Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

90L's remnants are now inland, nothing developed. A generally quiet Atlantic is likely until later in August.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 275 (Zeta) , Major: 338 (Laura) Florida - Any: 1024 (Michael) Major: 1024 (Michael)

Archives 2000s >> 2003 News Talkback

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
mjo says...
      #13290 - Tue Sep 23 2003 01:52 PM

good MJO negative wave coming into the north atlantic basin... things should start tripping of during the next few days. considering time of year, the sw caribbean and central atlantic should be the areas to watch. it's late for the far eastern atlantic.
by the way, a big canadian high is forecast to drive down to the gulf coast in the next week... should be our first cool fall air mass to penetrate south.. western gulf strike probs drop off after such an event.
HF 1752z23september

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Dunedin, FL
Re: Hurricane Marty (in the Pacific)
      #13291 - Tue Sep 23 2003 04:03 PM

Looking for hurricanes which have struck AZ, not Tropical storms.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #13292 - Tue Sep 23 2003 04:11 PM

I know. I couldn't find any. Pretty sure there never were any full strength hurricanes to hit 'Zona. Closest might have been Kathleen with sustained winds of 57.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Kimster
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Dunedin, FL
      #13293 - Tue Sep 23 2003 05:35 PM

Thanks Phil...I couldn't find any either...

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #13294 - Tue Sep 23 2003 07:47 PM

Good discussion - which prompted me to take a look at a couple of other storms. The UNISYS Best Track data shows that Hurricane #11 in 1958 and Hurricane Katrina in 1967 were still at hurricane strength in Arizona so I went back and looked at the NHC position data for those storms. The 1958 hurricane was listed at hurricane strength (75kts) throughout the entire life span of the storm, so throw that one out as bad data. Hurricane Katrina in 1967 was a 75 knot hurricane at 31.9N 114.6W on September 2nd at 12Z. Six hours later the storm was in Arizona but it had weakened to a 45 knot tropical storm (and 6 hours after that, it was gone). The debate centers of whether it was still a 65 knot hurricane when it crossed the border into Arizona - perhaps, but not likely - no reporting stations to confirm it one way or the other.
Cheers,
ED

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
Objective (!) look at my seasonal forecast to date:
      #13295 - Tue Sep 23 2003 09:38 PM

>>14/8/4

The initial 14/8/4 appears to be La Nina influenced. I jumped the gun like 90% of the rest of weather fans. I'm not sure where we end up, because I think at least 3 more named storms are in the offing. I think we're at 9/5/2, though we technically could be as high as 10/6/3 with the appropriate recon information.

>>This year it's more wide open. Landfalls could occur between 80-97W depending on relative conditions at the time the storms are in the area.

So far so good on the open US Coast, as hits have come from Texas to North Carolina.

>> I'm predicting a minimum of 5 named storms in some part of the Gulf of Mexico.

Check - Bill, Claudette, Erika, Grace, Henri

>>We could see as many as 6 or 7 landfalls this year.

Check - Bill, Grace, Claudette, Grace, Henri (double hit not verified by NHC), Isabel (TD #7)

>>I'll go out on a limb and predict 1 hit between the Upper Mexican Coast and Corpus

Got 2 there

>>1 landfall between Corpus and New Iberia/Vermillion Bay

Got 1 there

>>2 landfalls between New Iberia and Panama City Beach

Got 1 there so far

>>1 landfall between Key West and PCB

Got 1 there (though Erika was close when she backed across the state)

>>and a landfall in SE Florida which could be a dual landfall (ala Betsy, Andrew, et al).

Still waiting for the big one in SE FL

>>The Outer Banks is always a potential target, so that goes without saying. And there's always the shot that if the Bermuda Ridge is placed just right, there could be a hit between coastal Virginia and Maine.

Got that one (including TS conditions from VA to NJ)

>>It's almost like 2003 could peak differently than what we saw in 2002 and 2001.

Check
---------------------------------------------------
There was some other fluff about the NAO and SSTA's, but we've all been watching that this year. Joe B has been singing 1985 and 1995 the last several days. He believes the season which pretty much began in the Gulf (sans April Ana), most likely will end there too. October 1985 had Juan menacing FL and LA. October 1995 had Opal. He's very high on the season finishing up with a Florida hit, so we're going to have to wait and see if/when that comes to pass. Chances are, nothing is going to get organized in the Gulf until this period of amplification is over. Chances are that the 3rd trof in the series may split and drop a piece into the south central Gulf. There will be an ULL there for the next several days as well as 3 waves feeding on in. It's a slow path to development, but one that the eastern Gulf will eventually be paying attention to IMHO.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Hey Bobbi...
      #13296 - Tue Sep 23 2003 11:42 PM

You were wondering what the predictors for ENSO were. Here's the NCEP trending toward a moderate El Nino by July 2004.

NCEP - ENSO next 10 months

I don't have Cycloneye's list of what all the prediction offices say, but I'm going to try to find it as well.

Got it (thanks to a search for Cycloneye!):

ENSO Forecast from 8/03 - Next 8 Months

Steve

--------------------

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Hey Steve
      #13297 - Wed Sep 24 2003 04:30 AM

Thank you. Looking now.. couldn't sleep for no real reason thought I'd read a bit so thanks.

My feeling is that it wants to go El Nino... just a feeling, nothing to back it up. Ok.. maybe just from observation.

Whoever said this was a neutral year I think was most correct, I know its listed as La Nina (mild) but think if you watch on a daily, weekly base there is a lot of seesawing of energy.

Thanks, will read.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Weather Master

Loc: W. Central Florida
Re: Hey Steve
      #13298 - Wed Sep 24 2003 07:15 AM

Hey Guys quick post this AM, has anyone noticed the 00Z CMC run? Have to say I was suprised to see how aggressive the model is at this point. Don't have time for all the runs this morning. Florida Penn. is target but certain amount of comfort in that, as the models will make their usual shifts. Bad thing though if it does materialize someone is goin to feel some heat. Catch ya later, have a good one!

--------------------
TONI

All of us could take a lesson from the weather:
It pays no attention to criticism

My 2003 Hurricane guess 13-9-3

Edited by 57497479 (Wed Sep 24 2003 08:16 AM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Yeah...Bastardi has been screaming Florida all summer
      #13299 - Wed Sep 24 2003 08:34 AM

Seems the place to look right now..

Notice the area south of Cuba has sort of congealed a bit into a round ball...maybe just a temporary illusion or a trend.

Which is it?

--------------------

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Yeah...Bastardi has been screaming Florida all summer
      #13300 - Wed Sep 24 2003 09:55 AM

on the psu site i use for the models the only 2 that are current are the CMC and the gfl.(and it focuses on marty) does anyone have a site that hass all the current ones? the CMC sure has a wet windy monday for naples/tampa

Beach
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: It Must Be September
      #13301 - Wed Sep 24 2003 10:06 AM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/watl-wv-loop.html

I think the thunderstorms passing 50W / 15N might be interesting 3-4 days down the road.
Note:, it has been surrounded by really dry air for the last couple of days, but still is increasing in thunderstorm activity.
any thoughts...

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
Re: It Must Be September
      #13302 - Wed Sep 24 2003 10:25 AM

Watching convection building at 13n 78w. It is by no means a persistent formation but interesting in light of the latest runs of the AVN and CMC showing some type of development in that area.

As for the W. ATL and points east, the old Saharan Tropical System Killing dust has been prominent.

--------------------
Jara

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Andi...
      #13303 - Wed Sep 24 2003 10:34 AM

NCEP has most of the US generated models, and then independentwx.com has a link to most of the other models from their "Atlantic Basin" link. Also, Unisys has their fair share as well.
------------------------------------------------------
I agree with Bobbi on the potential for Florida. Something's probably going to happen this weekend (per ECMWF, CMC) but it's not going to be 'the' big-ticket item. There's either gonna be a deep tropical flow setup or maybe a TD or TS.

There's also a chance (per Joe B) that the Canadian Maritimes could see some tropical action via the mass sitting out in the western Atlantic. Let me see if he's got anything on his site.
-------------------------------------------------------
TROPICS: TWO POSSIBLE DEVELOPMENTS OVER THE NEXT FIVE DAYS First, our friends in Bermuda and in the Canadian Maritimes should keep a close watch on the cluster of thunderstorms about 200 miles south-southeast of Bermuda. This is one of these conversion systems that may become tropical. The Atlantic ridge and its feedback warmth is serving to trap the system, and it may just mill around slowly northward over the next three or four days waiting for the eventual move eastward by the trof to pick it up. In the wake of the Karen debacle, I cannot see why a low pressure over 85-degree water would be classified as non-tropical as, once again, the tired old purist arguments arise. I will do my part to avoid it here, except to state that Bermuda, and then maybe early next week the Maritimes, may have effects from a storm that came from the Tropics that had gales and heavy rain. Again, of most concern first is Bermuda.

The western Caribbean is the next problem spot. Once again, the instant look may not be favorable, but the pattern rapidly improves overall over the next four days as a strong trof in the means near 90 west ventilates this area in the means. The call is for low pressure to develop Friday over the northwest Caribbean, then take aim on Florida this weekend. Crucial questions as to how strong it will get I cannot answer now, except to say there is a tropical storm or hurricane concern by me this weekend for you folks there. Of course, I may be jumping too early given my stated position, but consider the following: the subtropical ridge is suppressed to near 20 north to the east, so it's not likely this just proceeds eastward, but will instead come northward. The water is warm there, and the season is late. It fits with the overall pattern for both the 90 west trof that develops and something we will be watching for the rest of the season. At the very least, this will enhance rainfall over an area that doesn't need it.
-----------------------------------------------------
Time to watch the Tropical Update.

Steve

--------------------

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: cocoa beach
South of Cuba
      #13304 - Wed Sep 24 2003 11:29 AM

sat image for the area just south of Cuba

here is a link to a loop right here

Edited by troy2 (Wed Sep 24 2003 11:32 AM)

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: South of Cuba
      #13305 - Wed Sep 24 2003 11:34 AM

>>here is a link to a loop right here.

Classic. "I gotcho loop, /rite hea'/."

You can see the trof split to the west building a ridge overtop of that blob of convection. As noted on Joe B's tropical update, it's not the pattern itself, but the change in the pattern preceeding this development. If it cranks, I could see a 60mph TS down the road for Monday, but I ain't making that call yet. The Canadian is VERY BULLISH on the system, European much slower (time and intensity).

Steve

--------------------

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
      #13306 - Wed Sep 24 2003 11:39 AM

It appears from the 11am Update that we weren't grasping at straws....

Tropical Weather Outlook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABNT20 KNHC 241507
TWOAT
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1130 AM EDT WED SEP 24 2003

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER CENTERED ABOUT 275 MILES SOUTH-
SOUTHEAST OF BERMUDA CONTINUES TO SHOW SOME SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION.
THIS SYSTEM HAS SOME POTENTIAL FOR EITHER TROPICAL OR NON-TROPICAL
DEVELOPMENT AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHEAST.

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS CENTERED SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES SOUTHWEST
OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A STRONG TROPICAL
WAVE. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE FORECAST TO BE UNFAVORABLE FOR
SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT.

A SMALL AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER HAS DEVELOPED IN THE SOUTHWESTERN
CARIBBEAN SEA BETWEEN COLOMBIA AND JAMAICA. THIS SYSTEM IS
CURRENTLY DISORGANIZED BUT UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE FORECAST TO BECOME
A LITTLE MORE FAVORABLE FOR SLOW DEVELOPMENT DURING THE NEXT FEW
DAYS.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH
THURSDAY.

--------------------
Jara

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: cocoa beach
      #13307 - Wed Sep 24 2003 11:49 AM

>>Classic. "I gotcho loop, /rite hea'/."

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

wave out there
      #13308 - Wed Sep 24 2003 11:50 AM

Noticed it yesterday, sort of amazed at its tenacity to seem to want to survive despite such dry conditions.

Things like that always catch my attention but its got to twist, is it twisting..that's the question.

Watching the Carib a bit, heard the Canadian could be accused of working for Bastardi

--------------------

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: wet Fla. weekend?
      #13309 - Wed Sep 24 2003 12:34 PM

From JB's commentary this morning:

Another area to watch, as far as tropical development, is the western Caribbean. There is nothing well organized at this time; however, there is a cluster of thunderstorms off the Central American coast. However, with the trough axis over the Tennessee-Ohio Valley-Great Lakes region, that leaves room for lowering of surface pressure in the western Caribbean later this week, and room for that tropical moisture to be drawn northward. It remains to be seen whether or not an actual strong, well-organized tropical low comes out of this; at the very least, Florida should be quite wet this weekend.

TG

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 65447

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center