F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

2024's Atlantic name list reuses 2018s, with Milton replacing Michael, and Francine Replacing Florence.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 245 (Idalia) , Major: 245 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 245 (Idalia) Major: 245 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
Steve hirsch.
Unregistered

Re: From Joe B [Re: LI Phil]
      #15163 - Thu Jun 10 2004 03:21 PM

Well, if I just awoke from a long winter's nap and clicked on a satelite shot of the NW Caribbean, I would definitely say.....hhhhmmmmmmmmm. Cheers!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: From Joe B [Re: Steve hirsch.]
      #15165 - Thu Jun 10 2004 04:06 PM

Western Carib looking interesting, even though no models are picking up on development., also wave exiting Africa looking strong for now.

AJ

--------------------
Tropical Cyclones: "Mother nature's heat transfer machines"

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: From Joe B [Re: Tropics Guy]
      #15166 - Thu Jun 10 2004 04:18 PM

That wave does look fairly impressive (at the moment). Having said that though things are still a long way from favourable. The water temperatures have recently fallen in that area. However, on the other hand, notice how far north the heat has spread in the W. Atlantic in just a week.

Real Time POES Imagery - Atlantic/East Pacific SST Loop

Steve hirsch.
Unregistered

Re: From Joe B [Re: James88]
      #15167 - Thu Jun 10 2004 04:33 PM

Yeah I noticed that also. SSTs from 50W on westward are taking off. Lake Worth 83 degrees this morning. East Atlantic is where it should be now temp wise, but the western Atlantic is cooking. This year we don't have the cold water on the Florida east coast like we had last year! We'll have a bath tub soon!!

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Florida Big Bend
Gulf SSTs [Re: Steve hirsch.]
      #15168 - Thu Jun 10 2004 04:49 PM

85 degrees at St. Marks this am---has been rising all week.PCB= 80 degrees. Plenty warm enough, not deep enough yet....

sc

Cycloneye
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Puerto Rico
SST'S [Re: summercyclone]
      #15169 - Thu Jun 10 2004 05:15 PM

Here in the beaches of Puerto Rico I went this morning to see for myself and feel how the water is and it is warming big time compared with a month ago.84*F was the surface temp at the north coast of PR and as Steve says it is becoming a bathtub in the caribbean and west of 50w.

--------------------
My 2004 hurricane season forecast=13/8/3

Edited by Cycloneye (Thu Jun 10 2004 05:15 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: SST'S [Re: Cycloneye]
      #15170 - Thu Jun 10 2004 05:24 PM

I don't know about ya'll but the NW caribbean sure is looking pretty awesome for a system that has no chance of development. It kind of reminds me of Allison 3 years ago when the NHC said there was no chance for her until she was right on top of us and they finally had to give her a name. I remember looking at her when she looked exactly like this and saying to myself that there was something going on there. Maybe this time they are right, but then again, maybe they're wrong.

SoonerShawn ( a.k.a. ShawnS)

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: SC and NW Carib [Re: Anonymous]
      #15171 - Thu Jun 10 2004 05:48 PM

Well, it's early afternoon, and what have we got?

1. Off SC, there is obviously a circulation, looks low level, but, also, it is getting stretched nne-ssw and sheared. It is organized, however. TWT= time will tell.

2. NW Carib definitely looks like it is spinning up, but, hard to tell how much is on the surface. However, there is definite cyclonic curvature, and convection is firing. Wonder if pressures are falling at the surface?? Definitely bears watching...

sc

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: SC and NW Carib [Re: summercyclone]
      #15172 - Thu Jun 10 2004 05:56 PM

Well check this out Interesting http://www.wunderground.com/global/JM.html

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: SC and NW Carib [Re: summercyclone]
      #15173 - Thu Jun 10 2004 05:57 PM

Maybe if the system continues to develop it will be assigned an invest, or at the very least get a mention in the Tropical Weather Outlook. I will agree with what others have said - there do seem to be some comparisons with Allison in '01.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: feeding or being fed [Re: James88]
      #15174 - Thu Jun 10 2004 06:19 PM

If you look at the feature in the SW Caribbean on a WV loop is it being fed the air on the W side or is it feeding on the W side.I really cannot tell.Seems to me if it is feeding maybe something happening?I really do not see alot of signature for rotation yet except maybe a little at mid-level maybe.If it is feeding though then a rotation has to provide the influx.Just some thoughts.Maybe someone on the board could provide some insight.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Tropical Outlook from accuwx [Re: javlin]
      #15175 - Thu Jun 10 2004 06:36 PM

accuwx has said this about the disturbance off the Yucatan:

"However, a wave along 89 west is interacting with an upper level system near the Yucatan. This interaction is causing considerable cloudiness and large thunderstorm clusters just northeast east and southeast of the Honduran and Nicaraguan coastal areas. This is an area of disturbed weather that will have to be watched. Currently all the unsettled weather is mostly being caused by the upper level system just east of the Yucatan of Mexico. Current global computer models show no lower level organization to this system during the next few days."

The models may not be developing it, but it sure does look healthy enough to develop. I'm wondering if NRL will put up an invest anytime soon...

Cheers & Peace,

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tropical Outlook from accuwx [Re: LI Phil]
      #15176 - Thu Jun 10 2004 06:43 PM

Weather on Roatan island, just off the north coast of Honduras., winds from the south and the pressure 29.88 and falling. A LLC may be trying to form in the area.

AJ

--------------------

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: SC and NW Carib [Re: Anonymous]
      #15177 - Thu Jun 10 2004 06:43 PM

Pressures are not too low, but definitely, windy there! Thanks!

I did notice rope clouds on the west side of the disturbed area, these normally do not indicate a developing trend...twt

sc

summercyclone
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re:Roatan [Re: Tropics Guy]
      #15178 - Thu Jun 10 2004 06:45 PM

Thanks --the most significant thing about that ob is the south wind....

sc

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Tropical Outlook from accuwx [Re: LI Phil]
      #15179 - Thu Jun 10 2004 06:45 PM

That kind of answers the ? If it is being fed does not that cause something like a false echo.The upper level looks to be developing but it is actually not.The signature of rotation is actually caused by the upper level system's interaction with the wave.See how this plays out.I do not feel like tipping the boat either way.

Wild Cat
Unregistered

Question about the Clouds in the Carib [Re: javlin]
      #15181 - Thu Jun 10 2004 07:03 PM

I have a question for some of you who know more than me about the Tropics. When I look at the satelite the clouds from the Carib look like a frontal boundary. I know its not a frontal boundary, but it does look connected. So, my question is--Is the area of cloudiness in the NW Carib connected to the area of rain over Florida? What they call a trof axis, or something like that. It seems to be part of an elongated trof of some kind. From the NW Carib up to that area off of South Carolina actually. Does anyone else see this?

Tropics Guy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: JB's take on the Carib [Re: Wild Cat]
      #15182 - Thu Jun 10 2004 08:36 PM

From JB's afternoon comments:
wave along 89 west is interacting with an upper level system near the Yucatan. This interaction is causing considerable cloudiness and large thunderstorm clusters just northeast east and southeast of the Honduran and Nicaraguan coastal areas. This is an area of disturbed weather that will have to be watched. Currently all the unsettled weather is mostly being caused by the upper level system just east of the Yucatan of Mexico. Current global computer models show no lower level organization to this system during the next few days.

AJ

--------------------

James88
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Question about the Clouds in the Carib [Re: Wild Cat]
      #15183 - Thu Jun 10 2004 08:36 PM

I see what you mean. It does seem to have the appearance of an elongated trough, but that's just what I can see. I may be wrong. The Tropical Weather Outlook has finally given the system a mention, but doesn't expect much:-

AN AREA OF CLOUDINESS AND THUNDRSTORMS OVER THE NORTHWESTERN
CARIBBEAN SEA IS PRIMARILY ASSOCIATED WITH AN UPPER-LEVEL LOW
PRESSURE AREA. TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT LIKELY.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: JB's take on the Carib [Re: Tropics Guy]
      #15184 - Thu Jun 10 2004 08:40 PM

Tropics Guy,

I posted that very quote about 8 posts before you. You even replied to it. LOL

LI Phil

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 58411

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center