Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Clean up and rescue operations in the wake of major hurricanes Milton and Helene continue. No new threatening storms on the immediate horizon.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 6 (Milton) , Major: 6 (Milton) Florida - Any: 6 (Milton) Major: 6 (Milton)

General Discussion >> 2024 Forecast Lounge

Pages: 1
cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Ernesto Lounge
      #115067 - Fri Aug 09 2024 02:15 AM

Modeling continues to point to improving background conditions for development as we head towards the climatological peak, and a tropical wave located a few hundred miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verdes increasingly looks likely to become our next Invest and potentially also named storm.

Steering currents favor a track that would take this system, developed or not, towards the Greater Antilles and Bahamas, then depending on how well formed it is as well as how much high pressure to its north is built in, may ultimately pose a threat to the CONUS and/or Bermuda and/or Canada. Despite the fact that there is nothing here more than a wave at this time, given that models nearly unanimously develop this feature and suggest it poses a threat to land, we are starting a Lounge at this time.

NHC odds for development as of this post are 0% within 48 hours and 50% within 7 days.

As noted, this wave is not yet Invest-tagged, but any status changes will be updated to the title as warranted.

As of 2024-08-10-0Z this wave is now being tracked as an Invest (98L) and the title has been updated accordingly
Ciel

Edited by MikeC (Mon Aug 12 2024 03:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IsoFlame
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
Re: Next MDR Wave [Re: cieldumort]
      #115068 - Fri Aug 09 2024 09:26 AM

Quote:

Steering currents favor a track that would take this system, developed or not, towards the Greater Antilles and Bahamas, then depending on how well formed it is as well as how much high pressure to its north is built in, may ultimately pose a threat to the CONUS and/or Bermuda and/or Canada.

Just like with Debby's early pre-depression formation when consensus was east of Florida, right now I don't have confidence in current modeling suggesting recurve east of Florida. My "gut feeling" is that the Atlantic high that has been dominant this season will persist, keeping the slow to develop system on a W/WNW track (below 20N) for longer. Once the system becomes Ernesto, the later turn NW around the western extension of the ridge will potentially threaten the Florida peninsula (like with Debby), then possibly the panhandle or Big Bend region (the 3rd time in less than a year!).

Edited by IsoFlame (Fri Aug 09 2024 09:35 AM)

CFHCAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: East Central Florida
Re: Next MDR Wave [Re: IsoFlame]
      #115069 - Fri Aug 09 2024 12:59 PM

Setup here prefers the east of US Track if the system strengthens early, if not you get something like today's 12Z GFS where it slips under then landfalls around Wilmington NC on Aug 18/19th. Canadian is much stronger, and stays east of Bermuda and recurves before it reaches the Caribbean islands.

Basically it's a case for the "weaker west" "stronger east" setup.

Icon is in between those two, and the 0z Euro gets close to Bermuda but stays east of the US mainland (after going over the USVI and PR) but then curves back toward MA/ME at the end of the run.

bob3d
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Pasco County, Florida
Re: Next MDR Wave [Re: IsoFlame]
      #115070 - Fri Aug 09 2024 06:22 PM

Quote:

Just like with Debby's early pre-depression formation when consensus was east of Florida, right now I don't have confidence in current modeling suggesting recurve east of Florida. My "gut feeling" is that the Atlantic high that has been dominant this season will persist, keeping the slow to develop system on a W/WNW track (below 20N) for longer. Once the system becomes Ernesto, the later turn NW around the western extension of the ridge will potentially threaten the Florida peninsula (like with Debby), then possibly the panhandle or Big Bend region (the 3rd time in less than a year!).

I have a hard time believing a more easterly path is likely with the strong Atlantic high in place and in my opinion will move this system further west before it recurves to the north. A path similar to Debby seems to me to be more plausible.

--------------------
bob
Time in West Central Florida: 51 years

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Next MDR Wave [Re: CFHC]
      #115071 - Sat Aug 10 2024 12:05 AM

0z icon tonight is fairly far right, it only clips the northern leewards and then recurves well before the Bahamas/Turks and Caicos ending close to Bermuda

0z GFS is a little left/south and gets into Hispaniola on this run, which is an uhoh for weaker/west. It does get into the turks and caicos and southeastern bahamas then manages to stay offshore of the US (And avoid Bermuda) and go out to sea.

The 0z Canadian goes out to sea before it reaches the Leeward islands and never directly affects land.

The 0z Euro goes through the leewards, over puerto Rico then turns north, avoids Bermuda at the last minute and goes out to sea.

The 6z GFS is stronger than 0z, but is a similar track to it, out to sea, although may get all the way to the Azores on the trip back east, a sign it may be a very long lived system.

Troughing seems strong enough to keep the system away from the mainland US, (at least the southeast and mid-Atlantic, but it'll likely recurve enough to avoid north of there also)

IsoFlame
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Re: Next MDR Wave [Re: MikeC]
      #115072 - Sat Aug 10 2024 07:10 AM

Back and forth on timing of strengthening. Latest GFS further east.
One thing is nearly certain, if/when 98L becomes Ernesto and if/when tracks over the western Atlantic east of the Bahamas, rapid intensification to major while recurving likely, possibly threatening Bermuda.

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
      #115073 - Sat Aug 10 2024 04:12 PM

12z models are mostly to the right, GFS is the furthest west/left, but none come close to the US mainland on this run. 18Z earlies also generally shifted right, with Bermuda becoming the longer range threat. The short term is how it'll do with the Caribbean islands, although the Canadian still recurves before reaching it, all the other models get it into the Leewards. There is a chance the Northeast or Atlantic Canada sees something from it though.

IdaliaJackson
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Next MDR Wave [Re: bob3d]
      #115075 - Sat Aug 10 2024 05:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a hard time believing a more easterly path is likely with the strong Atlantic high in place and in my opinion will move this system further west before it recurves to the north. A path similar to Debby seems to me to be more plausible.

JFL everything is pointing after the NE Caribbean graze it's going OTS then to Canada

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Re: Next MDR Wave [Re: IdaliaJackson]
      #115076 - Sun Aug 11 2024 09:29 AM

It's looking even less likely for Bahamas and US impacts this morning, but models are either taking it through the northern Leeward islands or just to the north of them and then moving generally toward or just east of Bermuda. GFS/Euro/Canadian keep the system east of Puerto Rico also, and only the Icon moves it toward Hispaniola now. Canadian still doesn't even reach the leeward islands or Bermuda. Although a lot of ensembles still take the system over Puerto Rico. The Virgin Islands may get more from it.

IsoFlame
Weather Analyst

Reged:
      #115078 - Sun Aug 11 2024 04:41 PM

A large upper level low in the Atlantic between Bermuda and PTC5 is an interesting feature:
water vapor
Following PTC5/Ernesto, strong areas of convection continue to push off Africa into the eastern Atlantic. The MDR Congo line is kicking in gear.

Edited by IsoFlame (Mon Aug 12 2024 08:15 AM)

cieldumort

Reged:
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Ernesto Lounge [Re: cieldumort]
      #115081 - Mon Aug 12 2024 10:13 PM

So far, Ernesto is arguably more sharp wave with a transient and jumpy low level center, than what one might typically expect to see with a tropical cyclone. The nascent tropical cyclone is definitely feeling the impacts of a very rapid forward speed and perhaps also some trade wind divergence. These strongly challenging factors may not only result in delaying and slowing significant development, as we have already seen, but also westward adjustment to its current and future track.

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Center reformation [Re: cieldumort]
      #115083 - Tue Aug 13 2024 10:26 AM

Edited by Robert (Tue Aug 13 2024 10:37 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3416

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center