricanes in Florida [Re: maminel]
      #64720 - Mon Mar 20 2006 02:15 AM

Quote:

HEy. I'm considering moving to Florida this year from VA. Are the hurricanes enough to make a person regret moving there?

I've been a lifelong Floridian having endured several hurricanes.
I am still here on the east coast and would never move to any other location!

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Hurricanes in Florida [Re: ltpat228]
      #64722 - Mon Mar 20 2006 02:55 AM

Being a Floridian my entire 16 years of existence I'd say that if you are going to let a hurricane bother you, you are better off living in Kansas. Hurricanes do damage the area. But the probability of getting hit by a Hurricane of Andrew's caliber are once in a lifetime, and even Wilma are occasional storms. And actually, if you live over in Tampa, you stand the greatest chance of not being hit by a cyclone on the entire Gulf Coast if what my passing glance at landfall stats tells me. All in all, Florida is a nice place to live. Always nice weather year round.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Ritzy
Unregistered

Re: Hurricanes in FLorida [Re: maminel]
      #64807 - Sat Apr 01 2006 08:03 PM

I am thinking of moving to Florida. Is there an area that is safe from hurricanes? Would the Orlando area be safe?
Thanks,
Ritzy

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: Hurricanes in FLorida [Re: Ritzy]
      #64808 - Sat Apr 01 2006 08:29 PM

Orlando, besides being run over by Charley in 04, generally does not see hurricanes. It is farther inland so you are safer from both a surge standpoint as well as winds as usually, they are far weaker when they cross by Orlando.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

ltpat228
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie FL
Re: Hurricanes in FLorida [Re: Ritzy]
      #64809 - Sun Apr 02 2006 03:46 AM

Quote:

Would the Orlando area be safe?

I am a Floridian living on the east coast of Florida for almost 53 years now.
Many people from my area flee to the Orlando area during active storms obviously because it's in the center of my state.
I prefer the east coast as it's quite tropical and beautiful.
No hurricane I've endured in 53 years has scared me to the center of Florida.
I simply hang tight and ride out the hurricanes.

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #64810 - Sun Apr 02 2006 09:35 PM

Its simple .. if you have hurricane on the way - follow warnings ... thats all ... if they say evacuate - do it ..
I was in Central Florida for 2 years, and i got fiew of them ... When last hit over Lake okeechobee i was in city of Okeechobee ...

I am now in Germany, but i miss Florida a lot ... No need to avoid white sand beaches .. go on :-)

poolwatcher
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Hurricanes in FLorida [Re: komi]
      #65428 - Mon May 29 2006 07:10 PM

Every region has its problems. One thousand people every day relocate to Florida.

When you move to Florida, don't live right on the water if you dont want to worry about hurricanes (i.e. stay off the beach, stay off the banks of the Indian River lagoon). Make sure your house has a good roof with construction done with post Andrew building code== be sure its in good repair-- in my area, it was the older homes with older roofs that had the most problem. Buy hurricane shutters for all your windows.

Consider evacuating if you hate being in the heat with no electricity.

California's earthquakes look more dicey to me as do the Midwests tornadoes. I lost my house in Jeanne, and I still live in Florida. Its also a great business climate. The schools are rated as among the worst in the nation. The college system, however, is rated well (UF Gainesville).

Charlotte NC looks like one of the best areas of the nation to live in, in my opinion, if you are looking for relocation.

Perry

Reged:
Loc: Douglasville, Georgia
      #65613 - Mon Jun 05 2006 12:36 AM

If you move to Florida, you need to realize it appears a new Florida peninsula landfalling cycle has begun (as of 2004), with as many major landfalling hurricanes (3....Charley, Jeanne, Wilma) in the past two seasons as occurred during the previous 53 years COMBINED (1951-2003....Donna, Betsy, Andrew). This has serious ramifications for Floridians during the next two or three decades.

So far, south Florida has honestly been fortunate; Charley was very small and struck the least populated county along the Florida west coast south of Tampa. Jeanne missed highly populated areas of Palm Beach and Broward counties (so did Frances, which also weakened to cat-2 before landfall). Wilma's worst winds/ storm tides struck unihabitated swamps of the Everglades south of Naples...the core also narrowly missed the Keys where reportedly many failed to evacuate (we're lucky a lot of people down there didn't drown). With the last major landfall cycle (1919 to 1950) as a guide, it's almost inevitable that sooner or later, we're going to witness a very large and intense hurricane impact a highly populated coastal area (as the September 1926, September 1928, and September 1947 cat-4 hurricanes all did).

I wouldn't tell anyone not to relocate to central or south Florida (I've thought about doing so a time or two myself); just remember Florida's climatological hurricane frequency (and historical frequency of major hurricanes since 1850) and be prepared.....for hurricane season and mentally prepared for what the next massive hurricane could cause.

PW

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/southernwx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7572

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center