F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

Archives 2020s >> 2022 Storm Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Ian's impact in your area [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #114402 - Sat Oct 01 2022 01:07 AM

Lost two trees in Orlando, but that's about it, never lost power. However, had friends from tampa stay with us. Flooding around here was bad in some spots. Some friends of ours in Wauchula were affected by the Peace River flooding though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Ian's impact in your area [Re: MikeC]
      #114403 - Sat Oct 01 2022 02:45 AM

The delayed river crest flooding is causing all sorts of roadway problems, especially in SW Florida, where multiple routes to Ft. Myers from the north are closed, including I75. 17 is blocked too, 41 is blocked.

Kentraco

Reged:
Loc: Deltona, FL
Re: Ian's impact in your area [Re: MikeC]
      #114406 - Sun Oct 02 2022 03:51 PM

Dodged a bullet in Deltona. There's flooding in some areas of the city, but we had only minimal water intrusion on the side of the house that faced the strongest wind. We also never lost power.

kapSt.Cloud
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Long Beach, MS
Re: Ian's impact in your area [Re: IsoFlame]
      #114407 - Sun Oct 02 2022 05:45 PM

Drone footage of flood waters around hospital in Kissimmee, Florida::

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/extensive-flooding-tropical-storm-ian-164225496.html

HCA Florida Osceola Hospital, formerly Osceola Regional Medical Center, is located on Oak Street near downtown Kissimmee.

Edited by kapSt.Cloud (Sun Oct 02 2022 05:48 PM)

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: Ian's impact in your area [Re: kapSt.Cloud]
      #114409 - Mon Oct 03 2022 03:21 PM

The flooding was a lot worse then I expected. I think the cold front was to blame, all that warm water from the Atlantic as Ian exited the state got pulled in and immediately cooled high in the atmosphere, condensed and came down in buckets N of the track.

Some good news (for me at least) is our mobile home in St James City is still standing! There is some roof damage which will be investigating and attempt to repair in two weeks. The trailer was placed on the lot in 2016 and required being raised 7 feet then tethered down with special hurricane straps. Based on pictures taken by a neighbor none of the windows even broke. We just assumed the whole thing was wiped off the lot or blow away.

Looking at the damage in general the more expensive, newer, well built, raised homes - even those on the barrier islands did fairly well. However the older single story homes didn't stand a chance due to surge. A prime example is Matlacha which had lots of wooden cottages - these were all completely flattened. The damage to the bridges appears (to my untrained eye) be caused when the surge retreated it sucked the sand out from under them causing the structure to collapse under its own weight.

JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Ian's impact in your area [Re: JMII]
      #114411 - Thu Oct 06 2022 02:27 PM

Dodged a bullet in Northwest Lakeland, only lost power for an hour and very minor structural damage plus a few tree limbs down.

kapSt.Cloud
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #114413 - Fri Oct 07 2022 01:21 AM

I had to check to see where St. James City, FL is located. Your mobile home (manufactured home as they are now named) made it through that monster! To say I was shocked is an under statement! Water in front, water in back. This proves without a doubt, your home being on piers saved it. Storm surge is the destroyer and the killer! You can’t fight water!

Central Florida is suffering from severe flooding from Ian. It hasn’t crested yet. I’m in St. Cloud, FL which was flooded 4 streets up from our lake. Someone vandalized the locks in Orange County. As a result their water was dumped into our East Lake Tohopekaliga! The last time we had flooding was in the ‘60’s. Since then Florida has turned into a paved parking lot with no place for the water to drain.

I read an article this week about how people concentrate on the high winds of a hurricane instead of storm surge. Katrina should have alerted people to the fact it’s the water and not so much the wind. Camille hit Mississippi in 1969 with a central pressure of 900 millibars; the wind instruments were destroyed so they estimated the winds were 175 mph at landfall. The old antebellum homes in MS withstood her winds, then Katrina took them out in 2005 due to a storm surge at high tide! A 28-32 foot storm turned those homes into match sticks! It was as if a bomb had been dropped on the 3 coastal counties of MS. Two major bridges over the bays were destroyed. I-10 which goes cross country was flooded in parts. That interstate highway is about 7 miles from the coast!

Watch the following video and tell yourself you (in the collective) won’t pay heed to evacuate when told to do so. Most of the lives lost from Ian didn’t have to happen if they had only listened to the warnings and evacuated. As one person commented “Never underestimate a storm and get out when they tell you to.” Remember you can’t fight water! Everything floating becomes battering rams for the next house, the next building, the next person. While hanging onto a tree or grabbing a door floating by…your skin is being ripped from your body, but you may survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kou0HBpX4A

Edited by kapSt.Cloud (Fri Oct 07 2022 02:10 AM)

IsoFlame
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: One block off the Atlantic Oce...
      #114414 - Fri Oct 07 2022 01:50 PM

10/7/2022 FL-VL-42 Daytona Beach Shores 1.8 SSE 0.00 7AM: 63f, CLEAR, WIND LIGHT WNW. INTERNET RESTORED YESTERDAY, SO FL-VL-42 DAILY REPORTS NOW AVAILABLE. POST-IAN CLEAN-UP CONTINUES IN DAYTONA BEACH AREA. PERSONAL OBSERVATION DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE LONG-DURATION STRONG TROPICAL STORM (NUMEROUS GUSTS IN EXCESS OF HURRICANE FORCE) AS FOLLOWS: MAX SUSTAINED WIND SPEED = 65-70 MPH. MAX GUSTS: 85-90 MPH. TOTAL EVENT (2-DAY) RAINFALL: 23.4". DAMAGE IN IMMEDIATE AREA NEAR DUNLAWTON AVENUE BEACH APPROACH IS SUBSTANIIAL: COLLAPSED SEA WALLS/SWIMMING POOLS, SOME UNDERMINING OF CONDOMINIUM WHERE I ONCE WORKED (NOW CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE). MOST, IF NOT ALL, BEACH VEHICLE RAMPS HEAVILY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED, DUNE CROSSOVERS WASHED AWAY. DRIVING ON BEACH CLOSED- NOT POSSIBLE DUE TO SEVERE LOSS OF SAND AND ONGOING HIGH FALL TIDES. PEDESTRIAN ACCESS TO BEACH AT LOW TIDE ONLY AND VERY LIMITED DUE TO LOSS OF CROSSOVERS AND DAMAGED RAMPS. VOLUSIA COUNTY OFF BEACH PARKING LOTS EAST OF A1A CLOSED TO VEHICULAR ACCESS. FALL'S BIGGEST VOLUSIA COUNTY EVENT (BIKETOBERFEST) WILL STILL BE HELD OCTOBER 13-16TH. IF LARGE AND NUMEROUS DEBRIS PILES FROM IAN ARE NOT PICKED UP BEFORE THE EVENT, MOTORCYCLING WILL BE HAZARDOUS!

--------------------
CoCoRaHS Weather Observer (FL-VL-42) & Surf Forecaster: https://www.surf-station.com/north-florida-surf-forecast-3/

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
      #114419 - Mon Oct 17 2022 07:35 PM Attachment (123 downloads)

Quote:

I had to check to see where St. James City, FL is located. Your mobile home (manufactured home as they are now named) made it through that monster! To say I was shocked is an under statement! Water in front, water in back. This proves without a doubt, your home being on piers saved it. Storm surge is the destroyer and the killer! You can’t fight water!

Correct. We finally got over to Pine Island this weekend to inspect in person and yes our mobile home is intact. We estimate there was 12-18" of water that got in, but the screens on the windows are still in place. The patio set (table and chairs) were turned over but the glass table wasn't even so much as chipped. The stairs simply tipped over after the water receded I think - they were not anchored to the ground nor the home. The shed in the backyard by the canal is gone, wind took it.

I fully believe 90% of the damage seen from Ian was surge related. In our case being about a mile from the Sound meant the water level rose but it didn't rush in with waves on top of it. For example our dock is undamaged it was just covered in broken tree limbs and other debris.

Note the neighbors house - it made it thru with almost no damage due to being built even higher. These properties are located on Eight Avenue in St James City about a 1/4 mile from the main N/S road that runs the length of the island.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
      #114420 - Mon Oct 17 2022 07:39 PM Attachment (117 downloads)

next door...

kapSt.Cloud
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #114421 - Mon Oct 17 2022 10:41 PM

Your photos proves it once again…build HIGH. Storm surge is the monster! With 140 mph winds your home and neighbor’s home had very little damage while other homes were reduced to match sticks due to not wind…but water. Your roof is intact. I see no damage to the shingles.

Sad to say, but it bears repeating, most of the deaths from Ian were due to drowning. When will people ever learn to pay heed to the warnings to evacuate? Storm surge is not minor flooding! They believe they can survive even if the surge is only 3 feet. They don’t realize all things floating become battering rams! We’ve always been told to store away all outside items as they become flying missiles from the wind! Then combine those winds with storm surge and high tide. If you make it through alive it would be a miracle! I once heard if water is half way up your driveway it’s too late to evacuate! Your only option is to grab an axe and head for the attic!

I recently moved back to FL from the MS Gulf Coast. I lived across the street from the beach. When Zeta of 2020 hit it became a low cat 3 at landfall. My house was built on 16” concrete piers. U.S. 90 in front became the Gulf of Mexico. My elevation was high, 23 feet, so water didn’t reach the parking area under my house. My neighbor’s yard which has a lower elevation had water half way up their driveway. They found part of the city’s pier jammed into their fence. BTW, the part came from about a quarter mile away.

My slab lot in Long Beach, MS had a 32 foot storm surge from Katrina. Look at the extent of the surge coupled with high tide.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=...D1%26sresct%3D1

When told to evacuate…run! And run fast as if your life depended on it!

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
      #114422 - Tue Oct 18 2022 01:58 PM Attachment (125 downloads)

Quote:

Your roof is intact. I see no damage to the shingles.

You can't see it but the front half (south facing) roof shingles were ripped off.

All the downed trees I saw in Cape Coral were tipped over to the WSW telling me things were worse wind wise on the backside. This is what I experienced in Wilma too in NW Broward. I fully believe the eyewall winds were more inline with 120 MPH not 140-160 or some of the insane 180 "estimated" gusts some were claiming.

Arrow on the radar image is location of pictures above. Comparing this image against the localized damage I think the direct hit might have been a minor blessing since St James got the front and back of the eyewall with a period of calm in between. In contrast areas like Ft. Myers Beach were in the S eyewall the entire time, it never let up even after landfall. Downtown Ft. Myers flooded due to the ocean water pushing up the river where it getting funneled into a narrower space forcing it higher and higher. The radar also shows why the surge was bad down S in Naples, they too never saw a break from the onshore flow until Ian was halfway across the state. Everyone N of the eye experienced offshore flow and thus no surge at all.

kapSt.Cloud
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #114423 - Tue Oct 18 2022 09:23 PM

OMG! And I mean it as a prayer! I agree with you on the 120 mph winds. I seriously doubt your double-wide, or any home would still be intact with a Cat 4 storm. See the included video. A Cat 4 storm with a high storm surge would literally have flattened everything to ground level. Nothing but match sticks! People need to read about and look at the photos of what Katrina did to the three coastal counties of Mississippi.

Camille in 1969 was registering 175 mph until the instruments broke when she hit MS. Some have estimated at least 200 mph gusts. She cut a 2.5 mile gap in one of the barrier islands. Katrina widened it to a 3.5 gap. You are correct in stating it’s insane to estimate 180 mph winds. I’ve lived through enough of these storms starting with Donna in 1960 to know people have a tendency to embellish. They have no idea what a Cat 4 or 5 storm leaves behind…which is nothing!

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/video_12a3653a-c1bb-5fdf-9b0b-d5f88f94a0b7.html

For those who didn’t evacuate and lived through Ian’s storm surge and for those who think a storm surge is just minor flooding you need to rethink your thoughts! And I ain’t whistling “Dixie”! Too bad for those who drowned didn’t listen to the warning to evacuate. The “cone” was at your back door. Then that jog to the east brought it to your whole house. For those who foolishly stay for the next one be certain to have an axe in the attic and pray your house stays intact long enough for you chop through to the roof. But, if it’s another Katrina…you’ve already lost due to a 30 to 32 foot storm surge! YOU CAN’T FIGHT WATER! YOU CAN’T FIGHT WATER!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Sto...26FORM%3DRESTAB

kapSt.Cloud
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #114424 - Wed Oct 19 2022 04:03 AM

You may have seen the following, but if not this should be of interest. Sad to say, for those who didn’t evacuate it was the beginning of the horror they witnessed before being washed away. They had time to be aware of the folly of their decision to not evacuate and realized there was no escape. A chill went down my spine while viewing it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Hur...26form%3DVDMHRS

I recall reading about the 911 operator during Katrina sobbing because she couldn’t send help to those who were pleading for help. She had to listen to their cries, their screaming, then silence… except for the cacophony of Katrina’s fury. Why don’t people listen and pay heed to the warnings?

Another virtual video of storm surge:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Sto...26FORM%3DRESTAB

I post these links hoping people will listen to the warnings, take them seriously and evacuate when the next one hits. As he said a 3 foot storm surge is putting your life at risk.

Edited by kapSt.Cloud (Wed Oct 19 2022 04:20 AM)

Mike V
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
      #114426 - Mon Oct 24 2022 01:47 AM Attachment (125 downloads)

I live in Cape Coral, but left to Homestead when I saw the storm headed in my direction. Once was enough with Andrew. My house is located on a direct access canal to the Caloosahatchee river. I got 6 1/2" of water in the house and I'm lucky compared to others. Here is a pic of how deep the water got.

--------------------
Donna, Betsy, Cleo, George, Floyd, David, ANDREW (Eye wall adventure), Wilma, Katrina, Irma, Ian flood adventure.

Edited by Mike V (Mon Oct 24 2022 01:49 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19552

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center